SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All

I have had a look at the Houston scale auto racing site, and am going through their rules at the moment, but need some more examples...

Our local club is a wooden magnabraid track, with most of the rules being magnet rules. They are running a whole bunch of classes too -- everything from Fly Classics to DTM to Group 5 and even trucks. The problem I see is that a racing truck is as fast as a Rally car.

Most of the club members are committed to magnets, so getting them to adopt lead is going to be difficult.

So, does anyone have any racing rules for a wide variety of classes, that will maintain the relative performance differences between the cars. For example:

off-road, truck, rally, road sportscar, Nascar, DTM & touring car, Le Mans GT class, LMP2, LMP1, F1 in terms of slow to fast ...

any help or links would be greatlky appreciated.

T

·
Registered
74 Posts
The magazine "Model Car Racing" is all about performance parity. Every issue has an article or more on the subject. The problem lies in magnets. They are such an easy performance upgrade, that it is very hard to limit. In our local racing club we use a set of class breakdowns that start with no magnets, and allow only gearing, wheel and tire, and weight changes. At least, this gets things slowed down enough to actually drive the cars, instead of just waiting for the sounds of your car hitting the floor. Since we only race cars with other cars that should be on the track together, the tryue performance level isn't as critical. The more modernm=n cars with wider tracks and tires tend to be a litlle faster than the old skinny tire, narrow cars.We looked at classifying magnets by several arbitrary limits, like the "upside down test" (where cars would be limited to less than the ability to "hang" on the track that we would be racing on that nite), but finally decided to run mostly without magnets. Running both magnet and non-magnet cars the same evening is a bit of a thrill, too.
I am really in favor of eliminating magnets, and building with scale size tires. The tire size effectively limits the amount of power that you can put down, especially with the usual amp-poor home set power supplies.
Another way to sort out the performance to more or less prototypical values is to use a variable power supply. If you just use 8, 10, and 12 volts, you have effectively created three performance groups. Use 8 volts for the cars that you want to be slower, and so on. If you start with three or four voltage groups, then no magnets except for the cars that you want to be the very fastest, like current F.1, you are well on the way to dealing with the speed issues.
The paradox of all of this is that it supposed to be racing, where you naturally try your darndest to whip your mates. Any effort to control performance, or to make all the cars equal is akin to NASCAR, Americas' premier entertainment sport. Racing it isn't.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI

Please can you detail your current weight limits for the various classes you run..

Currently, we use a digital scale with fixed plate above the sensor. Every car is placed on the plate, and the negative attraction measured upwards shows the amount of mangentic downforce. Classes are defined around these measures.

My main gripe is that the scale speeds are being lost. Trucks are as fast as slow Group 5's for example. The Group 5's are as fast as Le Mans GT class.

see my dilemma ??

T

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Coming from HO and never having liked magna it was a simple decision to use copper tape when routing Red Pine.
But then my girlfriend got all fired up when we raced on Classic, at Magna 2 (vertical but not inverted).
So I started to look at this again. On a newly built and bought Sport track.

My conclusion is that magna do help, it evens out the main problems to setting up a modelcar for racing.
And if we set the regulations to:
1) A centrally placed round magnet position.
2) Silikon tires.
3) Magna 1 (not even vertical).
...we seem to get the best of both worlds.
The main feature is your ability to drive the car. The tires and the magna sure helps, but is you that is in control.

From this we can start make small adjustments as to performence, such body types, tire width, more/less magna, weights etc etc.

Vroom!
/Erik

1 - 4 of 4 Posts