SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been done several times before, I'm sure, but this is a slightly different approach .........

First get yourself two identical In-2-out Corner Lane Changers, these can be right or left handed but they must be the same.

post-11296-0-03725100-1543938225.jpg

Turn it over and remove all of the electronics ....

post-11296-0-02409000-1543938315.jpg

Using a flat-bladed screw driver, remove the copper strip that distributes power to the centre lane.

post-11296-0-79055400-1543938649.jpg

Flip the track over. This RLC is a right hander so it is important to work with the side with where the electronics were. Grab an R2 standard curve and use this a template to mark the centre line using a pencil. You may need to tape the two pieces together to ensure a proper alignment and avoid slipping.

post-11296-0-56739600-1543938974.jpg

As the pencil is harder than the track a light groove will be formed thus making the cutting process more accurate. Use a straight edge to draw any parts of the line than were obscured by the lugs on the R2 track piece. A CD marker pen was used to continue the line over the rails.

Repeat all of the above for the second CLC.

The next bit was done in the shed without safety-nets or cameras so nothing to see here .....
wink.png

post-11296-0-38691100-1543938427.jpg

A bandsaw was be used to cut right through the track and the rails so it was important to ensure the tabs that held the copper strip in place were firmly pressed down, tight onto track.

post-11296-0-21463100-1543938563.jpg

The two ends that housed the electronics, are carefully placed on a flat surface and aligned. Once they were as tight as possible, tape was used to fix the whole assembly to the surface. Four pieces of metal were chopped into appropriately sized pieces. One by one they were heated over a burner on the cooker until quite hot then placed across the two-halves as can be seen. Using a heated metal spatula, the pieces were forced down into the track until it was obvious that they were embedded.

post-11296-0-64169500-1543940041.jpg

The separate lugs in the join now had to be bridged to allow the power to flow. The ends were fluxed then copious amounts of solder applied. Finally, the addition of some taps ensured the centre lane would receive power and fully close any gaps.

post-11296-0-17753000-1543940305.jpg

The scar can be concealed to a degree but as it will always be visible, I didn't bother.

Carefull attention needs to be paid when drawing the line for the cuts otherwise the geometry of the final piece will be out and not fit properly into the track.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like it.

Will this new peice work with arc pro or does it need any further modification?

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly, no, because the third lane will cause the Arc-pro PB to short-circuit due to the unbelievable daft way the track is electrically powered .... :(

·
Registered
285 Posts
I wonder if it would work by powering the third lane from the lane it connects to on each half with an insulator section in the area of the join.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a plan to me, I like plans ........ :)

At best it will work and at worst, you will get a short circuit

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Can an out-to-in be changed to an in-to-out?

I know the fixed flipper is smaller than the entry flipper, but the gap that the flippers slot into are identical. I was thinking of changing two out-to-in's i have spare to in-to-out's by reversing the electrics underneath as the plastic track part is a generic piece that scalextric just put the relevant electrics in.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Gary ...... these CLCs can be converted to In-2-Outs. The main problem that you might find is removing the large pin that holds the flippers down. Gentle persuasion with some long-nosed pliers should sort them out. Another "gotcha" can be the electronics ....... make sure that you replace them such that "straight ahead" is the default. If it is not, just swap the solenoids over.

Give me a shout or post up any problems if you get any ....... :)

Reactions: Orc Slayer

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Greg, so can the shorter fixed exit flipper be used for the entry flipper then. I've managed to get the fixed pin out easily enough and was just going to put the electrics back in the other way round as I can see there's already an allocated area to put the electrics at the other end of the track piece.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Gents,

In Greg's original picture if you remove the bottom left green jumper and the top right blue jumper you can use the piece in analogue mode (as in not have to remove the track piece) as it will remove the short circuit between lanes. Then just tape the flippers to "straight through."

Digital is unaffected.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Greg, so can the shorter fixed exit flipper be used for the entry flipper then. I've managed to get the fixed pin out easily enough and was just going to put the electrics back in the other way round as I can see there's already an allocated area to put the electrics at the other end of the track piece.
Yes. Some CLCs had the exit flipper fixed with a large pin to prevent short-circuits. The early ones did not have this feature. In your case, it sounds as though all you need to do is to re-locate the electronics and solenoids to the other flipper, paying attention to which one of the solenoids provides the "straight-ahead" setting.

Reactions: Orc Slayer

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Greg that's great to here. It looks like I also have a similar size hole for the pin to go where the longer flipper is located so I can drop in the removed pin to fix the flipper. I think I may have another clc exactly the same and if so I may go ahead and use these track sections to create a racing line section on my track. I'll post up a couple of photos if this is the case when I get home from work. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts