SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. So I am in the final stages of designing my track, but what I would like to know about routing the slots to follow a racing line. I have a few questions about racing lines on slot tracks...

1) Is this only for digital or can this work on analog tracks as well?

2) There is really only one racing line through a track, so how does that work with the other car or three?

3) Is there a great advantage in actual track performance, or is this an aesthetic thing to make it look more like 1:1 racing.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
It's up to individual builders to build the their track they way they like it.
Some like racing line routing, some don't.

It usually makes the racing line the quickest way round, although using the alternatives lanes are often only a little slower. Is that a great advantage? Depends on your opinion.

·
Greg Gaub
14,966 Posts
Just route the slot where you would like it to go, then paint the "road" to make it look like the cars ARE taking a racing line. It's really all about appearances.

As for an actual racing line SLOT where all the cars follow in line, no, that can only work with digital. Your cars will all have to have their own slots all the way around, parallel to each other the whole way. You could do a squeeze, just make sure you have enough space between the slots for both sets of tape and a little buffer space as well.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Kellerkind @ 19 Sep 2012, 13:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Routing bestlane is...

-complicated
-unnecessary
-lots of work
-unlogic
-expensive

but: Cool, extremely fun and simply joy! I love it to see the cars go through the curves!

Regards Jens
Jens,

So if I decide to do racing line routing, how do I do the road lines? I know that you use a Sintra strip to follow the slot, this wouldn't work if the slot does not follow the edge of the road. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Heath

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's a little "trickier", Heath.

Since you aren't following the line created by the slot you have to create it yourself. You might start by freehanding it on your surface, or on some paper, and then smooth it out using something like a Sintra strip bent to form the desired curve, which you can then draw against. You could also try something like a flexible plastic or rubber tube. If you have computer drawing skills, you could lay it out first that way.

Keep in mind that the track width usually remains constant, while your racing line will get closer to the apex, which you may want to define w/ a curb, and then widens out on corner exit, which you may want to define by a curb, asphalt, grass, a gravel trap, or a combination.

Lots of data out there re actual track layouts to give you ideas.

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
...yes, nearly nothing to say else, just agree with paulporsches statements.

Just one thing: In our case the slot doesnt follow the road but the road has to follow the slots to make them look racelinelike. You route your slots and make them bestlane by drawing the road around. I sketch the road out by bending a highly flexible lexanstripe alongside the inner radius of the curve first ( this is where the cars will have the most little space), draw the line and then draw the opposite line by nailing the stripe down in the width of road that I defined before. Means that the slots themthelves cant be used as a kind of direct guide for drawing the lines.

Regards Jens

1 - 8 of 8 Posts