SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
A while back Bob Scott, a great professional track builder, and I collaborated on a Radiator Springs inspired track. Bob did the routing and benchwork, and I did the scenery. It turned out so well that we talked of another "bigger and better version." Alas, life happened and the project got stalled, Bob moved out of state, and he gave me the routed frame before he left. It's sat for a while, but now I need to get it out of my garage to move on to another project. So, I'm finishing it off.

Here was Bob's original routing based on my plan. It was routed in 1/43 scale, and it's about 3.5' x 10'. The double spiral was some fancy routing! Bob's really a great professional track builder...

Bob then painted it, and it sat. Eventually, he dropped it off at my place--just a frame.

The last couple of weeks, I've added the basic rock formations and did the elevations. There will be a small town, which I still need to plant in the scenery. I'm waiting on magnabraid to finish the scenery for the whimsical double spiral. I'll try to add a large rock formation coming up out of the middle of the double spiral.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Wow Bill you'll need to work fast on this one, so you've got space to do Porto Corsa!

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
I see that a fast track approach (get it?) is called for. Looking forward to following this series, including the spiral challenge. Great work so far, as are all your inspiring projects.

Br,
Christian

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little paint and it starts to "pop" ...

I usually start my painting using a black spray paint--it gets in all the cracks of the rocks and creates the base. Then just the standard colors--umber, sienna, ochre, and dry brushing white.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Great sprint work Bill, you must be the master of making it look easy. Just cover it in black, then add the normal colours and bing you are there....... Well done! Per

·
Registered
581 Posts
Looks great!!! Very interested to see how you will treat that spiral!

I have often wondered if one could place a 1-1.5" high plastic divider between two lanes of a hidden spiral to help prevent cars from deslotting (or even drifting too much) if scenery hides the track from view. Of course, some kind of easy access would still be needed. I've never tried it...maybe someday.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wow Bill, you work so damn fast, and it looks so good. And you make it sound so simple.

Looking forward to see this and the next one progress.

Andrew

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I "planted" Flo's V-8 Cafe, and wired the electrical lights on the two buildings together. Actually, wiring the lighting for the two buildings together took the most time. I'm just terrible at delicate soldering! And, I'm trying something new for the water -- a product called "ModPodge". I'll post some photos when it dries. A few groups of trees also really liven up the layout.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would love to add a backdrop, but this doesn't have a permanent home. So, just hints of a background for it...

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Almost done with the scenery now. Just waiting for magnabraid so that I can lay the braid and wire the track. I don't want to do the scenery for the double spiral until the magnabraid is laid so I'm just waiting now. In the meantime, some photos...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hi Bill,

I liked the froth and foam on the water as it flowed out of the gorge and then settled down, but you seem to have muted it down rather !!.

I realise that the buildings are a bit "toytown", but the scenery is terrific.

Brilliant as always, non-theless.

vbr Chris A.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (CJA @ 23 Jan 2012, 03:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I liked the froth and foam on the water as it flowed out of the gorge and then settled down, but you seem to have muted it down rather !!.

vbr Chris A.
well, the white look is just how the Modpodge looks while it's drying. To get a really nice looking rapids is a difficult effect to achieve. It's hard to capture the look of the water in pictures, but there is a sense of movement though not rushing white water. In general, the blue is unrealistically blue, but I'm trying to create a cartoonish look to the scenery--just a bit too bright. The three main buildings are from Disney playsets...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi Bill,

I like your scenery! Well done.

As i also need some water effects on my layout - I have been putting it of for a long time because I do not get hold of water scenics stuff in SA.

I have been looking at modgepodge as this available.

Question: how many layers did you pour to get the effect?

Cheers!

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (TeeKay @ 23 Jan 2012, 09:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As i also need some water effects on my layout - I have been putting it of for a long time because I do not get hold of water scenics stuff in SA.

I have been looking at modgepodge as this available.

Question: how many layers did you pour to get the effect?Here's a closer view of the water. Actually, this is just one application of Modgepodge. First time I've used it. Works well, much like Acrylic Gloss Medium and WS Realistic Water. It's widely available so that's a plus. I've used most of the products for water including Envirotex (outstanding for still or deep water), Resin, Clear Caulk (great for creating waves/waterfalls), hot glue, clear plastic, Acrylic Gloss Medium, Urthethanes, all the Woodland Scenics products. I wouldn't bother with Woodland Scenics products for water--just really expensive ModgePodge/Acrylic Gloss Medium.

I'd say the more, the better the effect. The key to a realistic result is the job you do painting before you apply the ModgePodge (or whatever else you use). For this project, it's not meant to be overly realistic as it's the cartoon town of Radiator Springs.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
My real dilemma is how to do a guardrail for the double spiral. I was thinking some kind of solid plastic that could be attached to the MDF? The center of the spiral will be a tall rock formation (which I've already created out of foam and plaster and awaits the braid to be inserted). The harder part is the outside of the spiral, which has to function as a guardrail. I'd like to keep it simple and keep the costs low, of course. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts