SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just acquired (ok shelled out not too much for) an SCX Impreza. I was wondering which tyres to put on it. Are the originals good or should I bung a set of Ortmans on it?

I'm well aware that ppl have their own opinions on cars and no doubt I'll get a comment along the lines of "you shouldn't have bought one of THOSE" etc. Whilst I would welcome feedback telling me about the best rally models, I've got the scooby and nowt much will change it, so ner.

Comments, opinions, healthy debate etc.....

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
I presume its for wrexham I lent my scx toyota to nick hirst last time and it ran well on standard rubber ,and thats what Im using this time ,but youll probably get more grip with the ortmans ,But arent rally cars suposed to go sideways my 3litre capri always did(even on the straights)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I got one, I can only suggest some sipa04's and ortmanns for our track.

my Imp. had awesfully oblong wheels so I swopped them out

Rob.

·
Registered
752 Posts
QUOTE I presume its for wrexham I lent my scx toyota to nick hirst last time

...from what I recall that particular driver/car combo was the second quickest on the day ***COUGH**after me***COUGH***

Not altogether convinced 'bout Ortmanns on rally cars......

-Rob

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

Yes rally cars are supposed to go sideways Graham, but the 4wd boys do it faster! By the time we've straightened a Capri out, they've done a runner (2.8i's are simliar to 3.0s - both have cart springs on the back
)

With the exceptions of dedicated rally tracks, routed or plastic made to look like a forest stage, most tracks represent nice grippy tarmac. As such most 1:1 rally cars would be running nice, fat slicks. No reason why 1:32 ones shouldn't follow suit, if only for looks if not performance. At this point I'd better not mention that my scooby is the one with "snow" effect on it, so should really be running snow or ice tyres
FWIW I think someone sneezed over a bottle of Tippex next to the car

Mark.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
We`ve had nitemares at P*&!!*! with those Imps, as with Int, seriously oblong wheels so a lot of sanding of hubs and then fit ProSlot 4004 tyres 19 x 11. Magic grip and providing you take the edges off as per Grah 1 they will still slide. I promise you will not need timing to see the difference in straight line and cornering speeds

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
ice tyres 1/2 the width add studs drives like slicks on dry tarmac just lean on the snow banks a bit and dont brake!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
You`ll be alright mate they are all mad as snakes and you are of sound character. Imagine if it was poor Int up in front of...they`d throw the key away!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Ouch that has gotta hurt. To be honest it looks like the side of my Land Rover now except....it needs a PHOENIX SCALEXTRIC CLUB sticker! How sad is that Int ?Want one?

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Most or the guys down here run the standard SCX or Ninco 19 X 10 slicks on the SCx. The GOM's are my preference for the front almosts gets them off the track! We are running on routed tracks with the cars weighted about 100grams.

Phil

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right, to get this topic back on track, if I decide to change the actual wheels, do slot it or whoever make look-alike impreza wheels?

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That weight is gonna make a big difference Phil. We can`t use it in our rules but as a matter of interest where do you fit the weight?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (Intergrali @ 22 Jan 2004, 12:57 AM)good chance my dad might end up there.. some berk ran their dropside thing down the side of our BM
Somebody did the same to my XR2 back in the day, although admittedly nowhere near as bad. Utterly, utterly pointless - I can understand theft since a tea-leaf gets something out of that but never understood what people gain from vandalism. It isn't just 'jealously' cars either, some little turd did my sisters 1.2 Clio as well!

Coop

1 - 20 of 25 Posts