SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Zipp is just way way too fast for me.

I have now watched the mini rally track video about a bazillion times and only two words kept leaving my lips ... "Want" and the word "NEEED"

They say that forgery is the highest compliment so here I go.

I had a little bit more space than Zipp and the crazy dutch guys so mine is about 3.5 feet x 8 feet and I have a nice piece of 18mm MDF in my garage that needs a purpose in life.

I also happened to have a ply board on trestles in my workshop (tip) so I started bunging some track down. I will be going for a little less elevation to keep a good line of site for the far right corner as I am such a rubbish driver. Also have 3 crossovers so you use both lanes each lap.

Anyway here it is so far ...

and

Who is going to be next ?

Racebaan and friends have started something here - thanks guys

Seeing as my play shed is an old farm building I really should name it in honour to them - I think I will call it RaceBarn - GROAN !

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Hi Rob,

QUOTE Zipp is just way way too fast for me. Not always Rob, you beat me to Swissracers Lightbridge by 30 seconds apparently!
I knew i should have taken speed typing lessons!

Your design looks good. You will have a great deal more flow to the track, with the space you have.

QUOTE I have a nice piece of 18mm MDF in my garage that needs a purpose in life. Maybe introduce it to Mr Router. They would get along fine!

QUOTE my play shed is an old farm building You are making me jealous now, all that space!!
and materials!

QUOTE I will call it RaceBarn nice touch
I'm sure they will be honored.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Great circuit.
Gonna look fantastic when finished.
Would love to see this vid you all keep harping on about,but I don't know where to look.
Also are there any pics of this inspirational rally track.
Please help and post a link.

Thanks all.

G

·
yeah ! those Dutch racebanemedinges&rally-trackbouwers are not bad, aren't they !
and it is a lot of fun driving these rallytracks.
especially with the use of FADS !

that are the Fun Accelerating Driving Suplements, like flower, for snow, and cacao-powder, for gravel..

have seen a test of it somewhere.. where was it ...
ah, let somebody tell me !

regards..

Bouwe

G

·
oh, btw.. RobFitz .. Nice man ! never mind it's inspired by another track !
I have one advise though;
make the elevation higher ! it's so much fun hillclimbing and descending and drifting and and. ...

Bouwe

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After some 'testing' at the weekend I like this so much I am considering adding some more space to it and have come up with this ...

I can see the headlines now ...

"Racebaan create world shortage of R1 curves schock horror !"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi,

I do not want to get in between me and my own racefriends BUT when you have that much space, you could also consider the layout of my old Slotracing in the Basement track, which you can see in this movie. The nice thing of that old track is
- the downhill chicane in the upperright corner
- the usage of a scx rally bridge
- the usage of a goodwoodchicane to get around the "mountain"

The tracklayout may still be somewhere on my pc, I'll have a look tonight and I will post it if I can find it!! :)

Cheers,
Damduin

·
Registered
70 Posts
Forgot to ask: What were the headlines on sunday in your newspapers??

---->
""The Dutch not only help us designing new rallytracks, but even help us qualifying for the World Championchip 2006 in Germany!!""

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Damduin

PLEASE PLEASE try and find the track layout for that basement track.

I have already seen that video but could not work out the layout but I did really like the look of it

ALSO yesterday I picked up a Goodwood Chicane - it must be fate

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was all set to pat myself on the back for actually getting started on my rally track before I get distracted with my proposed didgital track - Like I say I 'was' going to but then I saw Zipp has nearly finished his !!! - I might change my cereal to whatever Zipp has in the morning

Anyway here is how far I have gotten so far.

The revised layout is 8 feet x 3 and half feet. Baseboard is a thick piece of MDF and all supports and borders are 6mm MDF.

I know that the Sport track is thicker but I want a change of feel as you drop off the track.

Please excuse the poor pictures

More tomorrow I hope

Wood Floor Flooring Asphalt Electrical wiring

Tire Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood

Hood Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive design Race track Bumper Asphalt

Attachments

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Robfitz,

Give yourself just a little pat!, progress is progress after all

It looks like you are making a good job of it so far.
i like the wicked kink in the last pic, drivers will really have to ease up to negotiate that section.

Do you plan to go higher with the elevations, or will it remain at the current levels?
I look forward to more..

oh, btw, 1 weetabix covered with cornflakes, no sugar & semi skimmed milk!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Zipp

Might change off the Bran Flakes ...

I decided to go for a little less elevation and certainly less than your crazy version

After a little play testing I realised the track could well be fun for other non rally cars too .. caterhams are a blast and I figure it might be a good track for classics too - so ... at the moment the hump bridge and the xovers are deleted as is the first squueze section. When I have all the elevation and borders finished I can then test a little more and make a few hard decisions.

The little wiggle is prefect for stopping the whole of the 'U' section being a flat out blast.

My SensorTrack from Brent Carlson has also arrived so hopefully some base laptimes by the weekend.

I also need to get some main vertical boundaries in (the box bit) so I dont ever have to hear that horrible noise of cars hitting the concrete floor

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Phew this is more work than I thought and doing it all in MDF including the borders with the track sunk in is a lot of work. It would probably have been easier to route it and I will try that next time ...

Anyway 99% of the woodwork is now done.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Race track

Wood Rolling Race track Table Bumper

Tire Wheel Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Automotive tire

Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Wood Automotive design Flooring Composite material Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Hey did the lightbridge turn up? I had to send it economy post as I screwed up the postage costs big time so it might take a little longer than I said.

What happened to the dual track idea? not that the one above isn't looking awesome or anything

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Swissracer

No the lightbridge has not arrived yet but no problem

I decided to a smaller track to try some elevation and scenery first to see how I get on.

I plan to have maybe 3 tracks in total and possibly have a rally section inside each road course - this would make 'Rally Nights' great fun I hope as we could run in each direction on each track to make up a whole rally series.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.