Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Looks interesting. Is it going to be flat? Or will it have elevations/gradients? What base material are you using - MDF?

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
The design is definitely interesting, but there is a false sense space in your drawing. The width of the table is just 80cm and the you are doing the width of the road 10cm. This is too little. You will have to either increase the size of the table to allow your design or the redesign the roads.

·
David J
3,182 Posts
I think it looks great. It looks too bendy at first but once you notice that the slot (racing line) is different to the bends on the road it looks very driveable.
Look forward to seeing this one develop, good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 17 Mar 2012, 15:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think 10cm is plenty wide enough, parts of my rally track are only 75mm wide, it teachs you to drive properley.

Is your track also 7.5cm on the curves? Maybe I am loosing touch, but this track feels to me to be impossible. There are curves that are 7.5cm of radius for the slot at 12.5cm of radius for the outside edge of the road.

I have no problems with the design just the scale. Thekop, please just draw the car in some spots of your drawing in particular on the curves and you will see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi.
Thanks for your input. This is just a first draft. I´m going to draw it on to the MDF:s to see how it works out. It´s not an exact drawing .It still have some space outside the slot that I can work with. Some curves will surely need some modifying. I´m going to give it a go. Let´s see.

Trial and error right?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (rallyP @ 17 Mar 2012, 22:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is your track also 7.5cm on the curves? Maybe I am loosing touch, but this track feels to me to be impossible.

Yes the 7.5cm wide bits are bends with no barriers or borders, it means you have to go round without sliding the car, the radius is the same as the outer of a Scalextric radius 1 bend (I don't know the exact diameter), I have other parts where you can slide the car round the bend - the mixture makes for an interesting challenge.

I uesd to have run off on every bend but I found it a bit too easy to get a wide car round quickly, with the narrow track it gives the narrow cars like the SCX Renault Alpine more of a chance, though the quickest car round it is a Ninco Focus.

But everyone is different, and my idea of a fun challenge could well be someone else's idea of frustration.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I think 10 cm is great for a single lane straight as well as corners if you like them tight. You might want to throw in a few curves that have an additional 4-5 cm of tail-room slide just for interest and variation. At the end of a straight for example or part way through a tight section.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I still think 10cm width on tight curves like you have on your drawing can really be a problem. Please try some of them on an extra piece of MDF, before put them on the permanent layout.
Also as slots-O-fun says you should have some curves where you are allowed to slide, just because it is fun to slide and you do not want to miss it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I think you will find that when you have drawn your 'road and track' on the MDF you will tweak the slot line slightly. This is a natural development in any track build. I do agree that some corners would be good with a bit of slide. I would make them on the gravel areas. Maybe increase the road coloured section and keep that tight, where you need to keep the car 'straight'. But it is your design and you should just do it the way you want it.
Do you have any idea of time scale of the build?
Have you thought about downloading Ultimate Racer 3 to design your track. I found it helped when judging the tightness of the bends. It lets you know just how much you can fit into a space.
Really looking forward to seeing it progress.
Good luck.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
If you allow about 100mm or a little more for now, then get the track running and see where the cars run. As you add scenery you can narrow the track down using the scenery. I have used expanding foam for my scenery and it can easily be trimmed,also when the Rally car bounce off it there is now damage.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
It looks great! On the other end of the straight I would recommend a large radius curve so that you can have two different experiences.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts