SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
NOTE: THE LINKS TO PHOTOS ON THIS THREAD WERE LOST AND PHOTOS RESTORED (AS BEST AS POSSIBLE)

I'm starting a new thread as my thinking about my next track has evolved. Originally, I was going to do a "Bridge Rally" with one long bridge and a valley below. After more thought, I'm going back to an old idea--the Rallye des Alpes. My space allows me a long narrow layout (12'x3' or about 4m*1m). I've got two basic ideas for that layout. One with switchbacks on the right side, and the other with a spiral. I like spirals because they can be easy to drive and fast, but it may enough offer the driver enough variety.

I started with these plans:

Ecoregion Rectangle Asphalt Land lot Urban design

Ecoregion Infrastructure Asphalt Land lot Urban design

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like both versions, but in my opinion the second version would be more entertaining to drive. This ist my current layout, which goes in the same direction as your track plans. It should fit (almost
) in your available space.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the 2nd design the best, but I would remove the hairpin the the middle and replace it with the one in the first picture, You can still achieve it if you had long gradual turns coming out of the town before the hairpin. I feel the 3 haipins in the 2nd design and a bit repetive.

Also looking at the bend going over the long straight. Would that not block line of sight towards the bend opposite?

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
A bit. I'll try to address this with some adjustments. At the same time, I tend to think of "blindspots" as features of the layout that drivers have to cope with. I know some people just hate any blindspots. I'm trying to balance scenic layout with the fun of driving the layout.

I found some great photos of the Old Port (Vieux Port) in Marseille. This will make for some great inspiration for scenery. I'm looking forward to having a working lighthouse modelled after the Phare de Sainte Marie!

Here's some inspiration for the gatehouse and walls leading down to the lighthouse.
A detailed view of the Phare de Sainte Marie (lighthouse).
Cloud Lighthouse Sky Water Building

Along the water...
Water Cloud Sky Boat Building

Attachments

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Looks good!
If you need more inspiration, watch the Giro d'Italia on TV which started this past weekend....
Lots of scenic views of Italy to draw upon. They started this cycling event in Naples and will be going CCW around Italy over the next 3 weeks.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Hi Bill,

Marseille should give a nice scenery... but no Rally des Alpes then? As, for an american, you're kinda familiar with central/southern europe, you should know that Marseille has nothin to do with the alpes.

Or does the track "span" such a wide scale?

EDIT: "nothing" maybe goes a bit too far, but I wouldn't expect or set Marseille in an alpine scenery.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
There's no way to really do most race tracks in scale--certainly not a rally like the Alpine Rally. The Alpine Rally traditionally began at Marseille and climbed into the Alps. And, I will scenes inspired by the race. I like to think of it as Impressionism!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like this concept. If you can´t build a slotcar-track in scale, take the most characteristic elements of the scenery you want to represent and compress erverything so much that scale doesn´t matter any more. Sounds like some kind of Zen-Track-Modelling. Or is it Zen-Slotcarism?

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (Biberle @ 6 May 2013, 16:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Marseille should give a nice scenery... but no Rally des Alpes then? As, for an american, you're kinda familiar with central/southern europe, you should know that Marseille has nothing to do with the alpes.

Or does the track "span" such a wide scale?

Here's one typical route for the "Coupe des Alpes" (originally, the Rallye des Alpes). I'm scaling the whole thing into 12x3' (4m*1m). Too much? It's just three or four scenes loosely based on the race. If I had found some good scenery, I would have used Cannes (which was also sometimes the start or finish point).
World Map Font Line Parallel

Attachments

·
Ian
99 Posts
Hi Bill,
May I be so bold
to suggest the coastline section shouldn't be straight, these old towns always had a twisty section built around the bay area, harbour could be accessed with a bridge section and your lighthouse on a rocky outcrop.

One to watch

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Thanks for the link Pedemann; and, Ian, you're quite right. And yet, design is all a matter of space. I've been tweaking the design in part to address Ian's observation. Still, I want to make a track that fits the space I have so I'm stuck with 3'x12' (or about 1m x 4m). I probably will add some wiggles when I'm actually routing, but I want to have some buildings in the Old Port. Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Looking forward to this one Bill. Is it for your own use or was it ordered?

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
It's for me. I don't know that I'll build another one to order (like I did with the last one). I suppose I'll eventually sell it, but I'm building to fit my space (not someone else). I do think the size is a nice, convenient size for a smaller track. In any case, it works for me!

I am pondering different alternatives for timing on the track. I'm thinking a DS system would be easiest, but I'd rather use dead strips for timing. Suggestions?

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.