Slot Cars Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hello,
After going over all the threads and personally using the SCX and Carrera Digital systems. Here is how they rate in the U.S. from an adult slot car enthusiast perspective. These ratings are based on the out of the box performance and the further potential of each system. This could change after the Toy Fairs as revisions and new products are announced. The ratings are -

1. Carrera PRO-X
2. SCX Digital
3. Scalextric Sport Digital

Some notes about each system -

Carrera PRO-X
positives -
a. works great out of the box.
b. ghost car feature is a great feature that allows racing more cars than available drivers.
c. uses regular Carrera track.
d. the least expensive digital cars on the market.
e. a basic digital system that accepts aftermarket products.
f. 2 year warranty, U.S. customer service number and contact information.
negatives -
a. guide blade can break.
b. limited to 4 cars which on smaller layouts is a good thing.
c. stock power supply could use some more amps.
d. cars made 8/04 didn't have dynamic braking, all cars made 9/04 and after have dynamic braking.

SCX Digital
positives -
a. can race up to 6 cars.
b. each car can be set to novice (slow) or expert (fast).
c. lap counter is easy to read while racing.
d. easy track assembly.
e. gray tack color.
f. double crossover for changing lanes in either direction.
g. accepts additional stock power supplies.
h. 2 year warranty.
negatives -
a. does not accept regular SCX track.
b. all cars stutter for a split seconds when any car crosses the terminal track.
c. no ghost car feature.
d. warranty service is up to the retailer in the U.S., no 1-800 number or U.S. SCX contact information.

SSD
positives -
a. can race up to 6 cars.
b. lots of different race modes.
c. can adjust braking.
d. can convert analog cars to digital with a chip.
e. uses regular Sport track.
f. accepts one additional stock power supply.
g. includes both lap counting and scoring.
h. U.S. customer service number and contact information.
negatives -
a. all lap counting and timing is lost if an error occurs.
b. power loss can be felt when a lane change occurs.
c. system is sensitive to overload errors if braid is not set right, cars are not placed on the track just right, or not enough power to handle multiple cars and lane changes.
d. 90 day warranty.
e. no ghost car feature.
f. lap counter display very hard to read during the race.

Here is what each manufacturer could do to improve there digital system -
Carrera PRO-X
a. increase the amps on the stock power supply.
b. use smaller gage wiring from the power base to the rails.
c. stronger guide blades.

SCX Digital
a. fix the stuttering of the cars when any car crosses the terminal track.
b. implement lap timing to the lap counter.

SSD
a. keep race information in the event of an error so races can be resumed after the error is cleared.
b. come out with a lane change for the straights.
c. extend warranty to 2 years.
d. increase power so a lane change doesn't effect power to the other cars.
e. larger display for lap counting and timing.

* Please note modifying or using aftermarket power supplies will void your manufacturer's warranty.

Feel free to respond with additional information and I will update the list.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
For goodness sake, I know you like Darainbows words on SSD but there is no reason to copy him if, especially if you have nothing new to add.

Carrera - EVERY set sold is broken. The cars have a (as carrera say) FAULTY car chip. They may have known that to start with, but they certainly know it now, the set of chips made before the ones in the sets work fine.

Carrera's commitment to helping those with faulty cars seems minimal. When Darainbow complained in english he was sent an email in german which just said they knew about it. To my knowledge they STILL have not replaced his faulty cars.

So - ALL Carrera was faulty, and SOME SSD was faulty.. hmm so you and Darainbow say Carrera is more reliable?

Both have faults, but Scalextric seem to have been a lot more proactive in solving things and setting their customers right.

Secondly - SSD sometimes for some people loses lap data. That is a big problem which is being addressed. But how can that be worse than a sytem that has NO lap counting? (except for a german $150 version that needs you to drill into tracks and stuff? Oh - and buy a PC if you don't have one?)

Finally the warranty - you and darainbow seem to think Carrera only works properly with higher rated power, voiding the warranty. On top of which, the warranty has not helped the faulty car chips or the worn out guide braids, so what is that worth? At least Scalextric do a lot for their warranty.

Your ratings are as strange as other ones...

[please note - I DO think Carrera is a good product, just as SSD and SCX. But I would rather people chose it for the right reasons, not because of a lot of mistaken notions]

EDIT - bswans original post has changed from the one I originally responded too. The current comparrison chart is better than some which have been published, but the need for any ranking seems odd

·
Registered
218 Posts
so when you rate things you've never used, where is Ninco???
by the way the guys i know who tried digital all liked the scx system the most. in other words: they liked the way how lane changing works on scx the most!

that means nothing to me, one guy likes scalextric classic, another likes fly, some like magnets and some hate them. the non-digital cars made by scalextric or ninco beat every carrera car for me and for a lot of other guys, take a look at club racers for instance(i'm talking about cars not track). some like nintendo, another wants a playstation.some like blond girls, others like brunettes (i like them all).
the same will happen to digital.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (gboulton @ 22 Jan 2005, 09:36)You "rated" something you've never used??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first goal with any race set is to be able to complete the race. SSD is third on the list due to the fact if an error occurs the race timing and scoring is lost. When this problem is corrected, I will buy a set and probably move it up the list. Also, I stated "this could change after the Toy Fairs" as revisions to the current product are announced.

Best regards,
Brian

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dude,

The biggest +ve for SCX is 3 cars in the box.

I have scaly and do agree that a straight double LC would be good. Find the corner LC harder to drive than the standard due to slippage on the crossover steel.

Price is the thing that sucks on all systems. Wife will not give me enough pocket money.

ISHY

·
Registered
522 Posts
QUOTE (Oilslick @ 22 Jan 2005, 16:33)QUOTE (bswan72 @ 22 Jan 2005, 05:48)b. limited to 4 cars which on smaller layouts is a good thing.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How can this EVER be classed as a good thing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There have been no reports of anyone running 5 or 6 cars on SCX or SSD without power sharing.

Quality over quantity.

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 22 Jan 2005, 17:04)There have been no reports of anyone running 5 or 6 cars on SCX or SSD without power sharing.

Quality over quantity.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quantity, has a Quality all of it's own.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Astro: Carrera - EVERY set sold is broken. The cars have a (as carrera say) FAULTY car chip. They may have known that to start with, but they certainly know it now, the set of chips made before the ones in the sets work fine.
The sets currently have cars with brakes. The chip without braking is dated 2003. The chip with braking is 05/04.

Astro: Carrera's commitment to helping those with faulty cars seems minimal. When Darainbow complained in english he was sent an email in german which just said they knew about it. To my knowledge they STILL have not replaced his faulty cars.
Seems minimal? I haven't asked Carrera to replace any of my cars because they lack brakes. I thought the problem would require a new black box, but then they released the cars with braking chip. Still need to see if I can get the chip upgrades from LGBOA. You mention my emails to carrera but you were not involved in that communication. You are starting to sound like Moped.

Astro: Finally the warranty - you and darainbow seem to think Carrera only works properly with higher rated power, voiding the warranty.
Only works well with higher rated power? The stock supply works great with the basic set I tested with two cars. As soon as I upgraded my layout I went straight to aftermarket power, which also works great.

Astro: On top of which, the warranty has not helped the faulty car chips or the worn out guide braids, so what is that worth? At least Scalextric do a lot for their warranty.
Warranty not helped faulty car chips? Or worn out guide braids? In an early experiment where I had two power bases hooked up in the same circuit with stock power supplies, I fried one of the power bases. Because the manual does not say not to do this, I felt it should be covered by warranty. It was replaced without question.

Regarding the guide flag, the front of one of mine chipped after two weeks of hard racing. They are designed for quick release and are sold in packs of four (for $6), so buying a pack of extras was easier than returning the car for warranty replacement. But given my experience with warranty department there would be no problem getting a replacement, but the part costs less than postage. Carrera undeniably has the best warranty support in the USA.

Again, you are starting to sound like Moped.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, well...sometimes one does wonder if the "lift" goes all the way up when it comes to certain individuals. This time I will not mention any names, however&#8230;next time I will.

Now. As we all know, none of these systems are without faults/flaws, they all have there pros and cons as do everything else. But, to simply state that one system is better then its counter part is pretty stupid when that person is trying to point out which system is the better one by being way too biased. Maybe it is his mission in life, some sort of quest to "teach" the rest of us headings what system to choose. I can only speak for myself and not for the rest of the lads on this forum, but I surely do not need a "religious" preacher telling me what to favour and not&#8230;period.

as the crusader would say: pro fide pro veritas.

Eric

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Jesus...

I am sure I am not the only one but I am sick of this 'mine is better than yours' rubbish.

Look, you guys bring alot to the Forum and the work you all put into testing and finding the limits of these new systems is;

a) hard work needing dedication which no one knocks,
helping those who have neither the time or skills to do this type of thing,
c) much appreciated by Nuro, myself and the other mods, especially content wise.

However at the moment you are all coming over as squabbling children trying to force their views on others. Stick to the original 'info only' unbiased stuff which was greatly appreciated and respected. Take a look back through this thread and ask if there is ONE thing new, original or non combatative in giist, whats the sodding point?

I am sure neither SCX, Carrera or Scalextric take heed of this type of verbal tit for tat either so please knock it off.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (astro @ 22 Jan 2005, 10:48)bswan - you can race SSD without using the lap counter too. Then you will have a system more like Carrera
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Carrera is taking more of a conservative approach with digital and it is paying off. So far everything they have released has proven to be reliable and well made. Racing 4 cars can be viewed as a good thing because you will most likely have fewer crashes and better racing. Sometimes more is not better. On really large layouts I can see 6 cars as a good thing because the cars can spread out more.

Best regards,
Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.