SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Hi, I'm David aka Bacardibeast.

And now you can see why I have Uncle Fester as my Avatar.

Some of you might have seen my earlier post, here, documenting my permanent track build. This is, as the subheading says, a condensed history so far. It will also become my log of the build and hopefully be of some use to anyone planning on building there own permanent track.

Over a year ago I decided that the decorating of my living room was a none starter until some major cash injection arrived. So to cheer myself up I decided the permanent track in the attic would get built. It's was already boarded but I needed to raise the track level to reduce noise & improve access. First thing was to breakup the track I had at the time.

Next was to plan the track to maximise the use of space I had available. I wanted a long straight, a complex section, a change in elevation and room for a few pieces of scenery. It also had to include the RMS track sections, a pair of crossovers and a Pacer system. Below are the plans as they evolved.

I finally settled on this one. It fills all my criteria now all I had to do was Start the build.

Just my luck to do it during one of the hottest Summers on record and after 2 redundancies within 9 months!

Then I had to build the table structure. I used baton to support sheets of fibre board and legs from 2x4. Not as strong as other structures shown on the forum but I'm really conscious of keeping the weight down as the attic is only boarded, not reinfored.

At this point I wanted to know more about the way the track would run. So I bought a copy of the newly released Scalextric Sport World - Track Designer. This meant that I could see the track in 3D and also take a 'Bumper cam' tour. With alittle playing around on a package that is part of my computers system, I created and posted this: Ravenscroft Virtual Tour

This gave me even more reason to get to work.

And that brings us up to date, so far. So here is todays work.

It's still about 30 degrees C in the attic, but thats cooler than it's been for weeks. I have managed make a good start on the raised section so hopefully next weekend I can get to the far righthand corner (Chapel curve). Stay tuned for more progress.

Bacardibeast

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Hey BB, good to see the track's progressing despite the heat. It looks like you've got a working layout now, how does it run?

Looking forward to trying a few laps, one of these days!

cheers,

Rob

·
Ian
99 Posts
Well done BB,
Your much braver than me I haven't dared go up in my loft for weeks now, so for you to be working up there!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you have just become acclimatized now after so much time up there????

You could probably eat these as a nice "cooling" snack nowerdays.

The track looks a treat, I must admit if I hadn't gone digital that is the sort of plan I would have worked towards
I like it.

Cheers

Ian

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fella's, I was getting worried that my build was boring people.

Rob - Sadly it's not running just yet. I want to get the raised section finished before I start cleaning the track and putting power tapes. I had thought it would be a couple of weekends work, but my computer's Primary hard drive failed last night so this weekend will be spent replacing and re-installing that. And as soon as it's in a fit state to be seen in real life, you'll be the first to get an invite (before anyone else shout's at me, Taxi invited to his old attic track ages ago and the return visit has been delayed due to my slooow build spend!).

Ian - I'm still having to take a beach towel up with me to mop my brow every 2mins! And a 2 ltr bottle of water doesn't last long either! It's just a childhood dream that has got to the stage that it's so close, I'm actually getting excited about it, myself!

Lastly, I have been considering buying a small(ish) portable air conditioner, that will also heat during the winter. This would help with the track expanding/contracting in the heat/cold and it's alot cheaper than a Velux window in the roof.

Posting might be on hold until I get my computer running again, but I'll be back!

Cheers,
Bacardibeast

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Looking great, and nice to see the progress sumarised in one place. I only just noticed the name of the curves and straight - very cool!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello Bacardibeast!

I just wanted to say that I love to see people cram in tracks in small spaces. And this is really the most maxed out usage of space I have seen. Brilliant!

Harveys Hairpin & The Motorhead looks like a fantastic left-right tricky section. Almost at back-to-back hairpin, Love those kind of track sections!

/Nico

·
Martyn
742 Posts
Hey BB this is a great track it as everything you need to keep it interesting for a very long time, cant wait to see the finished results unless you melt first of course. well done and more photo's please when your ready.

Athrlyth

·
Registered
38 Posts
As a diehard nwobhm-fan i especially appreciate the Motörhed-corner. No remorse!

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update time again folks. Well its been slow going but before I can get power to the track I need to construct a banked curve at Chapel. And this can't be done before I complete the work under the top level. So I've been getting busy with polystyrene packing from computer case. I've cut it into about inch thick sections and then broken it up to follow the outside of the lower track. They have then been painted with an exterior, textured paint (the colour of Cotswold stone) and will later be weathered and have odd bits of flock added. Once this is completed I'll be able to secure the top section and build the banking.

BIGBIO207: Harveys Hairpin and Motorhead are my attempt at the Complex at Silverstone.

lauriperkele:
All I can add is 'Rock on!' and 'Up the Irons!'

BacardiBeast

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right, time for a long over due update. This one is in the form of dummied up race. There are a few minor track changes and I think the cross-overs will be removed. Anyway, off we go.

Lining up for the start, the BTCC cars just waiting for the lights.

Off the line and round the, now defunct, Cotswood Hollow. The BMW gets a great start.

Starting the climb to Spyvie Point. The Vauxhall and Audi narrowly miss on the cross-over.

Under the Tower at the top of Spyvie Point and start the long drag down Long View. The Laguna makes up ground.

Flat out, about to start braking for the new Chapel Esses. The Beemer and Alfa streech there legs.

Chaos as the pack stream through the Chapel Esses. The Peugeot takes advantage of the faster line.

Off Rimski's Ridge and descending Gallows Drop. The back of the Beemer gets a bit wild.

More paint gets swopped as the pack brake hard for Crypt Corner and then foot down towards Harvey's Hairpin.

The BMW gets it all wrong trying to keep the lead into the Hairpin. The Peugeot takes advantage.

The Laguna gets a good run through the Motorhead. The Alfa and BMW trail behind.

The Laguna gets ahead of the Pug across the line, while the Alfa & BMW try to out drag each other. And off for the next lap.

Well hope you enjoyed that. What do you all think?

BacardiBeast

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Good to see it coming to life Dave

The changes you've made to the track look good. It still looks challenging, but looks like a smoother, more flowing design. You've got a nice mix of corners too - you still running everything non-mag?

Looks like you're having a lot of fun with it, really liked the track map on your pics - nice touch!

cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Very neat, uncle Fester! And really nice to include the track layout to the pictures. Love that one. Not much room for scenics but I´ll bet it´s a blast to drive!

Just a thought, you´d better put some catch fence at the last hairpin at Harvey´s .. Someone losing the grip might catch the control tower in mid-air ..

.. cheers ..

-( R )-

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NEWS FLASH
Ravenscroft is going Digital!!!

I've just got the 4 & 6 car power bases from Smarkham along with 4 chipped cars and 2 cross overs. The track plan will have to change a little but on the whole it'll stay the same. So now starts the learning curve of 'Master & Slave' power bases, chipping cars and many, many cross words.

So keep watching and see how the slowest track build ever takes shape.

Cheers,
BacardiBeast

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (bacardibeast @ 28 May 2007, 08:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>NEWS FLASH
Ravenscroft is going Digital!!!
Digital will open up a lot of space for you if you eliminate most of the 4 lanes. And, it will make for a great working pit area. But I must say, I loved the old design -- thought it was one of the best uses of space and a very challenging and interesting layout. I'll be interested to see how digital shapes the new layout.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hope all goes well. Give me a shout when its up and running and i will pop over. If you need a hand with anything at any time just give me a shout

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yep don't forget that you can have 1, 2, 3, 4 or any number of lanes with digital.

Losing the 4 lanes in some places will make you some extra space for any track redesign you might want to do.

Look forward to see what you do.

I might well cahllenge you on the slowest track build ever.

Shuanbmx

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Righty ho, here is the new digital track plan (with named corners and a hint to where the names came from).

Running clockwise, I'll have to mod the first straight lane change, after Spyvie Point, with extra sensors as it's a pretty fast corner and I'm expecting the cars to leave it sideways. The lane change on Gallow's drop is because I have a left-out to right-in section already. To make this a useful option I have the corner crossover at Rattlehead. The chicane is just after is my (cheap) version if the SCX digital chicane. Basically, if you don't change lanes you will end up on the outside of the track, so to get a the racing line you must change lanes at some point.

It should run pretty similar to the 4 lane plan I have had running a couple of times so I have made any alteration that I have learnt from those testing sessions. Most of my 'non-slotting' friends can't make the R1 corners but I'm not getting rid of Harvey's Hairpin as this, together with Motorhead, is my homage to the Complex at Silverstone. In the 4 lane, analogue, version it's pretty quick from the Start line to Gallow's Drop. After that it starts to get more complex and needs real skill to get back to the start line quickly.

I'm looking forward to getting it running, after all the mods to the digital section, and should be a real laugh to see my old Mini's and Porsche's sliding around it. Even better than I could have dreamed when I had my first set as a kid. (if you haven't seen my post in the 'Swap Shop', I'm after another 2 80's Porsche's and Mini 1275's.)

Any comments are always welcome and I'd really like to know what you folks think of the plan, so please leave a post.

Cheers,
BacardiBeast

·
Registered
548 Posts
I like it,

Exiting on the back straight from Iron Man through Spyvie Point should produce some nice drifts. If you need to add the extra sensors check out this thread, near the bottom of the first page.
Racing Line Transplant

Or look at my gallery for some pics. I have more i need to get uploaded soon.

If you have the space could you carry the 3 lane section on round swallows drop then some how filter in to 2 lanes before Rattlehead. Means a lot of track cutting though so it's probably best to ignore me.

Look forward to the progress.

Shaunbmx

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (bacardibeast @ 31 May 2007, 17:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent! I loved the old 4-lane layout, and this new one is true to the old layout. In some ways, I don't think the hairpin should be such a problem since the Rattlehead will force people to slow down before they reach "Harvey's". I always wonder about whether the extra lanes will get used in a 3 to 4 lane configuration. In this case, I'm not sure people would ever choose to take the innermost lane of the 3 lane section because there seems to be little likely advantage (unless you were passing very slow moving traffic). I'd love to know a little bit more about your elevation changes.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts