SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
David Moss
461 Posts
shaunbmx: I probably could, but I've found (from the 4 lane analogue) that most of the speed from Longview is washed off on Rimskie's Ridge. That's why I've brought the 3rd lane back in there. As that's the start of the decent, you are starting to brake pretty hard there, so it's a fairly good place to try and out brake people before you hit the corner of Gallow's Drop. I've left the camber on Gallow's pretty level so too much speed will result in an off (that's where the technical section starts). But thanks, I had considerd that option myself and I'm glad to see that I'm thinking along the right lines (I hope
).

jmswms: In theory the the third lane is the shorter (if not faster) route. To clear things up about the elevation changes, the whole of Longview (rising from Banshee) is raised, with a few shallow bumps. the Pit buildings are under Longview, and the track starts to drop at Gallow's. The rest is flat.

Cheers,
BacardiBeast

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Digital BacardiBeast - almost sounds like a rock band...

RavensCroft has always been a tricky looking track, and looks just as tough in its digital reincarnation. I can imagine the carnage with close fought touring car battles...

Looking forward to seeing it come together Dave, now GET ON WITH IT!!!!

cheers,

Rob

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Time for a quick upadate, and an apologue for resurrecting this thread AGAIN! Track work is very limited as my pub job is keeping me very busy at the moment. As for tinkering, well I have time to play with my extending garage. Going from 4 to 6 car races give me a chance to relivery more 'dogs'. Below are shots of on going work t the 80's Porsche 911's, Mini's and sidecars, so far.

In order left to right, I have to add silver to the first car, which will be Quicksilver Liveried (a change from green or orange.). The Yellow car has been resprayed and will be Max Power liveried. The white car will be a Bacardi Livery (well I had to have one somewhere!!!). Dark Blue is Red Bull, but needs proper decals, not paper ones. Same goes for the red one, Alpinestar, and black, Playstation 2 or 3.

I'm awaiting two more sidecars from an Evilbay bid. Livery to be decided, but the colours will be the same as the Porsches. Mini's are coming from a deal via the forum and have to have the guide blade lowered (4 are done already). Again the colours will be the same as the Porsche's, so will the sponsors.

Chipping for the Mini's is first, then the Porsche's, followed by the sidecars. The Super Tourers will be last (and I now have the Volvo S60 and Honda Accord to relivery!).

As soon as I have time I will be working on the track, but the cars I can fiddle with between shifts. Hope you like what you see so far (Taxi: your Porsches' are the white and light blue ones. Thanks mate!).

Taxi, jmswms, and 1eye101: Thanks for your comments. It's a real honour to have people who have such great, scenic, tracks following my progress. i feel honoured, truely.

1eye101: Yes plenty of scenery is planned. A mass of trees, homemade, will line the top side of Longview. The pit buildings are under construction and a couple of old Scalex buildings will have lights added. The biggest scenery job will be a 'living dead - Zombie - Shaun of the Dead' Crypt, somewhere near or under 'Black Widow'. I have an old Games Workshop building and a box full of skellies and zombies. With a little added smoke (supplied by my dirty habit) it should look bostin'!

Any comments, always welcome.

Cheers,
BacardiBeast
(Please excuse any type-os, I've had a squeal or two of the beautiful poison!)
Under 18's: don't do it! It ain't big, we old's just have access to it. Speaks:- an ex-alcoholic and registered mentally ill depressive!

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
QUOTE (bacardibeast @ 8 Jun 2007, 21:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The biggest scenery job will be a 'living dead - Zombie - Shaun of the Dead' Crypt, somewhere near or under 'Black Widow'. I have an old Games Workshop building and a box full of skellies and zombies. With a little added smoke (supplied by my dirty habit) it should look bostin'!

This sounds really good, I can really visulise how this could look. Great idea Bacardibeast! With lights out and well placed track lighting, smoke and well painted minatures your gonna get some great photo's....looking forward to it! Great job on the liveries too, this is one part of the hobby I have yet to try, but is on the to do list!

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
OK folks, time for a long over due update (and sorry for resurrecting this thread yet again!). For those of you who have joined Slotforum in the last year, this may be a new thread for you. The rest of you will possiblely remember the ramblings of an aging slot-metalhead.

Well for those interested, I am still looking for full time work as a Graphic Designer (too many bloody young freelancers these days!!!
). But my bar job is keeping me busy, along with computer repairs, looking after my aging mother and the odd trip into depression (don't ask!!!). It's been about 8 months since I last got to go into the attic and have a "play", but I've been lurking, planning and tweaking all the while.
Here is the latest incarnation of Ravenscroft - Digital:

I'm contemplating putting in the SCX chicane before the straight lane change at Banshee. Thoughts???
(By the way, the track runs clockwise, and Longview is raised from Spyvie Piont to Gallows Drop.)

And for anyone who is interested, I have bought myself a very good printer to produce my own decals for these:

6 x Mini 1275GT's

The Porsche 911's will be in the same liveries.

6 x sidecar outfits (these will be fun getting the F1 digital chip into!!!)

I hope to get back to work on the track in the next few months, so I'll keep you all up dated.
Please drop me a line as to your thoughts of the track and any pros and cons I've missed.

Cheers,
BacardiBeast

·
Ian
99 Posts
Hey BB,
About time. Those Minis do it for me, Love em all. It'll be great to see some more of track developing

Good to see you around these parts again

·
Lars Ole
1,626 Posts
I really like your different ideas for livery, on the cars, where do you get those templates for the different car models ?

Kind Regards From Denmark

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Hi,

Really love the mini's. I've been buying them up and re-livering them too. There's not a great deal of decals on them as I'm waiting and looking for some more that are suitable. I'm aiming for mine to be a sort of banger come rally cross mix.

I've fitted the motors out of the Audi TTs, removed the glass and replaced it with some aluminum mesh, and fiited new slick tyres bought from Slot Car Restorations.

I like the way they handle - very "slidey outey". The Audi's were too fast for my layout, but these seem better suited.

Here's some pics of 3 of mine. Three still to be built.

View attachment 4403

View attachment 4405

View attachment 4404

Why are you lowering the guide blades and how are you intending doing it?

Where did you position your LED?.

Steve

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Dave, good to see that Ravenscroft is still alive and rockin'
The latest tweaks improve an always-impressive design, looks like a blast to drive. Your decal sheets look good too, be good to see some pics of the cars when they're done

take care mate,

Rob

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks for all the nice comments folks. It gives me good reason to carry on.

Stevef1964: Love your Minis. That's pretty much how mine started. As for the Guide blade issue...
I figured out that the reason for the old Minis stability problem was it's useless front axel.
When the Mini enters, say, a righthand corner, the car starts to roll onto it's left front axel. As the axel is not supported, when the wheel hits the track, it gives the car none either. The car then barral rolls off the track, into the scenery. My solution was to fix the axel at a suitable ride height, instead of having it's nose in the air. Hopefully, this diagram will help.

Firstly remove everything from the chassis. Then brase across the top of the front axel slot with some rods of plastic (I used off-cuts from an old plastic model sprue). Make sure this doesn't interfer with any of the cable holes or motoer mould.

Once this is secure cut across the axel slot, leaving about 1/3 of it's height (If you cut off more than this you will get a 360 degree drift car. But it can be fixed, later).

Next I attached a small washer to each side of the chassis' axel slot, keeping the axel slot clear. (I used small compressed cardboard washers, so easy to superglue.)

Again, once this is secure, re-attach the off-cut 'slot guide pin' section on the top side of the chassis (linning up with the guide hole). This keeps the guide from floating around loosely.

Finally, rebuild the whole car, making sure axel spacer is centered, and you should see that the car now sits about 2-3mm lower at the front end. It has also eliminated the body roll that causes the car to come off so often.

As mentioned earlier, if you have cut too low and the guide does rotate 360 degrees, you can just stick two stops behind the guide blade hole.

I hope all that's clear (
), but then you did ask.
As for the LED placement, just behind the rear of the guide blade.

I'll show you some photos when I get a decent camera.

Cheers,
BacardiBeast

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Sorry it's taken so long to reply to the one question. I've taken a long break from the slots for various reasons but I've been looking at it again recently. I'd love to say it's been up and running for years now, but I had other things to deal with (boooring!).

I've had a bit of a rethink on the track and here's what I've come up with.

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Good to see you back. Personally, I've always loved your basic layout. Compact, clever, interesting. Still, I don't really see the purpose of the third lane. Personally, I'd ditch it. If I were racing on this track, I can't see that I'd ever use that third lane. You might solicit opinions from experienced digital racers on this one because you might be adding a needless expense and complication to your design--but I might be missing something here. On the other hand, you might consider doing it as a routed digital track.

·
Greg Gaub
14,957 Posts
Just skimmed the whole thread to see the progression from years ago. Very cool.
I agree that third lanes are rarely useful, but if that's what you want to do, go for it! Would love to see it come to life.
I am also among those who really like the layout. Should be a fun drive.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts