SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hi folks, thanks for replying. Didn't think anyone would still read a thread started so long ago. Very nice work on all your track guys. The standard on here has become very high in the time I've been away!

I put the third lane in after reading a thread about it reducing the number of crashes but increasing the amount of overtaking. From your replies, I get the feeling it's not worth it. And without it, it's less work and less £££. So:

I've put the start line after the pits to simplify sensors for refueling and lap counting.

The long right corner is because of the speed off the Start/Finish straight. It raises then drops for a sort of 'Corkscrew' type section. (The lighter the green, the higher the ground level.)

The corner cross over and hairpin are to get are pretty much just to get in all the narrow bits in together.

The Hairpin and following opening left hander are the 'Complex' from Silverstone.

The two straight with the bus stop, to the lower left are to ease line-of-site around the chimney breast.

The addition straight cross over early on the Start/Finish straight a little late but I have it, so I may as well use it.

I've bought a 6 car 1.5 Powerbase with SSD Pro 1.8 from Evilbay. I have an untouched 1.5 too along with a 4 car one too.
I'm guessing I'm going to have to contact Riko and send the SSD Pro one off to get the Simple H mod applied (I only want to use the 2 standard power supplies but negate the overload issue?).
I'll get around to downloading Scalextric Sport Digital Console soon.

And finally, here's a bit of random BTCC footage from the 'good old days'.

1998 BTCC

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Great track, great design. Personally I am not a fan of forced cross overs in digital. If you consider running pace cars you will have problems in those places. Otherwise they can be a nice challenge.

I know you dont want to hear this, but maybe you should consider a C7042 powerbase instead of doing the Simple H mod. Because in time, you probably will want a C7042 anyway. Doing a simple H mod and than connect 2 standard supplies will get rid of the overload message, but you probably will have not enough power so will need new power supplies too. Whatever you do, have fun and show us your progress.

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Still thinking about the powerbase. Most likely going to stick to the c7030 upgraded and leave it at that.
Had another think about the track plan (again!) and decided that I didn't want the track to overlay so much.

Removed a couple of lane changes to sell on. Removed the S chicane, no one could ever get that section right on the 4 lane analogue version anyway. Replaced it with the SCX analogue chicane before the hairpin. Keeping the enforced corner cross over because I'm an arse! (So there, deal wit it! lol)

·
Greg Gaub
14,963 Posts
From a guy with TWO fully upgraded C7030 PB-Pro bases... get the APB instead. For a little more than the upgrade, you are future-proofing your layout. The old base is dead. No firmware updates to fix bugs, and no software updates that support it. ALL the development is for the new base, and all the cool, new, and interesting things that are happening will only work with the new base. The only thing holding me back right now is laziness, really. I certainly would not put any more money into a deprecated base.

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks MrFlippant, I've had pretty much the same advice from Rich G. Looks like that'll be what I'm doing. Along with putting the 2 x c7030's up on ebay. :/

·
Greg Gaub
14,963 Posts
Keep one of them, especially if you are ok with just getting the PB-Pro code update. They're pretty useful for programming cars off-track, which is especially handy when you've got guests over for some racing. Also, a spare one can be used for pit in/out sensing, so you won't need Pit-Pro if you don't have one already. Otherwise, yes... they're not so useful as they once were. :\

·
Ian
99 Posts
Dave Welcome Home!

You have been missed, to think we discussed this build the heat of June 2006
I bet you could do with a bit of that heat up there now! Loving the new plan though I reckon you could get another XLC in between Crypt Corner and Harvey's Hairpin.
But what do I know I don't even run digital any-more

Wow a lot has happened round these parts since you where last on-board lots of reading for you to catch up on. Good to see you back now do you think you'll drag Rob back too?

Speak soon

·
Registered
987 Posts
Are you sure your new plans are better? The tracks will be fast but not very demanding. You may be short on Lane changes, however it depends on what the average lap time is. With so many straights and so few corners it may be a shot lap time. I guess it depends what you want. Real busy like a real track or just a basic analouge type layout without the hassle of the multi lanes.

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Ian B - Nice to see some familiar faces still around. I haven't had contact with Rob since I moved from my job in Gloucester so that's some years ago.

UshCha - I see your point and have taken it on board (you all know I'm going to make more changes!)

Petestrike - Sadly I never got to the point of doing those re liveries but I still want to . Thanks to a hard drive failure I've lost those original files so the only reference I have is on here! Lost the sidecar ones and the unfinished Porsche 911 ones too

All work is at a halt again(!) as the cordless drill/screw driver has given up the ghost now! So looks like my attempt at the longest ever track construction goes on.

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
And the thread rises from the dead... again.

I've been doing what work I can to the track and fixing it in place. No run offs or borders yet but it's almost in a state to actually use (for the first time in years!).

As usual, I'm more at home in front of a computer, so I've reworked the Mini and Porsche liveries that I lost due to a hard drive failure. I'll get some photos of the track up at some point. In the mean time, I hope you like the new liveries.

I wanted these to be fairly basic, old school liveries. Similar to those from my childhood.

And the track as it stands

·
Ian
99 Posts
QUOTE (Ian B @ 10 Dec 2012, 20:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dave Welcome Home!

You have been missed,
Wow a lot has happened round these parts since you where last on-board lots of reading for you to catch up on. Good to see you back now do you think you'll drag Rob back too?

Speak soon

Dave Welcome Home!

You have been missed,

Speak soon

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
1eye101 - The Zombies got painted, re-purposed and sold on. But others will return.

OK, I've finally done some painting. After swapping PMs with Stubacca03, who I noticed had chipped his sidecars, I was inspired to get to work. Turns out that it was my livery designs that inspired him to chip them in the first place!

So I started with this model:

Took inspiration from this:

Drew up this:

And ended up with this:

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Bearing in mind the decals are printed on paper, as I couldn't find the decal transfer sheets I bought years ago (and I have no patience!). It still needs to be chipped and have a new pair of tyres, but all in all I'm pleased with the result.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Chipped with an C7005 .....

Tyres were "Group C" from Pendles' and the guide was a Surechange because the IR LED fitted perfectly in front of the guide. The only
other thing I did was to add a half-size magnet instead of the old-style brown crumbly thing it used to have .....

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey, good looking track you have there! And did you notice you posted at almost the same time as your post in 2013?!
I am looking forward to the end of this build!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts