SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Well, it's been a while but I thought I'd give you all a brief update as to what's been going on in my attic. NOT A LOT!!!

I've had a major buying spree on ebay and I can now reveal the line up.
I now have 4 x Minis (the ones in the picture are just a Photoshopped!), 4 x TR7s, 4 x Porshe 911s, 4 x Ford Sierras and 2 of the light weight Mercs and Vauxhalls/Opels.

This should be it for quite a while now and will make a good variation on driving challenges (along with the mass of late 90s BTCC cars)

The track plan has alterred only slightly, but due to a complete format and rebuild of my home computer, I will redesigning it all over again!!!

The good news is that, being a Graphics chappy, I have finished (and backed up) the Curcuit logo. What do you all think?

http://www.savepic.com/freepicturehosting/...scroft-Logo.jpg

And here is the last image I have of the track plan, so far.

http://www.savepic.com/freepicturehosting/...t_and_Minis.jpg

I'll keep you posted and get some piccies of the cars.

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! OK, I think I've sorted my picture host now.
My circuit plan

and
My Circuit logo

I was working on a new layout last night so I'll let you all have a look but I'm starting to get really stuck!

But at least the cars are all here to repaint now. Although I think I might have to do something to stiffen the front wheels on the Mini's and TR7's. They are pitching over far too much in the corners. Any advise?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Holy Moly your Mini's will scream along the straight!

That's a mighty circuit you have there! I bet you have to lift off quite some time before reaching the bends as the Porsches and TR7's coast for miles without brakes!

You are correct in your analysis of stiffening the front wheels, basically for the Porsches, TR7's and Mini's. I suggest one way is to fit a small piece of plastic-card over the front axle (one piece per front wheel) to prevent the axle tilting/lifting and reducing the car rocking. You can either fix the plastic-card by gluing or perhaps a less permanent solution, to save damaging your models is by using a good sticky tape.

Another solution is to experiment and add weight, stabilises the Porsche's tendency to wallow. One final tip is to fit treaded tyres (the original Scalextric Super Slix), the cars will slide more progressively rather than slide and then grab - resulting in a roll over or deslot. However, if the track is Scalextric Sport the change of tyres will not be necessary as the surface allows non magnetic cars to slide.

Personally, I kind of enjoy three wheeling the cars around bends so fitting further anti roll bars spoils this somewhat.

Finally I have to say, a great choice of cars!

Jamie

P.S. Nice logo!

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jamie,

the first method you suggested is what I have tried in one of the Mini's and the difference in performance is amazing!!!
It has massively increased racing time, and decreased the amount of time spent re-slotting!

I agree with you about the "3 wheeling" but the Mini's are so short they just roll over!

I will also try and get a screen grab of the new design (as long as I don't change it again tonight
) and show you the latest layout!

Lastly, I thought I'd let everyone (who cares?!?) know about the alternate scenery I have planned. And it might not go down too well.

Well, being a bit of an ex-Games Workshop child I am not affraid of a bit of model painting so...

... I thought I'd use a bit of there "ruin" scenery for an old, tumbled down, Chapel. Or maybe a Crypt (Well, I was also a Goth!). And then it struck me. The scale my be slightly wrong but how about a small, shambling horde of Zombies a.k.a. "Shaun of the Dead" style.

I'm planning on just starting with a few around the ruined Crypt, in a corner that I can fence off from the main track. Just as small, eye catching joke. If it looks anything like good I might go on to do the rest of the track surrounded by splattered bodies and shambling hordes.

Well, just a thought. And it would be err... 'different'!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE I'm planning on just starting with a few around the ruined Crypt, in a corner that I can fence off from the main track. Just as small, eye catching joke.

Why not?
On one of my HO tracks, I got tired of painting HO people
(a friend had given me dozens!), and created a forested area in one corner where several "naked", unpainted couples were.... ummmm.... well...... somewhat involved with each other.....

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
GO FOR IT, BBEAST!!

Slot racing is all about having fun. How about a vampire flying about too?
Please post some pics as and when you're creating the Crypt scene. We may have to talk a deal for the FergyDiff Afterlife Raceway - the slot track you CAN take with you!

Mark.

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so back to the topic. Here is the latest layout design (& it's getting longer
)
What do you all think? Circuit length is approx. 17 1/2 meters now. (the full length of the attic & the full width!)

Ravenscroft layout 0704

It's based on a 4 lane Catalunya, with a few modifications.

The TR7's and old 911's should be tail sliding all over the place! Bit of a tester, I think!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.