SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I know this isn't quite relevant, but I've two Tamiya 1/10th radio control racing car and I am just wondering if any of you would be interested in swapping with some slot cars. Cheers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya,

What a surprise to see this thread again? I thought it'd have been erased from the system by now!

Anyway, both cars are electric and are in pretty good nick, some scratches here and there, but they are in perfect working order. I've only painted the cars but not put the decals on, I personally prefer plain colour cars. Most of the decals are still in the pack. Both cars have been "souped up", to different degrees though. Here's the spec:

*The first car is a Castrol Toyota Supra GT:

- Rear/mid engine, shaft-driven 4WD, extra wide chassis;

- oil-filled damper units all-round;

- PowerTech electronic speed controller with breaks;

- Tamiya Sport-tuned motor;

- KO PROPO EX-7 Radio controller and servos;

- 2 Batteries;

This car is the lower spec one as you might realised, I've spent just over £200.

*The second car is an Alfa Romeo 155 V6 ti, the spec:

- Front engine, belt-driven 4WD;

- Ball bearings all-round, oil-filled damper units all-round;

- PC No Limit electronic speed controller,adjustable with 3 power delivery mode, comes with ABS;

- 38,000 rpm racing motor;

- two sets of wheels and tyres (slicks and wets);

- Futaba Attack 2ER radio controller and servos;

- 2 Batteries and spare bits, (gears, sprokets, extra belt, etc);

This car is pretty high spec, with most performance parts up-graded, and it's pretty quick too. I've spent approximately £320 on the car, radio control and all the high performance parts.

I hope you won't get the wrong idea about me writing down all the prices, I'm not trying to sell you the cars or bargain with you. I just want to give you a vague idea of what they were worth when new. Obviously if you are already into RC cars, you'd probably know and you'd have to forgive me for mentioning.

If you are interested, please let me know, either leave a message here or send me a PM or email. I am looking for different varieties of cars, you see I only just started this whole slot car thing again, probably since I was 6 or 7 and I love it!! So you can guess that I don't have many cars to play with. It's especially difficult at the club cause they race all sorts of cars. It would be great if you can let me know what you have on offer. Cheers for now!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
seeing as were talking rc here i was wondering if you knew how to get 50 mph out of a duratrax evader st? havent got one yet but im wondering how and hoow much it would cost to do?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello CG,

50mph from a 1/10 off-road buggie? A little optimistic, no?.....

If I was gonna make an electric RC car as fast as possible, I would get ball bearings instead of all the plastic ones. Secondly and most obviously, a faster motor. The one I have would rev up to 38,000rpm and it isn't the fastest yet. I think the fastest motor I've seen was a 43,000rpm one, but maybe there are even faster ones out there. Thirdly, a no limit electronic speed controller is needed to unleash all the power the motor has to offer, since some of the controllers have power limit.

For a RTR car, I'm not so sure if it would offer a lot of upgradable options. If you don't actually have this particular car yet, maybe you'd ought to find out more about available upgrades and compatibility with other mainstream hop-up parts. Have you condidered other "build from scratch" cars from Tamiya or Kyosho? They are really well made and are pretty straight forward to assemble, and there are definitely an infinite amount of upgrades available.

Have you thought about petrol cars? Although they are noisy and could get a little messy but the gas would last longer than a battery one. When the gas runs out, bunk some more in and off you go again. My mate had a 1/5 Porche 911 and it was mad (and quite a lot bigger). It was already really quick from the word go but guess what? He still wanted some more oomph. So what did he do? He slotted a two-stroke chainsaw motor into the chassis and that was the fastest RC car I've ever seen (and craziest)!!
The wheel spin was so bad that it would occur at any speed if you are not careful. We suspected the little beast would do maybe between 35-40mph top speed.
Anyway, I'll stop the mumbling now. Cheers!

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
On the subject of top speeds and electric powered cars: over here in the Netherlands we have an annual speed contest (with decent radar trap) and so far for 1/10 electric cars the registered top speed on 6 cells is around 120 km/h (roughly 75 mph) on a 400 meter banked oval.... so yes it can be done

I intend to take part this year with a direct drive car (1/12) with just 6 cells, loooooooooong gearing (2,2:1) and a hot motor, should be great
Yes of course the thing is ballraced all over, the speed controller can handle the motor and I didn't save on the transmitter/receiver...... Multiplex set, Tamiya Dyna-run super touring 13 double motor (runs 26000+ rpm) and Sanyo NiCad cells (matched and peaked on a decent charger/discharger)

been running tamiya cars in the dutch euro-cup too, but stock class... real fun on a low budget!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WoW Race-Jan,

You are serious about 75mph, aren't you!?

Man, I've never seen anything like that. Can the drivetrain/driveshaft/bearing and tyres really take the load? By the way, with gearing that long, surely it's gonna take an age to reach top speed??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts