SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Step-up race format really does a great job of running through all the drivers in a race nd putting the top seeded drivers in the final heat, etc. However, it does this by running heats, not completely separate races. But it does work quite well for what it is.

I'd love to be able to duplicate the way the Fray runs its individual race. They run a qualifying session with all drivers and then seed the brackets from a Z or say a Y race of six drivers all the way up to the B race. All drivers run 10-laps on each lane. The top three drivers transfer to the next race (X race) and the three next higher seeded drivers fill the remaining lanes for the X race. This continues through all the bracket races up to the C race. The B race or Main is already seeded with the top 7 qualifiers, three transfer from the C main and those 10 drivers duke it out for the top six spots in the A Main.

RC can do this using Step-up format, but it runs through it using heats instead of individual races.

The problem right now is that Events doesn't support seeding a future race, just the next race. Not a huge issue handling this manually, but would be cool to be able to automate events like the Fray does.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
We've talked about this over email, but I feel like my knowledge gaps are being filled in one at a time because this post has changed my understanding slightly.

To be sure I understand correctly, I think your issue is that the "step up" race format only uses the numnber of lanes on your track for each step up. So the first step which contains the lowest seeded drivers has 4 drivers in it on a 4 lane track. What you want is that first step to have 6 drivers in it rather than just 4. Is that right? If RC allowed you to set the number of drivers in each step, would that be enough to run your race format?

If so, I think you can accomplish this via custom files. The step ups would all happen in a single RC race, but with custom files you could place any number of drivers in each step. If my new understanding is correct, let me know. I'll try to whip up a single sample file for you to test with.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've talked about this over email, but I feel like my knowledge gaps are being filled in one at a time because this post has changed my understanding slightly.

To be sure I understand correctly, I think your issue is that the "step up" race format only uses the numnber of lanes on your track for each step up. So the first step which contains the lowest seeded drivers has 4 drivers in it on a 4 lane track. What you want is that first step to have 6 drivers in it rather than just 4. Is that right? If RC allowed you to set the number of drivers in each step, would that be enough to run your race format?

If so, I think you can accomplish this via custom files. The step ups would all happen in a single RC race, but with custom files you could place any number of drivers in each step. If my new understanding is correct, let me know. I'll try to whip up a single sample file for you to test with.
Hi Dave,

Not sure the number of lanes is relevant. The brackets could have four, six, or more or less racers, independent of the lanes available. What the Fray does is take the top seven qualifiers in the first qual race and seed them in the later B main. The current RC Step-up race is just that, a single race. Heats could be 10-laps, but it is only one race in terms of scoring/reporting, etc.

The Fray does separate 10-lap races for each bracket, advancing three from each (6 lane race) and eliminating the other three from advancing. I guess RC's step-up races do the same thing, just with groups of heats that aren't really visible in any summary page, screen, or report.

If you can use custom rotation files to accomplish the different heat size that would be cool. I tried to mess with this in the Custom Rotations manager but didn't see a simple way to do it. In fact, when trying to edit out the top seeded drivers, it was really confusing. I'm sure it can be done, I just didn't have the time to sort it out.

Anyway, hope this clarifies things a bit. If not, just let me know and I'll work on it.

Thanks!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
After an offline conversation, what we need/want here is to have the event system allow drivers to skip some number of races. So the top N drivers in a race can automatically advance into a finals race. I've added this as a feature request in the main thread.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After an offline conversation, what we need/want here is to have the event system allow drivers to skip some number of races. So the top N drivers in a race can automatically advance into a finals race. I've added this as a feature request in the main thread.
That's it, Dave. The ability to take drivers from previously run races and add them to the next or a future race.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts