SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experimenting with settings in the RCS64 free trial, trying to see if it has the features I need to justify a purchase
laugh.png

I don't tend to use the brakes much so the "Brake Delay" doesn't influence much. To me the Hard tyres feel identical to the softs except they wear slower... so why ever choose the softs?

I was trying to make them feel different enough to be worth it and the description in the 'help' for Grip Level/Response to Throttle seemed to indicate this would do it, but I've tried setting the Hard tyres to a grip level of 0, 100, 500, even 4000 and I can't feel even a slight difference. The 'grip level' setting seems to do nothing at all (I've tested with weather off AND on but only on a dry track (I'd prefer to race with weather off)).

Is this a bug? Am I setting something up wrong? Am I just driving in a way that it's somehow not noticeable?

Any help here would be appreciated!

(Also... Hijacking my own thread here but is it possible to disable the 'safe speed' for the pit lane? If I set a car's 'safe speed' to 100% it works... but then the car won't have a penalty for damage as it can still go full speed)

Any help here would be appreciated!

· Greg Gaub
17,631 Posts
It matters a lot more if brakes are used. Braking doesn't always mean pressing the brake button. I never use the brake button, but I use brakes for most races, and the variable brakes are nice when you have a car with exceptionally strong brakes.

You say you don't use brakes, does that mean you have dynamic (trigger initiated) brakes disabled? E.G, you are coasting around every turn? If so, then these setting will make little to no difference. When the tires get really worn, you might notice the acceleration delayed, but if you're coasting around all the turns, you might not notice that, either. I believe they are more noticeable when racing with the wrong tires for the track condition, such as hard tires on a wet track.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah that's a shame to hear.

Yeah I have dynamic braking off and rarely if at all use the brake button. I figured in theory that coasting would be slower but experimenting with brakes has never led to a faster lap time for me. Maybe I'm missing something.

My understanding of the grip level description was that with a high number, any throttle input is delayed by that amount of time? That should still affect accelerating down the straights brakes or no, but no matter what settings I use (or how worn the tyres get) the car seems to respond instantly.

· Greg Gaub
17,631 Posts
As for the brakes, well... if you normally prefer coasting, it will take some time to develop your finger for brakes. Going deeper into the turns and coming out hot at just the right moment is a bit different. Your style is fine, though. One of the guys in DRAWW prefers to race with no brakes. As a result, his tires wear slower and he tends to use less fuel because he's not going full blast after the turn. If he manages to keep the car on the track, he often stands on the podium, and has been known to win a few because of his racing style.

I tend not to edit the numbers, so I'm not sure what direction they should go, or what kinds of changes need to be made.

When you're testing, are you making sure that the appropriate simulations are enabled, and that you're testing in an active practice/qualify/race? I assume you're still in the trial period where these features are not disabled?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm still in the trial period, I've tried things in both Practice and GP.

I just enabled Dynamic brakes and still can't tell the difference between the tyres. I mean, there's a very obvious decline in brake strength/speed as the tyres wear but that was not detectably worse for Hard tyres than it was for the softs. I reset the tyre wear numbers to default and tested, then tried changing 'grip level' to 9999 on the hard tyres and they felt the same both times...

I've tried fuel simulation on and off, weather on and off (though still a 'dry' track, as stated I'm not fond of weather).

Slightly off topic but with dynamic brakes on is there a way to make their affect less pronounced? With fresh tyres the car stops dead instantly, It looks so unnatural until they wear a bit.

· Greg Gaub
17,631 Posts
That's what the variable brakes are for. I think RCS64 calls them ABS.

If you're always running on a dry track, you won't notice much difference until the tires are quite worn down. Use a default tire profile, and race until the tires wear down beyond 25% remaining, and you should feel a delay in when the brakes kick in.

Acceleration delay, as I said, is primarily for the wrong tires for the track conditions.

It seems like you're wanting to feel the simulations without actually using simulations... usually it's the other way around. Try running hard tires on a wet track, and tell me you don't feel anything. If you don't, then the simulations are probably disabled in some way.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah OK I'll play with ABS settings then!

I tried a wet track and think we're on to something. with exaggerated numbers in brake delay and grip level The car was accelerating slowly and decelerating slowly, PERFECT!

Except, when the track dries up again, or if it starts sunny, or if weather is off, the tyres go back to acting the same.

That doesn't make any sense, I have the exact same settings for DRY, DAMP, and WET track so the tyres should act the same under all conditions, but they don't.

Grip level 120 on a wet track gives crazy delayed acceleration but grip level 120 on a dry track acts normally. I can't alter the grip for any tyre on a dry track in any noticable way.

I'm not sure about the 'feel the simulation without using the simulation' bit? I just want there to be a noticeable difference in acceleration and deceleration between soft and hard tyres on a dry track. That doesn't seem possible for some reason.

· Registered
3,869 Posts
It is defintely possible, even more than you would want so I expect something is not set up correct. Can you give more details? Have you turned weather on in event settings? What tyre profile? Tyre wear on in event planner? Firmware 1.09?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah Firmware 1.09.

I've tried with Weather Off AND on set to sunny.

Tyre profile is the "Nomagnetti" one (tried with the default values and custom ones like setting everything to 9999 for the hard tyres. There's no difference on a dry track).

Tyre wear is on and tyres do degrade in the software and slow you down if they run out, but with no apparent effect on grip between 100% - 1% wear.

· Registered
3,869 Posts
Maybe you should try to go to main screen an find ' reset to defaults'. Because you should feel something with the normal settings and it should work as you expect. The effect is less when you use magnets, than you could increase the values in the tyre wear tab. Also remember that the effect takes place gradually, with every % of wear, you brake distance will become longer. Of course you will feel this better when braking after a long fast straight.

The grip level you will feel faster depending on track condition. Notice the slider on top of the race screen.

To really test it, select one weather type rain in the event planner and adjust the grip level values in tyre wear tab for wet track and hard tyres, make it extreme. You can set it so that the car will only leave 1 sec after you pressed throttle. Once you are happy with the extreme values than try to understand the tyre tab and set the other track / tyre combinations. For the same condition you could have a wet tyre and give you more grip to make it worthwile to go to pit and change tyre.

Re reading your post I see that you managed to get a crazy delay. I am sure you will get it right when playing around with it..For cars without magnets the defaults work well enough to make you want to change tyres without being too unrealistic. You coudl have a look at how Worthing HO Digital sets up their races, I think I have seen they share there set ups.

Oh, and Mr Flippant is right about the ABS functionality

Good luck, let us know how you get on..

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I reset to default, still no luck.

I've tried everything, Changing grip levels does nothing if you set the weather to 'Sunny' or have weather turned off.

If you set it to 'Cloudy', 'Rain', or 'Random' it works fine.

This is really easy to test, just set your tyre grip levels to something really noticeable like 300 for ALL track conditions.

Then start a race with weather set to Cloudy: everything works as you'd expect.

Start a new race with weather set to Rain: again, everything works as you'd expect.

Start a new race with weather set to Sunny: Suddenly the tyre behaves completely differently, and there's no acceleration delay.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I don't really follow, track condition (the slider at the bottom) is fully in the left 'wet' zone with a picture of a rain cloud when I set it to rain, and it's fully in the right 'dry' zone with a picture of the sun when it's set to sunny.

I've already tested both hard tyre and soft tyre at grip levels 0 and grip levels of 9999 (as well as values in between) all the way down to 0% wear.

I've tested Sunny weather, cloudy weather, rainy weather, random weather, and with weather OFF.

I've tested multiple default tyre profiles and created my own custom ones.

I've tried with multiple cars as well.

I've tested every combination of the above, and I've restored RCS64 to it's defaults and tested them all again.

Everything works as intended UNLESS weather is set to OFF or 'Sunny' whereupon grip levels make no change.

As I said above (but hopefully clearer this time), this is easy to confirm:

1. Go to the tyre wear tab and change the grip level for any tyre of your choice to something high like '999' for ALL three track conditions (Dry, Damp, and Wet)
  2. Start an event with weather set to 'Rain' and start with whichever tyre you edited in step 1. You should have a massive, multiple second acceleration/deceleration delay. This works as expected.
  3. Do the same as above but with weather set to 'Cloudy'. Again, you should have a massive, multiple second acceleration/deceleration delay. This works as expected.
  4. Do the same as above but with weather set to 'Sunny'. You should still have a massive, multiple second acceleration/deceleration delay as before, but you don't. !This does not work as expected!

It doesn't matter if you have 100% on your tyres or 5%.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can't edit your own replies on this forum or am I stupid?

I can't find a way so hope double posting is okay.

My problem is the same and I'm still looking for solutions but for now I've found a sort of workaround.

If I set weather to Random but then have it only change once per event, I can just keep resetting whatever weather I get until it picks something that it considers 'dry'. Anything where the weather slider is almost but not entirely max to the right works.
wacko.png

Because it's not fully dry I guess my tyre settings will then work and the track will stay in that condition until the event ends, so it is effectively what I want albeit a little wacky...

However now that I have it working I'm noticing that Grip levels don't actually seem to get worse with tyre wear?

The delayed acceleration/deceleration of 100% tyres is the same as 5% tyres.

Ideally for me, tyres will start with a very slight delay, but as they degrade that delay will get worse.

This seems to be how 'brake delay' works, is that right? But 'grip level' seems to stay static at whatever value you set?

· Greg Gaub
17,631 Posts
Editing is limited to a short amount of time. I think it's like 10 minutes or something else really short like that. Once the edit button is gone, only a moderator can make changes.

I'm sorry that I can't currently test this on my system to confirm your results. I think it's mainly a use case that does get tested much. It's entirely possible there's a bug in there somewhere.

· Registered
312 Posts
First time i have heard about this. So My guess is there is a wrong settings somewhere. I remember we had a lot off testing from many testers so I guess it would have been reported then. I am not able to test as I dont have Any ssd to test on. That said i am not saying there isent any bug in Rcs64.

· Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Everything works as intended UNLESS weather is set to OFF or 'Sunny' whereupon grip levels make no change.

As I said above (but hopefully clearer this time), this is easy to confirm:

• Go to the tyre wear tab and change the grip level for any tyre of your choice to something high like '999' for ALL three track conditions (Dry, Damp, and Wet)
  • Start an event with weather set to 'Rain' and start with whichever tyre you edited in step 1. You should have a massive, multiple second acceleration/deceleration delay. This works as expected.
  • Do the same as above but with weather set to 'Cloudy'. Again, you should have a massive, multiple second acceleration/deceleration delay. This works as expected.
  • Do the same as above but with weather set to 'Sunny'. You should still have a massive, multiple second acceleration/deceleration delay as before, but you don't. !This does not work as expected!
It doesn't matter if you have 100% on your tyres or 5%.
Hi Bob,

I have just applied the test above and had no issues with grip level of 999 any tyre and any track condition combination worked fine and as expected with long delay with acceleration and deceleration.

I also ran a couple of tests of my own adjusting HARD grip level to 100 and SOFT to zero and on a dry track all worked OK and as expeceted.

I have been using RCS64 simulations for years now and the following link shows the settings I use and we get a difference between HARD and SOFT in race conditions.

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68793&p=1604009

With Weather turned off the Grip level simulations don't work but I have always assumed this is part of the software as the grip is related to track condition and the track condition is dependent on the weather. However I always race with the weather feature turned on.

So unfortunately I can't offer a reason why yours isn't working but I can confirm mine is running fine so I hope you get yours sorted 👍.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Excellent, thank you for testing this! I was hoping this was just user error/settings.

I've changed everything though so not sure what's going on!

Hard tyres and soft have very different grip levels in real racing on a dry track so it's a shame to hear that this isn't simulated regardless of weather.

Oh well! I don't think there's a 'fix' for this, the way this software handles tyres just isn't quite built with my event setup in mind which is a shame but not unexpected, I'd love to see tyre's grip degrade (as the brake delay does) as the tyre wears. Software seems great otherwise.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks everyone for your help and your time.
smile.png

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.