SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Fellow racers,

We are glad to announce the free basic version of RCS64 (Race Control System 64, a RMS for Scalextric Digital C7042 Powerbase) is ready for download here; RCS64 download page
Please be patient, the servers is not the fastest and the RCS64 file is rather big, because the software It is written in uses a lot of It's own drivers instead of using windows drivers, and there are about 70 Mb of sound files included. Most of them are not selectable at the moment, but will be in the future.

Everyone can download and play with this version, and If you register you can unlock lap and time limitations.

RCS64 is made by 2 ethusiasts and far of being finished. However, we think the basics are good enough for you to test and play with, but will definetely have some issues. Don't expect a fully featured RMS yet, but a RMS you can use to have some good racing with, with some nice features. We look forward to your feedback !

Features planned for the future (in no particular order)
- dynamic brake
- Pacers
- Event planner/point system
- Rally page
- Tire simulation
- Damage system (penalty system)
- History
- and much more

Features already in;
- Practice/Qualify/GP/Endurance
- Fuel Load
- Throttle profiles (default/custom)
- Advanced Pit Menu
- Stop and Go
- Individual sounds for car passing S/F
- And more

One thing I should mention; at the moment I have NOT tested the current download and If It works how It should, and the first few days we will not be able to correct download and install related issues, but we coudnt wait to get It out. Fingers crossed

PS Early registered members; some of you got a wrong key, I will send you the correct key a.s.a.p. !

Thanks,
Marcel and Martin
Team RCS

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Hi
Excellentnews Minardi,now what I wii be doing on Saturday morning.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Hi
Had a quick tinker this morning and the throttle calibration is superb as is the sound base.
have you any plans to incorporate pitpro into the system.

Tyre wear and penalty system sound epic,when can we expect to see them.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Congratulations - it works out of the box & is really intuitive - I haven't even opened the manual or entered the registration yet.

Installed without demanding any extras. Plug in a controller & it's all done for you - a car & driver are automatically assigned and the race screens automatically updated to show just the active cars, squeeze the trigger & it goes - took me just 10 secs to find car id'ing (I hadn't noticed it on a quick first pass) - nice & simple. Finish the race and a browser opens automatically with a summary, no clicking necessary. That's how it all should be.
I'm presuming font size & background colours can be changed but I'll open up the manual later. Also, curious why there are only 4 red lights on the 5 to 1 start countdown?

A bonus is that the real time dynamic throttle graphs give me a picture of the effect of all the knobs & settings on my Slot it controller - anti-wheel spin, min speed etc in real time

I was initially put off by the massive 192 mb download, but other than a couple of typos and a couple of headings a bit hidden (my non-standard screen size no doubt) I didn't notice any problems in a quick 20 min runaround, despite my ailing 7' netbook with 630MHz CPU & 1MB of memory.

Really well done. I'm not a regular RMS user as I can't be bothered with the PC, but it's good to see another professional product to choose from

Chris

(Btw, in throttle calibration, the message "Loose all buttons on the handle ..." should probably be "Release trigger and buttons ..." or "Don't touch the buttons or trigger during zero calibration")

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
First of all, I am very glad to read positive feedback from experienced SSD users, that really is good news for us, than we know we are on the right track.

@Ade;
I know you like Pit Pro
but in my experience It has ruined more races than It added something. I know, If I would try to harder to get It work It probably will, but I do not miss It. It is on the 'to do' list, but with our current pit menu It would require an other approach we do not want to think about yet.

About tyre wear; well, like Martin says, It all depends on your findings, if the current version is stable enough we can build further on It. The tyre wear protocol is worked out in theory, It only needs programming and testing. At the moment we have not decided yet what our next feature will be.

@Chris; Good to read It is sort of plug and play. I know there are some spelling/grammar faults, our native language is not english as you might have noticed
Most important is, It works and does what It should do, fine tuning will be done, we will change that text you mention a.s.a.p !
5 startlight is an easy fix, we overlooked It.

Labview (program where rms is written in) has some difficulties with font size and windows. Of course you can change colors, but the font thing is something we should look in too.

Overall, I would like to know how you think the pit menu feels. Is It intuitive enough ?

Thanks !

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Hi
The only problems I have had with pitpro were of my own doing,expecting magless cars to register when placing the sensors after a bend.

Moving the offending parts and opening out the rails by the sensors has given me 100% reliability.

I will have another play with the pit feature and report back but so far very impressive.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
Have just found the pit menu,.
I don't think the pitpro option will be needed afterall.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The goal of the pitmenu is te be able to refuel and do other things at the same time. You can start refuel, and jump to the next box to change profile (or tyres in future) while refuel is going on. Personally I already jump to 'exit' to wait to leave. I have noticed you should rely on the number increasing to 100 instead of the tank full sound, may cost you a second
And as you probably know, you don't have to wait till value is 100, you can leave earlier.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello Martin Schmidt and Minardi,
I downloaded your program yesterday and instaled. That went without problems. The operation is very simple. The calibration of the hand controller is simple and fast. The settings for fuel consumption, speed controllers, car behave in fuel consumption I have only tested once briefly, but it makes a very good impression. The pits must have been some times, Refuel and changing the tire one fantastic idea .
Use was very easy even without manual. All respect for this achievement.
Impressive is the hand controler menu. Because certainly a lot of work behind this plug.

Great job goes on.

One question,

Is it possible to display greater illustrate, because one driver is about 10 meters away from the screen and can not read the numbers. That's not so easy at SSDC.
Maybe you can give me a hint what I can adjust there. We have a 21 "screen

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Hi
The above is one concern that I have,one way round is to swipe the 40 inch from downstairs but don't think it will wash though.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys ! Can you tell us if you are using windows 7 or XP with regards to the fonts ? Really appreciate your feedback !

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Hi
Windows 7 here,but I do have an old lappy running xp that I could trial later.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
For the record, the picture above is when not connected to powerbase. That's why It looks shaded. But indeed, the fonts are small. I tested on XP, and as you can see in the manual, It is better than on 7. Martin and I will defintely make this a priority !

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is a Sadly known issue for Labview, It dont resize the Font when resizing the main window. I will work on making it more dynamic, eks. change all the font sizes if main window is resizing. but this will take me a long time to do.
A quick way for you could be to change the screen to a lower resolution.

Martin

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello,
We use XP.
here's a screenshot

The second screenshot is the current display of training and qualification to see the lap times.
In the distance we have to screen, we do not see much in your software.
My idea, maybe you should think about different settings of the representations. So which one when you drive without gasoline consumption this information is also not seen.
Use as much space as possible, and sat not much information.
In training, the lap time is the most important,
In the race, the placement and the distance is the most important. (at Fuel use another fuel gauge)
I know that the changes are a lot of work and take a lot of time demanding.
It is the question of how many users is the representation too small. If there are only a few people you should ask yourself if it's worth the work.

we wish you a lot of fun in the development and makes you not stress it is our hobby
regards
Balu

1 - 20 of 341 Posts