SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
As many of you may already know, team RCS64, the creators of the Race Management System with simulation features for Scalextric Sport Digital has started development for Slot IT's digital system, oXygen.
To prevent misunderstanding, from now on if we talk about RCS64 we mean SSD, and for oXygen we wil refer to as RCSO2 for the RMS software. A new logo will be here soon.

About 2 years ago we started thinking about supporting oXygen. Until today we have very good communication with Slot IT (Maurizio/Cristian) and we have the feeling we are working on something very special, with lots of potential for the future.

So, what is the status ?

Martin has developed already a version we start testing with as we speak.

Here are some screens;
The Main screen;

Controller/Driver set up;

Event planner;

In race;

Marshall/main dashboard/live timing screen;

We are working on implementing the simulation features as we know them from RCS64, like tyre wear, weather and damage.
Besides that, you are able to work with teams and drivers. And another nice feature is the live timing sreen on a separate monitor, like we know from 1:1 events like Le Mans and F1. It is all work in progress, but great fun working on this project.

Stay tuned.
Martin and Marcel
team RCS

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chance Driver during pitstop already taken care of

A bit too early for beta testing but when we do, we know where to find you

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Hi Gio,

It will be additional hardware, we don't have the skills in-house to make it work reliable on a phone or tablet. Several people have offered help but it hasn't led to something yet. For the additional hardware we have someone dedicated working on this, and if/when we release It, we will be 100% sure it works.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
We will see, I understand your concern. We are having fun developing this in parallel to O2 and if it works, you can be sure it will work as it should without worrying about Bluetooth connection or Android version. You will not need it to use Rcs, it will bring extra fun. Let's first release a working O2 version of Rcs

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Time for an update here

At the moment RCS O2 is being beta tested. Basically concentrated on reliability and proof of concept.
It is possible to have a race with it, but the user interface is not ready, and neither are the features that make RCS O2 so special.
This is going from the well known RCS simulation features as well as touch screen controls.
There will be a RCS O2 race in Denmark in february, and this friday RCS O2 will be tested around the Suzuka 6hrs event in Eindhoven. This will give us test results and feedback to build on further.

I can tell you that we are working on features that are new and innovating, some of it isn't even in the beta version but will come, no doubt.
We are also proud of the bootloader, Martin put a lot of time and effort in improving this area and that has paid off.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sorry for late reply.

Development going well, we just redesigned the team/driver/car/controller interface and is going very well.

Will post some screens soon.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
About time for an update!

Now that I have rebuild my track and added the necessary magnets for pitlane and Start/Finish detection, development for O2 is going at a steady pace.

We totally redesigned the team/car/controller combination set up, and Martin is also working on an even better (more simple) version of the bootloader with regards to ID assignment.

The last weeks we have been working hard on tyre wear simulation and improvement of GUi is ongoing.

Tyre wear has given us lots of food for thought and sometimes headaches, waking up in the morning with new ideas, implement, test and improve and today it looks like we finally nailed it and are both happy with the result. With O2 we have to think of other ways (as compared to SSD) to keep tyre wear simulation interesting, this was not easy but as I said, it looks as if we got It.

Next step is to make a test environment to predict duration of tyre wear and later followed by fuel consumption analysis.

In the meantime we also received a well documented list of requests and ideas of Gary from DiSCA so we got our hands full.

I plan to visit the Eindhoven track (of the Suzuka 6 hrs) with a beta of RCSO2 to show, test and get feedback in about a month, and what is also planned is mid-summer RCSO2 race in Denmark at Flemming's track!

I see if I can post some pictures soon, otherwise I am sure you will find them on FB within a few days.

Marcel/Martin, team RCS

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Tyre wear works! We had to be creative to make it interesting for O2 and I think we did. Really needs some testing now under all different circumstances.

Next step is a 2nd look at the power calculations and how to make it so that users understand what is happening. Worst case you can have your master power setting, car power, fuel load, damage and track condition that all influence performance.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
It will be a long hot summer for the RCS O2 team, we plan on a first release just after summer. This means we have some work to do now :)

The good news is that Martin and I will meet soon to enjoy a short holiday but also work on RCS O2 as long as the family allows us ;) We also have a test race at Flemming's track during this stay in Denmark!

We will keep you updated.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
@pne4ever; we actually will have a screen with the basic info and no pit option, You could choose to not show the dashboard but only the live timing screen. Than with the wirelles arduino displays (work in progress) you can keep all pit-data for yourself.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The RCS team is enjoying a holiday together with the families and work on RCS O2 when we can. Yesterday we had a test race at the beautiful BLST track of Flemming. For me an Martin the first time to race on sucha a system and while being skeptic before, we actually liked it very much as it worked very well and it looks so real.

We had done some work before the test and were anxious to see how the improvements turned out.

After a warm welcome of Flemming and his wife, we quickly started setting up the laptop and connect cars to controllers. This is still quite a task, even with the bootloader Martin made, beause you have to check also if car chips are set to the right track type etc etc. But once you are done, you are done for the rest of the night and the racing could start, after the 2nd Flemming (no family :) ) arrived to join us. It was also the first time my 11-year old son joined a real race and he liked it very much, so there is hope for the future :)

We did several events (Practice/qualify/race) and a final 10 min. endurance session. We have used fuel, fuel load, tyre wear and and auto track call. We found some issues but also happy with the improvements we made. It was a very good night and good fun, we learned a lot and are already working on the fixes. There are some pictures on the RCS facebook page.

Can't wait to race that track again!! Thanks again Flemming!!

PS still on track for a post summer -release...

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Hi Gio,

I think you will be happy with the status so far.

Fuel (load) simulation works well and this time you can adjust your fuel level in start screen before the race in steps of 10%

Tyre wear also works, with the same tyre types and weather simulation as in RCS64, but with a new 'engine'behind it and you can edit the values as you wish. The effect of bad tyre/track condition combination is is something we want to improve later but it works quite well already with brake power.

Damage also works fine, and this time you can choose if you want to loose power with every damage point, I really like that option

At the moment we are optimising the pit menu as we had some issues. When we have a test-version we will contact you, don't worry;)

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Currently working on the manual, we plan to have some documentation ready before first release. While the first release is 'just' the beginning of more to come, I am little surprised myself of what already is available.

While it isn't easy to satisfy everybody, we sure aim to reach the people who already know our reliable scalextric RMS with all simulations, and also the DiSCA style of events/clubs. Not an easy task and I am sure we will never be finished, but a very satisfying job we love working on. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hi Phil, sorry for the late reaction. Let's see what the status of SSD is once development of RCS O2 has settled down, if it ever settles down, we never had thought that RCS O2 would get that much attention from a (to us) whole new group of digital racers. It is all hobby and done in free time, serving 2 platforms isn't easy and at the moment development-focus is oXigen. Never say never though, we keep the door open.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts