SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Collect and race Strombecker primarily, but have other makes, too.
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lengthy absence, I've re-entered the vintage hobby, but with some defined "Givens 'n Druthers" that will guide my hobby. However, that's already been told in my verbose "HELLO From Oklahoma" thread. (IF you have the cajones to plow through it :ROFLMAO: , here's the link: HELLO From Oklahoma!! )

Anyway, I've already picked up a couple of vintage Strombecker sets. Strombecker is my sentimental favorite among vintage slotting. (Pics of my Strombecker sets can be viewed in the above linked thread.) I already have several cars on the way to me. I treasure my memories from when I was but a lad racing on my Strombecker sets.

Though my interest is primarily rooted in vintage slot cars, Strombecker in partcular, I will be indulging in my interest in a different kind of way. Along that line I have decided to:

* Keep it simple:

Analog will be my primary outlet. Small, temporary, table top circuits will be the rule.I am not interested in adding digital lap counters, etc, which will add to the "Hassle" factor of setting up/breaking down temporary table top circuits. I want to keep it simple.

* Keep it focused:

Over the years my interests have evolved to where the racing cars and racing scenes of the 1950s into the mid-1960s hold the most interest for me. Also, 1/32 cars aimed at home set racing and home set tracks are my only interest. I have many true vintage cars that I will be finding, acquiring, and refurbishing (as needed) over the coming months/years that will represent the above era span. In addition to true-vintage, I am also going to use recent/current releases of cars that fall within my era span. (I already have two such Carerra cars headed my way.) Keeping focused to cars and accessories that fall within my era will help prevent me from unintentionally doing the "Come One, Come All" approach and amassing all sorts of cars, projects, and such spread over all sorts of genres and era's. That proved to be a severe detriment to my hobby in the past and contributed to its demise.

* Keep it fun:

I'm not the least bit interested in any form of structured racing. I've learned that I enjoy dabbling with home sets, home set types of cars, play running them on small circuits, and just basically piddling with them. I tend to be a loner, and fully 99% of my slotting life has been solo. I'm okay with that and actually prefer it.

I do expect my true-vintage interest to spread outward from it's current Strombecker focus as my Strombecker collection grows. In fact, I've really come to like the quaintness and charm of select vintage Scalextric cars, and I fully expect to eventually start seeking such cars from among my vintage Scalextric "cars of interest" list I have compiled.

SO, there you have it! After many years, I'm back into my personal form of slot racing, and so far, my approach is working GREAT! I'm having a lot of fun!

Andre Ming
aka OkieLand Slotter

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's some of the "stuff" I've acquired over the course of this month...

A pic of set #1 as received:

And here's the cars to set #1 after cleaning, servicing, and testing:

A look at Strombecker set #2 as received:

And below is a pic of the cars from set #2 after cleaning, servicing, and test running. I had a spare drivers head for the D-Jag and I have a parts car on the way that has headlight lenses including the one that's missing on the Testa Rosa. Since this pic I've added a roundel and number to the nose of the D-Jag.

More later!

Andre

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have a couple Strombecker parts cars on the way, as well as a few parts cars being watched. Also watching some cars (not all of them Strombecker) for my collection, and watching another Strombecker set. Oh, and tire order for all of my Strombecker cars is on the way, too.

However, thus far my "pride and joy" of my very fledgling Strombecker collection is this NIB Corvette that is in transit to me:

I know, Strombecker's home set cas are crude, lack fidelity, and all that... but I really like them, especially the Corvette.

For some reasoin, it seems my favorite Strombeckers have become the black plastic rail chassis cars w/open frame motors. I'm not too keen on the "clam shell" GT cars (except I do like Strombecker's front engine Indy car and the Cooper). Also, some of the 3-pin frame cars are past my era span.

Oh, and though the "why" is also unbeknownst to me, with the exception of some of the very early rear engine roadsters (like the Porsche RS61 and Lotus 19), I seem to have evolved to where I like models of front engine cars best, either roadster, GT, or GP. Fortunately, there are a few such cars that Strombecker offered. I hope to have one of each eventually.

Wow, time for this Yank to hit the sack!

All fer now!

Andre

·
Administrator
9,910 Posts
Have you found a source of repro tires Andre? Or maybe the originals are still soft... That was usually the first hop-up performed on these Strombecker cars, to replace the rear drivetrain with a threaded axle, metal gear and threaded wheels with better tires... Strombecker even offered their own hopup kit with pot metal bevel gears, etc.
Here's a hopped up Hot Rod I ran in our "Hot Rods & Customs" theme race in 2019...
Don

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooo! Replies! I love replies! :ROFLMAO:

Trisha:

Thank you for saying so! I promise to keep posting... so much that you'll eventually have to say "ENOUGH!" :p

Seriously: When the fever is flung on me for one of my hobby interests (I have several), my enthusiasm for it typically inspires me to be quite verbose about it. (It is what it is.) However, when the fever's gone for spell, I go quiet, and settle into lurking and reading others and only offering occasional input.

Drifter2:

What is quite surprising is that EVERY piece the sets left the factory with is still in place! Set 1 even has the blank warranty registration! Unfortunately, the huge downside to early Strombecker sets is the track. When new it was fantastic track. It was SO easy to set up/tear down and very durable. HOWEVER, on the second version of their early track (the first version had copper rails), Strombecker thought it would be a great idea to use aluminum strips that were glued in place. Worked fine for the first few years... but 55+ years later no so fine. Every piece of track in both sets have loose rails that thus far have defied attempts to fix. The only option for me to be able to enjoy racing my Strombecker cars on Strombecker track is to use the "1966" track. (The track that superseded the aluminum strip track.) The "1966" track has U-channel tinplated metal rails that are embedded into the track and swagged underneath for retention. Bullet proof. I have a goodly portion of "1966" that will be headed my way shortly from Canada, eh. On that track my Strombecker cars will race when I'm in the mood for a "pure Strombecker" night of racing. :)

Here's a pic of Set 1 all set up and being played with as best I could with the horrid track situation. The poor little cars have tires on them that are so hard and dried that they can barely spin their tires enough to pull themselves up the lift on the up and over!

Unfortunately 2: About that "1966" track - Being tinplated metal, the U-channel rails on the "1966" track can rust. So, often you have some track cleaning to do before you use such track. I'm sure that will be the case when my box of "1966" track arrives.

Don:

First off, I LOVE your Strombecker Hot Rod car! Well, it's commonly referred to by us Strombeckies as the "Hot Rod", but Strombecker wanted us to call it the "Custom Rod". (Well La-tee-dah!) For fun I've attached the Hot Rod blurb I lifted from the 1964 handbook that came with both of my current sets.

Yours looks like it has ALL the detail parts! Yours is a wonderful little car. It's my understand that the Hot Rod is quite sought after and apparently command quite a price if all original with all the original parts. (As does the Indy car and a few other Strombecker cars.)

I would think the Hot Rods would make VERY cool little cars for oval track racing. As an added bonus, they're quite reminiscent of the "Super Modified" cars I watched race when I was but a lad in the Kansas City Kansas/Missouri region! I hope to "someday" have a pair of (banger) Strombecker's Hot Rods for nights that I'm in an "Oval Racing" mood.

Tires: My first order of Smilin' Ray's tires is being tracked by the USPS to arrive tomorrow, so I'll be in a better position to give you quantified info to your tire question in a few days. It appears that Smilin' Rays has an amazing array of tires to fit various Strombecker, Eldon, and other such cars. Here's a link to his website:

As for hopping up my Strombecker's: I'm a bit anal about my Strombecker cars. I tend to want them to be pretty much stone stock if possible. (With the exception of repro tires.) However, I will NOT be averse to "saving" junker bodies and fixing them up (effecting repairs, painting if needed, etc) for use as "bangers". My really nice stuff (like my NIB Corvette) will only see light running about the track by itself, and that only so I can simply enjoy watching it go around the track. (And savoring the wonderful aroma those old open frame motors produce!) For true hard running, well, that's what the banger cars will be for!

Okay, I've flapped my yap long enough about Strombecker. Time to give y'all a break! LOL!

Andre

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Received my little Corvette today! It is indeed a little dandy and truly is "like new". It was originally sold as an RTR single car, thus has factory spray-painted silver trim. (It's my understanding that set cars did not get the trim paint.)

Here's a pic of it on the workbench after getting checked over and lubricated:

Still awaiting the arrival of my shipment of Strombecker track and Scalextric Sport track. I also have a couple parts bodies coming as well as two older issue Carrera cars: A D-Jag and a DB3 in race trim.

Other musings:

Boy has the ol' brain been on a bender of late. It's like my brain has a mind of its own! :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I've got all sorts of ideas for my temporary track ciruits upon which these cars will play. BUT, that's a yarn best spun another time!

Cheers!

Andre

·
Administrator
9,910 Posts
Thanks for that detail Andre - never realized that about the painted on trim. And it makes the car look a lot nicer. Also thanks for the head's up about Smilin Rays - I have a few of his tires, but had forgotten about that.

Strombecker never ceases to amaze... if you're a glutton for punishment, check out the Strombecker history thread on this forum...

Don

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Don!

I thought the paint my 'Vette was end-user applied. However I after posting some detail shots lifted from the seller's ad, I learned from some of the FB Strombecker guys that indeed, some of the RTR cars had crude spray painted details. One Strombecker "guru" confirmed that this was indeed factory spray paint, for he had seen several RTR Corvette's with such. That sealed the deal for me and I purchased the little car. Love it's simplicity and its lines.

Strombecker history thread?? You bet I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to Strombecker! I'll have to dig up that thread and take read. Thanks.

Andre

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well hello Steve!

That was a long time ago, wasn't it?

Yes, this site seems to have a lot of information. I also really enjoy the International flavor it has, too.

I like your moniker. I don't know for sure what has catalyzed my interest in the racing scenes of the 1950s into the early 60s, but I'm looking forward to having a stable of appropriate cars and enjoying them by hot lapping and play racing.

Pssst: Don't tell the Brits here, but I've really taken a fancy to the cars and racing scenes found in the UK back in the 1950s and early 60s. SHHHHSSH! Don't tell them! :p (And Sir Sterling Moss is one of my all time favorite British drivers. Such a talent, and what a wonderful person he seemed to have been.)

Cheers!

Andre

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Allan!

Thanks for saying so!

Collecting: I'm trying to discipline myself and just obtain cars that fall within my era choice, Strombecker and otherwise.

However, I will say that every now and then I'll see a Strombecker that's outside my era choice, but is a nice car... and the urge to collect tries to assert itself!

Cheers!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NOTE: I don't know if this is considered a "collectible" car, or what. It's a model of a vintage car, but it's not vintage in the sense that (to my knowledge) it was definitely not mfg'd in the 1960s. I'll go ahead post and you all can let me know if recent releases of vintage cars fits within the scope of this forum section.

My first non-Strombecker car arrived today: A Carrera Aston-Martin DB3 in classic British Racing Green. Wow... the detail level is quite a bit above a Strombecker home set car. Touching the braids against one of my Strombecker packs indicates it going to be a robust runner.

I also have a Carrera D-Jag headed my way that I'm looking forward to receiving. (This way I'll have a pair of Carrera's to race against themselves.)

The car:

Cheers!

Andre

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stopped by the regional Hobby Lobby while in town the other day. Came home with a small roll of white "removable" vinyl. A short while later my little 'Vette was all dolled up! Thing I like about the "removable" vinyl is that it's like "Post It". That is, when you no longer want it on the car, it lifts right off with no residue. Great stuff! Comes in a variety of colors, too. I see lots of use for it as a means to add some color and accent to a "like new" car without painting. A pic:

ALSO... one of my "parts cars" arrived, so I was able to fix the missing headlight on the Testa Rosa from Set #2. A pic:

Oh, and according to USPS tracking, my box of Scalextric Sport track is still sitting in Oklahoma City. (Arghhh!)

Andre

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
the "current" Carrera cars (yours now about 15 years old!) run great on Strombecker. My Maserati A6 and D Jag have introduced many youth to the joys of analogue hobbies! Most recently, this past week my granddaughters, 8 and 10, using the original red thumb controls learned on these cars. They were so nervous they would "break" them; you really can't hurt these, and not being from my vintage horde, I really don't care if they do

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steve:

I expect the Carrera's will perform nicely... IF my one of my track orders will ever arrive!!

Understand on the not caring on account of "not being from my vintage horde". :)

My Carrera D-Jag arrived. For giggles, I placed it along with the Strombecker D-Jag and immediately saw a version of the old familiar photo game "One is not like the other":

I would suspect the Strombecker D-Jag is oversized? OR, is it a combination of the Strombecker being oversized and the Carrera being undersized?

I also noted the Carrera D-Jag is quite a bit smaller compared to the Carrera DB3:

BUT... the Carrera D-Jag is almost identical in sized to the MRRC 275P:

SO, it could be:

* The Strombecker D-Jag is the "magnum" version. (Oversized.)

* The Carrera D-Jag is closer to scale.

* The Carrera DB3 is also close to scale, but the DB3 was simply a larger car than the D-Jag in reality.

It'll all be fine at the end of the day, though. The silly stuff us slotters will wring our hands concerning!

:ROFLMAO:

Andre

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WOO HOOO!

Tracking shows my Scalextric Sport package is "OUT FOR DELIVERY"!!!

That means sometime later this afternoon, it should finally arrive! :)

Guess what I'LL be doing tonight!

;)

erdnA

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WOO HOOO #2!!!

For gits n' shiggles... I ran the Canadian tracking numbers for my Strombecker track through the USPS system and lo and behold... it worked!

Better yet, the USPS track shows that my Strombecker track is OUT FOR DELIVERY also!! 🥰

Bountiful day ahead!

NOW... which track system to set up tonight????

Hmmmmm.... 🤔

I guess I'll surprise myself!

😀

erdnA

1 - 20 of 34 Posts