SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe four years ago, I ended up with one of these:

As some of you may remember, this chassis had some interesting characteristics, like having a motor pod that dropped out of the bottom of the chassis for example. I kept trying different ways to get this thing to run properly but eventually just gave up. The motor seemed to be on its last legs, the axle seemed to bind and I really could not figure out a way to get it to run.

A day or so ago I figured it was time to have another look. This time I did a bit of careful filing with a needle file in the nylon bearings, put some of my own urethane tires on the rear, took the motor out and ran it in a cup of water for a few minutes (sounded like a food processor) and finally figured out a more-or-less permanent way to keep the pod from falling out the bottom but still allow it to float a bit.

Tossed it on the track and whoa! Turned 6.075 on my 54' wood track, second fastest time of all of my cars so far. Only the blue NSR Porsche 917 has been faster. Sometimes a fresh look doesn't hurt.

Randy

Just noticed if I type in a euphemism for, uh, excrement, I get a fish. If I type in carp, do I get something else? Let's find out.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I got one second hand, the previous owner had given up on the chassis

I spent one night just looking at it, the next night adjusting the steel leaf springs & then all was running very nice. I have binned the rear tyres for ultragrips & its a good car now, definitely one of the best LMP's I own.

Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul, can you show us how you adjusted the leaf springs? Originally, I glued washers to the sides of the chassis so the axle would ride through them and into the bearings on the pod. This kept the movement of the pod to a minimum, eliminating the falling pod and rubbing tires (when it went too high). Eventually the glue let go, so I used a Dremel to cut slots in the chassis so I could slip washers into the slots, which now act as guides. I glued the washers into place with some medium viscosity CA.

You can see the small brass washers (and larger bronze-coloured washers used for spacers) in the photo. They didn't need to be straight, they're really only limiting travel.

Randy

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Hi Randy.

You can just make out he leaf springs on top & below the axel. I bent the springs up a Little bit making them look like a tick. Then I slid the bottom spring back in just enough for it to touch the axel. Then slid the top spring back in enough to stop the axel moving up to much.

What I have found is that the combination of springs keep the axel in place with a small amount of upward movement, just like a motor mount would do.

I hope you can understand all this ?.

Cheers Paul.

G

·
Creative solutions for an issue with the first chassis. Avant Slot produced a second, improved, chassis and motor mount that solved the problem of the motor mount falling out. You should be able to get this renewed chassis from your local salesman as a service since the new chassis was added to a lot of Audi's from the first generation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.