SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An old friend with a shared love of motorsport has just emailed me about a recent article published in a well known and respected motor magazine.

His cousin used to race the car featured so he sent him a copy of the article. The article was riddled with errors it seems, and the ex driver regarded it as nonsense.

It appears that some unscrupulous individuals are writing articles to attempt to change the records for a particular car, and thus enhance its value, vintage racing cars being so valuable these days. I find this an alarming trend if true.

Keith

·
Bob Chapman
6,918 Posts
I agree it is alarming to say the least.
I would however like to believe that anyone purchasing such a car would have the common sense to research it extensively.
Aside from which the seller of the item would be committing some sort of illegality.
I think if my school Latin recalls correctly,,,Caveat Emptor,,, or basically "Let the buyer beware"
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, but it is not the seller that writes the article. This is seeded in a magazine by a third party who is only guilty of sloppy journalism. Some time later, the car is put up for sale, and the would-be purchaser does his research, etc. etc. To sue, you would have to establish a link between the writer and the seller, and you can bet that this would not be easy.

Keith

·
Bob Chapman
6,918 Posts
True Keith, but if the seller uses the lies to aid his sale then it would be a false pretence. Only other way would be to write the editor of the magazine about the incorrect information and hope they correct it.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That has been done and published in this case I believe, but this is seemingly not a unique example. If this is a new trend, some will get through!

Regards,

Keith

PS I am not in this market so it won't affect me. I wish I had bought that Mercury GT I was offered in 1971 though instead of a Mini Cooper for half the price. I would be sitting pretty now!

·
Bob Chapman
6,918 Posts
Its a tricky market out there. Especially now with the newer generations of auto buffs looking at different breeds of cars .
I look back at many cars i have at one time owned and ask myself why i didnt keep that car lol.
Worth more now than when i had it certainly.
Bob

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You have all read the "novel" 1984, right?

The whole Ministry of Information bit with Winston is soo much easier today as it can all be erased and rewritten in a heartbeat... unlike 20-30 years ago where there was only the printed word...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts