SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Hers: 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport
Mine: 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport (2" lift, custom header&exhaust, BFG tires, K&N)
1968 Chevelle (frame on restoration - my 3rd 'child')

Nuro will like this - Sometimes Mine: 2002 Corvette (Yellow, 6-speed - ok actually my father's, I just trade time with him for it

David
http://photo.starblvd.net/dreinecke

· Al Schwartz
3,416 Posts
'94 MB E 320 (wagon? touring? estate? ) - his (and the dog's)
'99 MB ML 320 - hers
'77 MG B (hers)(rare;y moves and then only slowly)

Guess who grew up driving in snow and doesn't panic at a bit of white.

EM

Then, from an historical perpective - a partial list, in no particular order:

'41 Plymouth
'60 Ruddspeed Volvo 122S
'60 A-H 3000
'51 Chryler Imperial convertible (hemi -V8 - black with red interior - good for all sorts of things in addition to transportation)
'53 Sunbeam Talbot drophead
'57 Sunbeam Talbot sedan
'56 Humber Hawk (only car that I have had that was so overgeared that it was faster in 3rd than in top!)
'58 Hillman Minx
'69 Saab 99
'67 Chrysler Wagon ( Mass. turnpike police version - quick!)
'76 Volvo 265 (with the dreaded Volvo-Renault-Peugot V-6 -good car terrible engine)
'53 TD

I guess my interest in things mobile extends beyond slots.

EM

· Allan Wakefield
6,720 Posts
Talking of garbage cars Tropi...

You still haven't let on as to the make etc of that twisted pile you posted in the first few breaths of this post!

Come on - spill the beans old chap!

· Registered
5,404 Posts
I'd forgotten about that heap.
Actually it was an EXCELLENT car until my assistant bent it a bit!
It's a Renault Laguna after running head-on into a massive 4-track. My guy didn't walk out of it unscathed as the roof had to be sliced off first and he had a few days in hospital but thankfully recovered. There is little doubt that he would have been killed if not for the Laguna's genuine 5-star performance in European Constructional Safety tests. The damage was unbelieveable, but my man got off with considerable bruising mainly from the seat belts, a couple of cuts/abrasions and fairly severe concussion.
Lucky, lucky guy!

· Al Schwartz
3,416 Posts
QUOTE (Tropi @ 22 Oct 2003, 01:56 PM)EM
What's your excuse for owning so many garbage Brit cars?

Suspect you have missed out the good old everyday reliable transport!

QUOTE What's your excuse for owning so many garbage Brit cars?

Suspect you have missed out the good old everyday reliable transport!

Well - they are a bit of a mixed bag - The Humber was clearly a mistake (only kept it a few months), the Hillman was cheap transport - and a lot bigger inside than the then current VW, The Healey was and still is one of my favorite cars. The two Sunbeams were interesting - They were the 2.3 litre Talbots, not the rebadged Hillman that Rootes sold as a Sunbeam in its declining years. A mixed bag - beautiful coachwork, elegant interiors, a modest engine and a gearbox clearly overmatched by the torque of the long stroke 4 on one end and the weight of the car on the other. Very good handling for the day and, with a 50-50 weight distribution and 5.50 X 16 tires, unstoppable in the snow. I will take neither credit nor blame for the '77 B - it came with the package. Surprizingly, I had few electrical problems over the years - a simple matter of PM - replaced plugs, points, plug wire and distributor cap annually.

Now British cars of the 50's did offer one real benefit: Lucas was a very "rational" supplier so that when the starter motor on my Talbot drophead perished, and after I had saved money for the replacement (using the handily supplied crank in the interim), the fact that it was the only example of the marque in western Massachusetts was no problem since Lucas made only 3 starter motors, sized according to application so the (relatively close) purveyor of bits had what I needed.

When judging some of the choices, one must also take into account what the market offered at the time: A DKW? a Wartburg?, how about a Borgward - good if you were only 5' tall, any French vehicle with a rear motor displacing less than my morning cup of coffee? How about a Fiat - parts and service available at convenient 1000 mile intervals? Truth is, although they managed to give it away with a combination of design issues and unfortunate business decisions, Britain owned the imported car market in the U.S. at that time.

Final note - back to things electrical - My '94 Benz has suffered a series of electrical and electronic maladies that would make Lucas blush and Marelli appear to be a synonym for everlasting durability. Great bodies and chassis from Stuttgart - I just wish that they would source the elctrical bits from the Pacific rim!

Better stop before I get into more trouble.

EM

· Allan Wakefield
6,720 Posts
Now that is a Great insert! Congrats Al!

I am still awaiting news that you are doing the Ferrari 360 Modena Challenge ones like in the pic I sent
I need at least 20 sets!

· Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,221 Posts
Hey,now how did that get there,and how did you reply so quickly.

I thought I posted it in Victor Ferguson's board.

I'm so confuuuuuuuuuuuuuused.

QUOTE I am still awaiting news that you are doing the Ferrari 360 Modena Challenge ones like in the pic I sent.

Send me something to copy,I don't got one of them.

Er,and while you're at it,maybe you could stick my post in a more apropriate spot.

· Rich Dumas
4,548 Posts
Here's mine. My first car was a '59 Chevrolet sedan, then a '67 Pontiac Firebird 326, a '70 Firebird Formula 400 RamAir, a '80 Datsun 310GX (what's that doing here?), an '87 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24, a '91 Camaro Z28, a '98 Cavalier Z24, a '99 Camaro SS (totaled) and this 2001 Camaro SS.

· Ric Woods
800 Posts
Ok, everybody, you've dragged it out of me....a 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier 2 litre GLS. The cassette player has just stopped working, the electric aerial sometimes just goes up on its own while I am driving along, three of the doors still centrally lock all the time, the other one not quite all the time, it has £1300 worth of damage to the rear having been rear-ended by another Cavalier and despite that has just passed its MOT. Have just found out that the heater leaks a bit, which makes a funny smell. A real gem of a car.

Mooster

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.