SlotForum banner

Real Cars

9K views 67 replies 35 participants last post by  Xlot 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Heres a question for you all.
As i browse the forum i see a lot of ID 's related to cars.
I was just wondering if their are petrol heads as well as slot heads out there?

So i thiught it would be interesting to see what real cars people drive?

Me
I drive a SEAT Toledo V5 (Compromise i wanted a Skoda vRS the wife wanted something less manic)
A 91model Landie Defender 90 to tow the jetski with, which i sold a westie to buy.(not a dog).

Come on let us all know

See less See more
#52 · (Edited by Moderator)
Her: 2003 Chevy Impala. A company car provided by the pharmaceutical company that she works for. The price is too good to pass up.

Him: A 2002 Chevy Cavalier. I teach in a school district where many of the residents work in the GM plant that makes the Cavalier/Sunfire. I bought the car to support the parents of many of my students ( a considerable discount also played a role in my purchase).

For Fun: 1962 Triumph TR4. A solid rust free example that I purchased while living in San Diego, CA. in 1983. Great fun, loads of low end torque and wind in your hair motoring. This car is pretty much orginal with only a few modifications to improve reliablity.

More Fun: 1973 Triumph TR6. Another California car, rust free and solid. 3 years ago I $pent lots of cash redoing the mechanicals. Any part that moves or is subject to wear was replaced/upgraded. It now breathes through 3 HS6 SU carbs, K&N air filters and a custom designed intake manifold. The head has had a major reworking and really allows the engine to flow lots of air. Modifications have also been made to the exhaust system, suspension, and the differential ( now using a diff from a 1988 Nissan 300 ZX. The engine mods have resulted in a 2.5 liter, 160 horse power straight 6. It really gets up and moves. Great fun to drive on twisty roads.

#53 ·
3 years ago I built a TR6 engine for a friend of mine.I couldn't find decent Valves for it anywhere at any price.I ended up designing and having made localy the Intake and Exhaust valves.High Flow,with 30 degree seats Waisted stems.I had three sets made and have two left.

Rather than the Tripple 1.75s.I used two 1.5s off 73MGB.Despite being a full quarter inch smaller,this car has embarrased several local 5 litre Mustangs.

The thing hauls like a train,and because of the smaller carburation,has a very flat,very wide power band.

It's a lot of fun.

#54 ·
As with my slotcars, I like working on my car, constantly improving it. So what is the best family car for a weekend mechanic? Well, the way I look at it, it's hard to beat an old Volvo. Mine has been in the family since new. In fact, after all these years it still looks and feels like new. After the performance improvements I've done it drives better than new. When the weather gets warmer, I'll install that Weber carb I've just bought. No more car payments for me!

Erling.
http://home.no.net/ebrox

#57 ·
My current ride is a mk2 MR2 GTI-16, 1991 J-reg, starship mileage, slightly pink-ish Super Red paintwork but excellent VFM for under 3 grand.

Before that was a Ford Puma 1.7, £ for £ the most disappointing car I have ever owned and with such quality control issues that it will be a long time before anything with a blue oval on it graces my drive again...

Others in the past are two boyracer-humiliating Triumph TR7s (hated by many which is great in my book as it makes them dirt cheap!), a XR2 bad boy mobile (mk2 - the best incarnation before crappy fuel injection ruined them IMO) and in theory, my parent's 1960 Sprite Mk1 was promised to me when I was about 5 or 6 - I'm nearly 30 now and still waiting....

I won't mention the grey Volvo 340 I had at uni.

Coop

#58 ·
Company car is a Holden Rodeo ute about 2 months old. Its probably an Isuzu outside of Australia.
Family car is a Ford Falcon XR6 2002 model. Same body style as the Scaelextric Pirtek and Shell Falcons minus the race wing. XR6 is the six cylinder version for the overseas guys.

Vince

#59 ·
My car is a Mercedes Benz 320 CLK Compressor with a 100K on it and drives like new, my wife has an Audi TT 225 Coupe, which I use when I want to play!.

My real love is my Healey 3000 which I imported from the States as a wreck and rebuilt over a four year period.

You can see my restoration photos at:-

http://community.webshots.com/user/atadd

You won't get Classic Insurance until your 25. My Healey costs approx. £130 pa but I'm restricted to 5000 miles, the car must be garaged by 10:30 each evening.

My son is 18 and a student at University, he has a Renault Clio 1.2 which is insured in my wifes name with him as a main driver. His Insurance cost is £380 pa with Tesco. Also another good one to try is the Co-op Insurance, they look pretty kindly on young drivers.
Regards

Alan

G
#60 ·
1998 Ford Mondeo, Goes well and I enjoy driving it a lot and it cost me only slightly more than I made selling off some of my slot cars at a NSCC swop meet.

I am now looking for a toy for myself after finishing the book into which I have invested a lot of money.

I had a classic car garage with my bother in 1976 so have owned most cars from a 365 BB hill climb car (great road car) to a bubble car.

I am the only one who's wife does not drive?

RR

#61 ·
Still braggin'.....

I just had to post another picture of my ride of a lifetime.... with Michael looking on (seriously, that's his name!)

My normal ride is more befitting of my age, a Lexus RX330, while my wife just loves her Peugeot 206CC convertible -- especially because I have to take her grocery shopping with the RX330; the boot of the Peugeot doesn't hold too much...

Kind regards,

Russell

G
#62 ·
Hi Russell,
You are less than six months older than me, So a nice Corvette or TVR is more suitable for your age, I am looking at get a C5 as a toy to take me son on a driving holiday next summer.

Yes I really like TVRs go well and sound great.

RR

#63 ·
Used to own a beatuiful Fiat Coupe 20V, purred liked a TVR- sounded fantastic with that lovely 2.0 20V italian lump under the bonnet.

Now own a lovely 99 MGF - with only 10,000 miles on the clock.

The 'Ball and chain' has a Rover 200Vi, revvs like crazy (and no thats the car, not the wife!).

Gecko

#65 · (Edited by Moderator)
Two 1956 Chevy favorites, I get to drive and work on when needed. Wife has a 2003 VW Jetta GLI with 200 hp V6 and a 6 speed gear box. But I get to drive it now and then also. fast little sucker.

These both have V8's, the green one a 275 CID with fuel injection and 3 speed overdrive tranny and disk brakes added.

The other has a 307 V8 and carbs and a 350 auto tranny it also has disk brakes now.

Fun for shows and cruising.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.