SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a collection of cars that came out of no where over time. At least that's what I tell the better half. Some don't run. Others run slowly just from sitting and collecting dust.

Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font Automotive design

It's time to see what these are made of. It's all a bit new to me. Model Murdering already helped me rebuild the T-jet Dino in the back row. Thanks a million MM! One down... many to go.

The Jeep also didn't run. I wondered what was inside? Some nice black stuff on the armature.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Toy Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Gas Camera lens Machine

Camera lens Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Machine

Composite material Metal Fashion accessory Gadget Cable

Circle Metal Fashion accessory Concrete Art

The chassis was washed with dishwashing soap until it sparkled. The armature was cleaned up. The brushes were lightly cleaned with 2000-grit sand paper. The armature pole readings were 14.6, 14.6, and 14.7. The chassis was re-assembled, but without the middle gear. Mr MM suggested to first test motors for vibrations without the transfer gear. I applied power expecting miracles, and nothing happened. The motor barely turned. I gave the drive gear a twist with my fingers, and it started to spin up. But it was labouring to rotate. Upon futher examination I noted the main top drive gear leaning to one side. I thought I assembled it wrong. So I took it apart and checked all the locking tabs. It can't be installed any other way. The hole in the plate isn't sloppy with excess play. It seems it was drilled way off center from the factory a bazzillion years ago. Warranty still in effect maybe?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

I can twist the chassis with my fingers until the car is totally distorted to make the gear straighen out. Clearly not the solution to this problem. I'm not sure what to do about this one. I think the Jeep is kind of cool. It has nice mags.

Any suggestions to save this old Jeep and chassis are most welcome. Thank you very kindly in advance.

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As I re-examine my own super-macro photos on this thread. I see that the top part of the chassis is sitting off to the right within the bottom section of the chassis. Like they aren't a mating pair. That explains the tilt in the gear.

Vewy stwange, yes?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Looks like the front magnet is canted in it's burrow. Sight right under the gear plate. See?

Betcha, if you flip it over, you'll see that the magnet isnt fully seated down into the chassis reliefs.

Totally normal Ken. They're a bit tricky until you'll develop the feel for fidgeting them together. Think nothing of it.

B.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Some of us are old enough to remember those dang kids puzzles with the tiny steelies that you had to get in all the little holes.

Little did we know that it was practice for AFX magnatractions.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good call Bill. Thank you kindly. I can see the magnet is also on an angle in the photo. I will re-assemble it later tonight.

Pics for you NTx. The cop car also doesn't run.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Gas Auto part Rectangle Fashion accessory Metal

Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Car Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Toy Automotive design

Do you think there's enough lead in this car?

What are those strange copper or brass tabs on either side of the chassis?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Toy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I took the clip off the chassis and the magnets are 100% fully seated. It was actually evident before I took the clip off. I made a spacer from a business card for the magnet, and it looked deceiving. The top part of the chassis does not line up with the bottom. The more I examine it. The more I see it. I'm back to square one at how to repair this defective chassis.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Car Automotive design

Toy Wheel Gas Auto part Automotive tire

Gas Automotive tire Auto part Machine Metal

I took the Charger Police car apart and cleaned the hair out of it. Among other things. Then gave it a good wash. With the exception of the motor which got a small drop of oil on both bushings.

Light Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic device Electronic component

Toy Circuit component Motor vehicle Engineering Machine

Cleaned up the pick up shoes and all the contact areas up to the motor. They have a lot of miles. Should I remove the rear pin and pick up shoes?

Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Wheel Rolling

It screams now, yet it didn't run at all before. Strange little car. I look forward to testing it on the track. Without the weights of course.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

I just noticed Richard Petty's number 43 on the front headlight. I was not aware he was a former police officer?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Toy Car

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi Ken,

Thats a Tyco US-1 trucking chassis. Unique to that system. The tabs are shunts. The weird angle accommodates quick change of the motor. Double guide and doubly shod for reverse operation, with a couple of scale tons of ballast, they are natural track cleaners!

Does the motor turn freely on the Magna now?

·
Rich Dumas
3,600 Posts
Here is an article on tuning Aurora Magnatraction and Johnny Lightning/Auto World X-Traction cars: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11tPoKLWN61yJR4px58sKepTdWCHM7d-q/view?usp=sharing

You could try swapping in an armature/gear plate assembly from a car that runs well to see if there is still an alignment problem. If the armature is still out of plumb the problem would have to be in the base chassis which could be warped.

The holes in the chassis and gear plate were not drilled, they were formed by pins built into the molds that retracted so that the parts could be ejected after the parts were molded. I have never seen the problem that you have, but OEM base chassis and gear plate assemblies are available from several US dealers, including JAG Hobbies.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Rich. I can't thank you enough for the article, and references to suppliers. Great information. I now consider it light reading after dinner.
biggrin.png

The armature spins freely. I think the Jeep has been running this poorly it's whole life. I'm probably the first guy to question it because I tend to like precision. I will order another chassis frame top and bottom. I only have 2-old AFX pancakes. That means buying a gear puller, etc... Looks like I'm commited now eh?

Thank you Bill. The Charger motor screams now! But the gear ratio is meant for... a truck? Ouch. That'll never keep up with the rest of the pack. Bad guys are going to make a clean get-a-way.

·
Registered
306 Posts
KRZ--re: "43" on the headlight.

Of course, the majority of the Tyco Dodges were in Richard Petty Livery:

In fact, you can turn your car into one with a little Petty Blue paint and decals--

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CD-DC-1974-43-Richard-Petty-STP-1974-Plymouth-1-24-Scale-DECALS/224121120355?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D911349cb291d4de490e88481851bdfde%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D224121120355%26itm%3D224121120355%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DSlotCar+Fever&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A7a91864d-65b7-11eb-9d59-fe9ceedac849%7Cparentrq%3A654f3b9f1770ac3defb151ebfff30254%7Ciid%3A1

Annnnnnnnnnd, I did just that. The decals are kind of tricky, but they are manageable. I waited and then shot clear over them. Incidentally, the body fits perfectly on a tyco or mattel X2 chassis.

Fit Urethane silicones on the back, gel claws on the front, drop the front shoes a tad, and you would be ready to go. Did that too.

Or skip the painting bit and have a cop car faster than most of the 1/64 scale "bad guys".

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would keep that police body just the way it is. It fetches a good price, but is more valuable to own.

As Bill mentioned, these US1 chassis with the dual sets of shoes and weights are excellent track cleaners.

Glad you got it running!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you very kindly for the references and suggestions, X2slotbob.
thumbsup.gif

I like your last idea of catching the bad guys. I am learning that it's best to leave vintage decals and liveries intact. There are enough new Chargers out there to repaint should the desire arise.
smile.png

I am ordering new shoes for the entire fleet. FrankTheRacer silicones. I'm measuring and documenting all the wheels and tires.

Does anyone know what brand chassis this is please? Thank you very kindly in advance.

Vehicle Circuit component Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Toy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you very kindly, NTx.

Narrow Tyco 440x2 chassis? What is Sparta please? I'm very curious.

More pics to follow shortly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you very kindly, NTx.

Narrow Tyco 440x2 chassis? What is Sparta please? I'm very curious.

More pics to follow shortly.
There are two types of Tyco 44x2 chassis. Narrow under the type of car that you have and wide (regular?) under almost everything else at that time.

Ignore the "Sparta". It was a joke.

Scott

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oops. Thank you very kindly, Scott.
thumbsup.gif

I'm so new to HO, these things go over my head. I'll get there, eventually.

I'm still at that stage where you can ask me to hand you that "ball peen wrench", and I'll go look for it before questioning it.
biggrin.png

1 - 20 of 160 Posts