SlotForum banner
101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
There's something about a red zed that makes me smile. This one sports a Dash chassis, tires, and Vincent wheels.

Reactions: 935 fan

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Thank you very kindly, Bob.

My guess is the shape of the wheel well lip. The Camaro is round. The Impala is tear-drop shaped.

I would need to install narrower rear tires, and tuck them under the body to slam the 59-Impala down.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Those look really sharp. The Camaro settled into a real looker.

Anything AW/JLTO is gonna look like it just rolled out of our High School parking lot. Cant be helped, unless you start feathering the wheels and tires. AW is fixated with those dorkulous Tuff Ones wheels and tires. Perhaps they bought a shipping container full of them ...?

Early on there were detailed how to's for every release, but it all really just boils down to common butchery; and what you can get away with. It's all in the Hobby Talk archives. The perpetrator/documentor of the mayhem was Rick Wurtz, aka Parkndl. Dr Dremel did most of them in bold beautiful macro. It was like a regular show that we looked forward too.

Oddly, I just did this one earlier this year. Al has it now, via Santa. For the body styles that allow (most), the glass is trimmed, and then glued in from the connector strap; rather than the excessive monkey motion at the cowl and parcel shelf. This affords enough room to bring the chassis up a ways. It would appear that Ralph Nader got a hold of the windshield retention design team. Discerning hobbyists determined otherwise. LOL

The JAG chassis looks kinda promising on paper. Lower by design, and with raised axle centers to boot. Bolt in, but then one has to figure out the axles wheels n tires if you are going to go off the menu with Vincenzos or other. I just havent built one yet. A man of your means will bang it right out.

Bob off the brick a brack and buzz it smooth.

Cut the OSHA bracketry away. Put a hole in the window strap, and scrape the over spray from the roof; so the glue sticks. I usually tape a matchbook cover on the chassis, or in the body. This way I keep 15 or 16 thou in reserve, when Im fudging around with the posts/final chassis height.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
That's one very cool looking Impala, Bill. (y)

Perfect timing that I just ordered wheels a few hours ago. Several sets will be even on all four corners like your Impala pictured above. I'm looking forward to moving away from the "Tuff Ones" look for ordinary road-race cars. The drag-race cars can keep the wide rear tires. :geek:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
The first step to improving my Impala was to pop the wide Tuff Ones rear axle out and install a short one in it's place. That sure makes a difference right there.

Before.

After changing the rear axle, the wide tire almost fits inside the body. But not quite.

I also added 2 x 0.005" washers on the thrust side of the crown gear. It is sloppy no more.

There is approximately 19' feet of space between the body and t-jet chassis. Chop, chop, hack, hack as soon as the narrow wheels arrive. :geek:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Model Motoring 69 GTO.

The twin brother is turning green over the yellow cars wheels.

Hopefully I can figure out some sort of inserts for the plain Dash chrome wheels.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
It must be GTO week at SlotForum.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
58 Plymouth Fury. Nice tampo on this car.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
A new friend by the name of Nico that lives on another continent, challenged me to a build/race shoot-out.

The cars are the older AFX funny cars with the front axle separated from the chassis. My friend has a Vega. I have a Cuda.

Rules are. Stock AFX chassis and wheels with a 14-Ohm armature, and red/wht motor magnets. The body must be re-painted. Let the challenge begin.

This is how the car came from the flea market. The rear tires are rock hard with crater-cracks. A shoe spring is missing. Imagine that...

First order of business is to take the body apart. Paint needs time to cure.

One coat of Tamiya TS-34 Camel Yellow.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Micro Scalextric created some odd looking cars for the younger crowd. Justice League cars. Not all that appealing in my opinion.

I have a 4gear Mustang body from Jeff Wallace of "Angry Jeff's Racing".

I upgraded the wheels and tires on the chassis.

Mated the body to the chassis.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
I was originally not fond of the 41 Willys. But I'll let the photo speak for itself. Colour makes a big difference.

Tire Wheel Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
306 Posts
Lopp the fins(?) off the micro-scalextric and it will handle, assuming it is not too heavy and the chassis is pretty quick.

Squint and call it a "Panoz"! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Oops. Too late. I lopped more than the fins off the Micro Scalex body to use the front body mounting screw. It's already chopped up and in the garbage.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Blue chrome Nova anyone? I'll have no trouble seeing this on the track.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Under the influence and inspiration of Bill. A funny thing happened to a Plymouth Belvedere.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Toy Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

101 - 120 of 160 Posts