SlotForum banner
121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Thank you very kindly, X2slotbob.

No problem. As requested. Parts required.

A stock AW chassis with skinnies on the front. One extra pair of skinnies (2-pair of skinnies if your chassis comes with medium tires on the front). And two short axles (0.870")
Gas Metal Fashion accessory Font Jewellery
Remove all the wheels and axles from the chassis. Trim the inner hub of the skinny wheels.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Grey Tread Wood Rectangle Office supplies Metal Nickel
Install the trimmed wheels and narrow axles on the chassis and you're half way there.
Circuit component Auto part Machine Wheel Font
The headlight system had to be removed to give the body a bit more clearance. The front and rear body posts were trimmed down to fit. They were shaved a little at a time, and test fit often.
Automotive lighting Office equipment Bumper Office supplies Gadget Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood Motor vehicle Circuit component Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Electronic component

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thank you for sharing. Seems like the same procedure could be applied to many cars for a more realistic 60s Aurora look.

And I was wondering about paint and flames and trick photography, but I see that you have (at least) 3 Plymouths.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Hi Bob,

You are most welcome. I agree this can be done with bodies that are wide enough.

Sorry, I don't know how to do trick photography.

Aurora cars are tall in nature. They are also very skinny compared to many Auto World bodies. Measure first before cutting any body posts.

Yes, I have acquired at least 3-Plymouths. I bought the dark green and yellow cars. The blue flames and barn find were birthday presents from a friend. That made the blue flames perfect for this experiment.

Vehicle Wheel Car Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Bill,

Thanks again for your inspiration. I hope you're feeling great! Lovely work you do! (y) :geek:

The 59 Chevy bubble top is next. I wonder if the medium front wheels/tires will tuck under the back of the Impala? More measuring to be done. Tinkering is fun.

Ken

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
The answer is... yes medium Tuff Ones front wheels/tires make excellent rears in a pinch for a narrow, tucked-in, and slammed chassis.

Before the slam.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Car
After.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Toy
The back of the Impala could not be dropped as low as the Belvedere because of the rear window deck, and shorter trunk space.
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Motor vehicle
The Impala has independent front wheels, and wider tires on the rear. Ultra high performance! Riiight.
Rectangle Circuit component Electronic device Musical instrument accessory Communication Device

·
Registered
306 Posts
Disclaimer: One of my famous unrequested sidebars---

Gentlemen, what is your favorite '57 Model? I am thinking US model (since I am here {or there}), but all are of course welcome.

The '57 Plymouth looks very close to your '58s.

Although I am a GM guy, and the '57 Chevy is clearly iconic, I prefer the '57 Ford. Sedan. It also outsold the Chevy that year.

·
Registered
306 Posts
"Mr Belvedere was on fire when I got there."--MM

Yesssssssss. No charges will be filed.

Remember kids, if a burning car (or Godzilla or Swamp Thing) is ever chasing you , run directly down the path away from it in a straight line-- screaming. Then fall down.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
I will let the photo speak for itself. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nice paint, wrong car (imo). Kind of like chopping a '40 Ford (excepting Model Murderings scale efforts, of course).

Chebby:

Ford:

To me, the Ford looks slightly chopped and sectioned from the factory compared to the Chevrolet.

Both made excellent stock cars back in the day (late '60s, early '70s)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 · (Edited)
No such thing as a wrong favorite colour, or car. The world would be boring if we were all clones. ;)

I'll take a 69 anything over a 57 anything. It's just a preference. 1969 is the sweet year for me. I was 8-years old, walking with my mom down the street. A 69 Mustang took off from a street light just smokin' the rear tires. My mom said "See that? That's a bad thing" and I said "I can't wait to do that!" Oops. My mom was not impressed. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
"No such thing as a wrong favorite colour, or car."
"I'll take a 69 anything over a 57 anything."--
KRZ

Lol! But yeah. Hence the "in my opinion" thing.

That said, back in the day there were 55-57 Chevys affordably available, but I never could see buying a bigger, more top heavy car over a '64-'72 GM intermediate (Chevelle, Lemans, Cutlass, Skylark).

So temporarily at least, our subjective opinions align.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
The Impala was lowered a bit more. I had to remove the window decks inside the body. It sits a bit lower than the Belvedere now.
Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Rectangle Bag Material property Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Thank you kindly for looking.
Ken

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
The Impala was apparently not quite finished yet. I think it's finally done now.
Wheel Car Vehicle Toy Hood Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
While 1969 may have been a favorite. 1964 wasn't all that bad either.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Wheel Tire Hood Car Vehicle Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Tire Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Anyone got an HO defibrillator?

It's too quiet around here...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Anyone got an HO defibrillator?

It's too quiet around here...
Yeah quiet in the immediate vicinity perhaps, but there sure is a heck of a lot of racket on your winning run. Then again grampa also just hears things that arent there as well.

While it well may be one of the best T-jet times they've ever seen (wink wink), and a killer winning margin; I cant help but want to isolate that weird noise. 63 hundredths is a lot, but there may be some more to be had.

Hear that? A choo choo. Steady / rhythmic through out the run.

The frequency is too wide to be a rotating component. I count about 14 or 15 occurrences during the slo-mo. Sounds kinda like a guide pin juuuuust catching the sectional joint in the bottom of the slot , OR the shoe (s) has too much toe and is catching the rail joints. Maybe it's one car, maybe it's both.

It'd be nice to know how many pieces of track comprise the 1/8th mile as well as the slot depth at a few points, average it; then deduct a smidgen for "clarence".

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 · (Edited)
Thank you very kindly, Bill.

I met Clarence once. Seems to be a really nice guy. I would gladly give him a smidgen.

I've watched the video many times to gleen anything I can. It's definately the separations in the track that are sounding off from something. But what?

When the car returns. I should see a wear mark on the bottom if the guide is too deep. I will also check the wear pattern on the braids. If all looks well. It may have been the other car.

I was short on time and did zero break-in on the motor/gears. I hope there's a bit more reliability in the ET's after breaking it in. I also wonder if the tires are slipping on the rims?

When are you sending a car to race, Bill? ;)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Yep. HO people must be hanging out elsewhere.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts