SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up my first Digital 132 track about a year ago and now see there is an updated control unit. I am trying to figure out what additional accessories are highly recommended since all of them would be a lot of money.

Control unit a given: 30352

What about these:

Position Tower 30357
Digital Driver Display 30353
Lap Counter 30355
Startlight 30354
Pitlane 30356

I have a pretty long track so I soldered in power wires to two other locations from the current control unit track. Will this be easy on the new control unit?

I run wired controllers so I guess these would be okay.

Thanks.

·
Tore
1,692 Posts
The pitlane is IMO essential, so if you don't have a pitlane already you should get the new pitlane (30356). But if you already have the old pitlane, you only need the pit stop adapter (30361) to upgrade it.

The startlight (30354) replicate the countdown LED's that's already on the CU, other that that it adds no extra function other than looking fancy, so IMO it's the least important accessory.

Then it's a question if you want to use a computer, accessories or both, to display timing, position and fuel.

You do not need the expensive Carrera PC connection suite to use a computer, you can get a pre-wired USB cable for around 20£ (if I remember correctly) and an excellent free software package. The PC software adds new features to the track, and also display on-screen during a race the same info as the Lap Counter, Position Tower and Driver display would show.

The timing and position is easy to see on the PC screen, but the fuel gauge is a little bit small, so it can be tricky for all drivers to see, so IMO the driver displays are nice to have even when using the computer since they are easy to see and they display each drivers fuel level and indicate re-fueling when in the pit, they also show the drivers position, the downside is that you want to have one per driver

My priority order when using a PC:

CU
USB PC connection cable from RichG, and B.Yingling's free software
Pitlane

Driver displays

If I would not want to use a PC, then:

CU
Lap counter
Pitlane

Position Tower
Driver displays
Startligth

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the excellent info. Any tips on extending power to remote track sections with the new control unit. Is it as simple as taking the bottom off and soldering wires like I have currently?

·
Tore
1,692 Posts
Yes, the only difference under the the CU track piece is that it also has two sensors, but they are wired separately from the power wires, so that's no problem.

But, it's better to wire the first power tap into the first normal track piece after the CU, then you don't have to open the CU and void the warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts