SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi all, at the '17 Vic Fair I bought this couple of Cheetaracha bodies

44555634341_9a59f3ffe2_z.jpgIMG_3471

43837546554_552a719e9c_z.jpgIMG_3472

Yes, they aren't exactly mint, but taking in account that the tags on the bodies show their prices in euros, they may qualify in a contest for the cheapest cheetaracha body ever. Seriously, I thought that, for that prices, maybe there was a possibility of doing something decent with them. To me, the Cox Cheetaracha is the nicest looking (even if far from accurate) of all slot cheetahs and I always wanted to have one. Building some kind of special with one ot these, using whatever parts, was my initial idea.

The bodies sit in a box for one year: I was having a look on them from time to time, only to put them back in the box. Last winter I was lucky enough to get a wrecked standard Cheetah with almost all parts I needed (many thanks for it Pete!). It is shown here, with the parts, together with the cheetarachas

29617729237_4a03012b87_z.jpgIMG_3635

Starting the job, I realized that the green body, besides being split in two pieces by two wrongly repaired cracks and having important parts missing, was too brittle to work with (I have seen a number of cracked dark green Cheetarachas, maybe its plastic is more brittle than other colors). So I decided to use its left front corner to easily repair the missing one on the red body. I located a correct driver and made repro headlight covers and a front spoiler from originals borrowed to a friend. Here are all the parts

42746834850_a8a38d836e_z.jpgIMG_3706

and, after cleaning, sanding, painting, mounting and decaling, here is the final result:

42746830510_f9ae01f952_z.jpgIMG_3755

44555636921_f3c03cc61b_z.jpgIMG_3754 by Eduardo Casas-Alvero, en Flickr

As they came to me, the chromed parts were rather "unchromed parts" (see the pictures), so I was about to paint all of them in black and give the car a somewhat sinister look. Fortunately, after the advice of a friend, I tried a new (at least here) chrome marker (brand is Molotow) with excellent results. Now it's time to look for a decent chassis...

·
Administrator
10,006 Posts
Nice restoration Eduardo! Do you have the correct chassis, etc. for it? What kind of glue did you use on the body - is it regular plastic or Cuc type?

I just discovered Molotow last year, and even though it reminds me of Molotov cocktails every time I see it, it works very well!

Don

·
re member
4,235 Posts
Can someone define a Cheetahracha body....? is it vac formed to fit the Cuc chassis?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Nice restoration Eduardo! Do you have the correct chassis, etc. for it? What kind of glue did you use on the body - is it regular plastic or Cuc type?
Thanks Don. Haven't yet a chassis, should get one from a friend, but not sure. Body seems regular plastic type, not the Cuc type. It glues ok with solvent type glues (I used Humbrol liquid poly this time) provided the parts are trimmed to fit together with no gaps.

Can someone define a Cheetahracha body....?
A Cheetaracha body is a modified version of the standard Cheetah body that fits the Cucaracha chassis, still hard plastic. It's lower and has some simplifications to make it faster, or at least to look so (cardboard inner tray, no side exhausts...).

Eduardo

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Thanks Don. Haven't yet a chassis, should get one from a friend, but not sure. Body seems regular plastic type, not the Cuc type. It glues ok with solvent type glues (I used Humbrol liquid poly this time) provided the parts are trimmed to fit together with no gaps.

A Cheetaracha body is a modified version of the standard Cheetah body that fits the Cucaracha chassis, still hard plastic. It's lower and has some simplifications to make it faster, or at least to look so (cardboard inner tray, no side exhausts...).

Eduardo
Stripes ALWAYS make you go faster..

·
Premium Member
5,270 Posts
Can someone define a Cheetahracha body....? is it vac formed to fit the Cuc chassis?
Hello John,
in the last trimester of 1965, Cox issued a 1/24 scale slot car kit of the Cheetah, a contraption designed by ex GM engineer Bill Thomas and built by Don Edmunds, made of a weak tube frame in which was shoehorned a 327 CI Corvette engine. A rather wild but aerodynamically inefficient body made of fiberglass topped the car. The car did not do well even against standard Corvettes, and of course the all-conquering AC Cobra cars.
The Cox kit had a magnesium chassis, a Mabuchi FT36D (Cox TT-X250) and an injected body made of red plastic.

Tire Wheel Car Hood Motor vehicle

A RTR version followed, built in Hong Kong from Cox parts shipped from Santa Ana, California.

Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle Vehicle

In 1966, the kit was re-issued in what is today a rare version called "Team Modified". Same body, new motor (Cox NASCAR 3500) and new magnesium chassis with adjustable gear ratio.

Comes 1967 and Cox issues 4 new kits using the same "Iso Fulcrum" ("IFC") chassis as that of the "Super Cucaracha", with a longer drop arm with a choice of two guide locations. One of the kits is that of the "Cheetah IFC", that receives a new body molding (still red only) with lower sides, a front spoiler/valance and with side holes to mount it with 4 self tapping screws on the chassis. This body was made of the top of the original mold with a new bottom that had all the modifications, saving on new tooling.

Below is a "Ferrari GT IFC" kit, same as the Cheetah IFC, just a different body:

Box Rectangle Packaging and labeling Font Metal

Now for the "Cheetahracha": these were injection molded spare bodies in 6 different colors, sold separately on a large dealer card with a chrome tree, windows and the typical Cox driver fitted in their F1 and "La Cucaracha" models, molded in pink (flesh...) plastic. A portion of the decals in the original kit was supplied with the body kits. This body kit was to be customer assembled and mounted on one of these IFC chassis.
But they never were, as some unscrupulous or ignorant sellers represented theirs at online auctions, actual factory RTR cars, in the same manner as any "La Cucaracha" in any other color than orange are not "real", just body kits customer assembled to a chassis .

Circuit component Tire Passive circuit component Rectangle Automotive tire

I hope that this will answer your question in full.
smile.png

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts