SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well no time to work on my track lately, but did manage to go the opening of the Red Bull Ring which is the old Austrian GP circuit rebuilt by Red Bull. Well might not be the right place to post pics here but if we are after some reality then one should visit and take in the buildings and landscape.

The pits look fairly simple to model. There was a leg of the Historic F1 going on.

Plenty of famous cars to look at. That's Mark Webber and he took the Porsche 911 GT1, Le Mans winner from 1998 out for a few laps.

And the Lively looking Paddock full of terrific cars almost as many cars as some of your collections!!

Jim.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Jim!

More photos please! Don't leave us hanging with only three teaser shots!

Good work though sir and I'm pleased to see that Red Bull have finally got the circuit running again. I heard they had had serious issues with noise complaints. These people who go and buy houses next to tracks and complain about the noise are infuriating.

Cheers

Gareth

·
Registered
424 Posts
QUOTE (Gareth @ 25 May 2011, 21:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I heard they had had serious issues with noise complaints. These people who go and buy houses next to tracks and complain about the noise are infuriating.
Too right! They had the same problem a couple of years back at Monza. The track had been there way longer than any of the local houses, so they shouldn't really have had a leg to stand on. It makes you sort of wonder what people think it will be like when they buy a house next to a F1 racing circuit.

I used to love the Austrian Grand Prix, it was something I looked forward to every year because it was just a little different. It was small, picturesque, and always provided great racing and threw up some unusual results. I'd be great to see it back on the calendar at the expense of one of the Spanish races.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we were wondering about and went upto Race control for a look and then coming downstairs, we then find ourselves on the other side of a Press barrier with this silver haired chap. I say to the wife, quick! take some pics... she says who's he... I say that Bernie... she says "Who's Bernie!"

Someone should do a diorama with him on there Slot circuit.

I spoke to the circuit manager and he thought they might get a GP again in 3 to 5 years. Yes great how it slopes up the landscape with some of the seating being up the slopes. I even got to be driven in a "taxi" around the track. Not your usual taxi ride in a 911 GTS with a helmet on! It got upto 211kmh, I took some video on iphone and will post some of it on here.

Sebastian Buemi had been driving this Lotus in a celebrity race, (I think it is a Jochen Rindt car) and Buemi hit the pit wall on the straight. Mechanical failure I think.

Met this guy who restored this Steve McQueen 908 Flunder that came 2nd in Sebring 1970 12hr race. His going to be racing in Monza in a few wks.

Jim.

·
Registered
424 Posts
QUOTE (Trg888 @ 26 May 2011, 07:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sebastian Buemi had been driving this Lotus in a celebrity race, (I think it is a Jochen Rindt car) and Buemi hit the pit wall on the straight. Mechanical failure I think.
I saw on f1fanatic that there had been a little mishap in the Lotus 49....it didn't say anywhere who was driving though. Mechanical failure or not, I bet he felt a bit sheepish when he got back to the pits after that!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the photos, I was wrong. Buemi drove a Winkelmann Racing Lotus 59B. But I am no expert, but have plenty of photos of him getting into the car. The Lotus 49 that hit the wall was driven by the owner. Both cars had Jochen Rindt on them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
QUOTE (Trg888)she says "Who's Bernie!"
Bernie "I run F1 fairly for all and what new rules would you like me to introduce for you this year, Mr Ferrari team owner?" Ecclestone.
That Bernie

Not that I'm unhappy with him being in charge of F1 at all.

Oh Noooo....

·
Registered
366 Posts
QUOTE (Trg888 @ 25 May 2011, 22:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...That's Mark Webber and he took the Porsche 911 GT1, Le Mans winner from 1998 out for a few laps...

Are you sure?

He almost swore to stick too formula cars only after his "flying lap" in the Mercedes CLM in 1999.
And now in a Porsche GT1 wich also made a flipover.

Must have been a sweaty day for him...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I'm sure it was Webber, he signed the block as on the photo below after his go!

Coming from a Porsche fan, I think the flipping incident happened in 1999. Shame for him he didn't have a go in this Porsche the year before, in a proper car!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.