Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a micro scalextric set (it's the Rally Power one from Argos, they're now out of stock) for the kids at Christmas and held it back until New Years Day to give them a belated surprise (I used to love that when I was a kid). It was running well all afternoon, we were surprised how fast the kids could make the cars go round the track. However after one of several crashes one of the two cars stopped working. The car that still works does so on either of the two lanes. The car that doesn't work causes the red power light to flash when it's sat on either lane. If I take that car off the track and put the working car back on either lane it runs fine, so at least it looks like the problem is the car itself and not the track.
I've left the track disconnected from the mains for an hour anyway just to check, but no difference. I've changed the metal contaact strips as well but that's made no difference. I don't really know what else to check.

Any suggestions ? I'm looking to get another set to let me extend this one but don't want to waste money if it's likely that the cars are going to stop working this quickly.

ps. this is my first post and I couldn't find an instance of the same question being asked already.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi Stuart,

Welcome to the fold. Sorry I can't help you as I only use 1/32nd stuff though I am sure the HO guys will be along to help you tomorrow when they get up. It is in all probability something quite simple.

All the best - Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Greg,
Thanks. I've been thinking along the same lines, that there's something straightforward that I've missed and that someone with some experience will be able to point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Micro Scalextric cars don't normally break that quick. If the red light is flashing then I would guess there is a short circuit somewhere. If you've replaced the braids, then are thw wires from the motor ok? Not too close or touching the axle? the wires from motor to pickups? If its not a short in the wiring/pickups then I'd test the motor. Remove the pick ups and run a voltage across the motor terminals and make sure that it's working ok. You can use a multimeter for this, or a 9V battery and a couple of bits of wire would work just as well. There really isn't much else to test.

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Hi Stuart

I don't have a MicroScalextric set-up, but I do run HO and have some of the MS cars.

The problem sounds like it's either a short in the car or there's something stopping the motor and/or drive train from moving.

My first thought was that the braids were touching, but you've fixed that

So, take the car and turn the rear wheels - they should move very freely.

If they do, the problem's complicated (see below).

If they don't, should be simple:

Pop off the body. Do they turn now? If yes, just replace the body so the wheels move (a crash probably caused the body to move and foul the rear wheels).

If they still don't turn, push down on the motor quite hard at each end. Does anything click back into place? And, if so, do the wheels move?

If that doesn't work, it could be that a rear wheel has shifted on the axle and is binding on the chassis. Is there a gap between the inside of each wheel and the chassis? If there's not, get a small screwdriver and gently prise the wheel away from the chassis.

If none of those work to get the wheels moving, I'll have to defer to the MS experts

If you got the wheels moving (or they always moved), you could try:

Blowing really hard into the motor to remove any fluff or debris.

Checking the front of the motor for any loose wires or connections - or anything touching that shouldn't be. Refer to the car that does work as an example of how things should look.

If the inside of the motor is blackened on smells a bit smokey, it could be that something is blown in there. It could be the only solution is to get a new car or chassis - a call/email to Scalextric customer services is recommended, but they could be quite busy just now...

But I do hope you have got it working

BTW other brands of HO scale cars work on the Micro track. Tomy AFX, Life Like and AutoWorld cars are all worth looking at as well as the Micro cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey diesel and woodcote, thanks for the advice.
The rear wheels seem to move ok but are slightly stiffer than the working car. I've compared the wiring in each and it looks the same. I tried again this morning and it moved a few mm before the light flashed and when I made an assisted lap (by pushing it, lol) it did briefly move itself a few times. Think I'll mail scalextric support and see what they offer. In the meantime I've ordered another set that comes with three cars (£35) as well as the mysims set as it was going for £22. Seem decent prices as the cars look about £10 each inc del. I'll be able to build a bigger track and have some spares as well.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Welcome to SF Stuart. I hope you get your problem sorted.

Whereabouts are you located? Maybe not now, but at some point adding your location to your profile might help you out in the future.

Woodcote is right about others makes of HO cars being worth a look - if you go to www.eahorc.com and look at the videos you will see many of them in action.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts