SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Rich Dumas
3,783 Posts
All of the 1/32nd scale motors that I have taken apart at least have a ferrite disc attached to the commutator, even if they have no external RFI filters. Scalextric cars add a small capacitor in parallel with the motor and Carrera cars have both inductors and capacitors attached to the outside of the motor. If your problem is actually sparking from the cars pickup braids the RFI filters on the car's motor may not solve the interference problem. You might want to turn down your room lights and see if the offending cars are sparking. A simple brush adjustment may solve your problem.

I have heard of counting/timing systems that had problems with interference. You indicate that you have a computer based system, but you have not indicated which one you are using. My own track uses Trackmate and that includes RFI filters. Trackmate is a very popular system in the US and I have not seen any reports of interference with that. A number of people have reported problems with homebrewed systems. Possibly you could get some of the capacitors that are used with Scalextric motors and put one across each pair of leads as close to the computer end as possible.

·
Rich Dumas
3,783 Posts
I forgot that the motor leads from a Scalextric car also go through a ferrite choke. Things like USB computer cables also have a choke in many cases. It would not hurt to include chokes for the wires that go to your computer besides the capacitors that I mentioned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts