SlotForum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently aquired a crash landed drone which had 4 slim can type motors (FF050) similar to those in RTR cars. Each motor had a PCB on the brush end with a "delta" capacitor network, ie 100nF across motor terminals and one each from motor terminal to motor case. I would say about the maximum you would need for a similar slot car motor, we always used 5nF across our motors back in the day. The main problem is VHF interference on especially (old) TV's and stereo analogue radio. Digital systems are more tolerant except in poor signal areas, they can be disturbed by a passing car with poor HT leads, had this problem til I upgraded the TV antenna.

Inductors in series with the motor indicate a possible problem with the motor fitted to the car, the manufacturer has decided to provide a belt and braces approach to obviate any local problems. As someone commented earlier re cheap slot cars from China, I stripped out a motor from a cheap RC car and it also had the full inductor and capacitor network attached.

When I tried to buy a new suppressor for a small AC motor from the local Singer shop, the owner told me to throw the old one away and not bother! You cannot get definitive answers so I would advise everyone to at least add a capacitor across the motor terminals...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts