SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am sure that everebody have noticed that some cars were very noisy. I really like my Fly cars for their look & feel but something that bothers me a lot is the gears noise. Sometimes it make me fell like I am not racing a slot but milling coffee beans. In the other side some other brands run very smoothly. Take for example Revell Monogram or Scalextric.

Any idea about how tuning Fly cars for reducing noise?

Cheers,
Maverick.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You could pack them with sawdust and sell it quick with a 200 yard guarantee

Ahem.. seriously, I take it you know about glueing the wheel bearings, motor and proshaft bearing into the chassis - that should cut down vibration and noise caused by thrashing about.

Hope it helps.
Mark.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Yes, Superglue (CA) is best as you can still remove the bearings when you need to if you pull hard enough.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Use it sparingly! A quick dabnext to where the bearing or motor clips in and capillary action will do the rest.

Mark.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I use five minute epoxy, two components; it will not run away as cyano and is easily removable from plastic parts when needed; to reduce gear noise you can also try some polishing compound ( a very small quantity ) on clean gears, and five minutes running wheels up; after, oil the gears as usual.
Ciao

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
ear mufflers I've found are always effective

make sure the pinion and contrate are not binding anywhere - if they are find the offending tooth on the contrate that is binding and take a slither (I mean a slither) off its leading edge. Want to end up with an ultra smooth operation.

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
If you are really brave you could try and hook the chassis up to a low voltage power supply and then carefully apply heat via a naked flame [match or lighter] directly to the plastic spur or contrate gear while it's running, try and apply it to the back of the gear and not the teeth and don't keep it on too long for obvious reasons but you will notice that after a few seconds the gears will run much quieter [if total silence then you have gone too far!].
It does work, honest Guv!
[oneofwos]

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
A squirt of toothpaste on yer gears is a lot less likely to cause combustion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I thought the same thing about my Fly car being too noisy and found that there are lots of loose parts that rattle around. The steering wheel and mirror sit on a little plate that is melted in but can still vibrate up and down and hit the body panel. At the rear of the car there is some phony suspension and exhaust gee gaws that fit around one of the body posts but are loose fitting. I suspect that if I glued all these parts firmly into place a lot of the racket the car makes would go away. So in addition to tuning the gears, check for loose parts your car body.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts