SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always been a guitar man apart from slot cars enjoyed music all my life , especially more since the Pandemick started , there is music for all occasions, sad , happy , mad , pensive e.t.c all moods are covered.
As i was sitting here in my air conditioned studio room i was listening as well as practising to some of the greats , never a Elvis fan liked some of his early stuff, but loved the early rock 'n' rollers , Little Richard, Jerry Lee, Duane Eddy who,s sound i have never got quite right, and Chuck Berry .
Chuck i had the fortune to see live 3 times and met him once at the stage door chuckle stage door that takes you back , so tonight i would like to just post a little tribute to him as i strap on my Strat and play Johnny B Goode which we played a lot all throught the years but i could never duck walk, try it in winkle pickers and cuban heels, where ever you may be and however you feel, out there is music for you to take your cares away with.
Musical instrument Guitar Musician String instrument Guitarist
Microphone Musical instrument Band plays Guitar String instrument
Musical instrument Musician String instrument String instrument Guitar
Musical instrument Microphone Smile String instrument Guitar

·
Registered
615 Posts
Love Chuck’s music and also had the great privilege of meeting him.

My weapon of choice is a Gibson for my cack-handed approximations of his music - my Strat’s just too much of a stretch for my wee hands!

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Ah, music. An international language understood by almost everyone who has ever lived.

Last September I was in Scotland on hols for a week, during which time I hadn't heard one note of music in any genre. I dislike music whilst driving and hadn't really felt deprived of aural stimulation until switching on the wireless upon arrival at home.

BBC Radio 4's long-running programme, Desert Island Discs, allows guests eight pieces of music for cultural comfort while stranded on a desert island, for life without music would probably be a lot less tolerable.

In his post above Keith comments upon having enjoyed playing music even more during the current crisis. Would be most interesting to learn if others use music, or the other creative arts, as a supportive cultural 'crutch'.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, music. An international language understood by almost everyone who has ever lived.

Last September I was in Scotland on hols for a week, during which time I hadn't heard one note of music in any genre. I dislike music whilst driving and hadn't really felt deprived of aural stimulation until switching on the wireless upon arrival at home.

BBC Radio 4's long-running programme, Desert Island Discs, allows guests eight pieces of music for cultural comfort while stranded on a desert island, for life without music would probably be a lot less tolerable.

In his post above Keith comments upon having enjoyed playing music even more during the current crisis. Would be most interesting to learn if others use music, or the other creative arts, as a supportive cultural 'crutch'.
We were rocking in Scotland and Croydon to remember a gig in Croydon think the Orchid Ballroom , now that's an old name ballroom , we had a set which consisted of around 24 numbers from out and out Rock 'n' roll to what we called belly rubbers , some late music where you could slow dance or just cuddle up , and a favourite was a lways alesser known Eddy number called The Last Dance , and the encore was either Peter Gunn or a Chuck Berry number.
One thing about Chuck was the similar cords and pattern so you could play most of his music straight of and on that particular night i was playing a Gretsch 6120, what they called a Chet Atkins model at the time, great for country and early rock 'n' roll.
And to play Chucks music on that was normally a de tune and i normally started of a track say Rock 'n' Roll music and the band just played Chuck Berry music behind me sorting out what song it was as we got going, always great fun especially in the later years when we knew each other so well.
Font Poster Movie Tints and shades Book cover

One of mine from 2018

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Keith

The branch of post War rock and roll of which you comment was in ascendance at a time that the engine in Enzo's GP cars was positioned in front of the driver. There has been much progress since in F1...

... but I'm not in a position to judge whether or not the world of popular music has advanced at a similar pace.

·
Registered
485 Posts
One of my favorite musical experiences was watching a documentary on the Rolling Stones when they played with Chuck Berry. Keith Richard was endeavoring to match the riff on the song (can't remember which one it was, possibly "Johnny B Goode"), and Chuck was having none of it. "That's not the way it goes!" he kept saying to Keith, who gamely tried time after time to "get it right." You could see steam coming out of his ears after the fifth or sixth iteration. Hilarious. To be scolded by one of your idols when you were initially thrilled to meet them....must have really hurt!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I must confess I like a bit of rock 'n' roll, in spite of being 20 odd years too young to have experienced the real thing first time around. By that I mean the stuff with a raw, feral edge to it, and not what is often presented as r'n'r but which actually seems to represent a transitional stage between the crooners and later mainstream pop.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you really wanna motor west take the highway that's the best on Route 66, another Chuck one we always played and the Rolling Stones did a great job on it one of their best early rockers , mind you their early stuff is the best.
They performed and recorded a lot of his music, another track that really went down well was Carol often got asked to do it at gigs for birthdays where we changed the name and Pat Cannon who was our singer then was great doing it , didn't quite sound the same with certain names chuckle.
Music for all times in my opinion from rocking Freddie Cannon to crooners like Pat Boone & Paul Anker catered for all.tastes.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Mentioning Paul Anker anyone remember Dream Lover , well i did in 2013.car related as well mechanic with wheel chuckle.

·
John Roche
4,202 Posts
I always say I play guitar because I enjoy it not because I'm good at it :p

Zoom guitar lessons have been a godsend during the pandmemic when you can't play with others!

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always say I play guitar because I enjoy it not because I'm good at it :p

Zoom guitar lessons have been a godsend during the pandmemic when you can't play with others!

Cheers,

John View attachment 277918
Nice guitar gives a great mellow sound, i,m using 2 Strats at the moment both USA Delux versions one a gold anniversary edition which i carry standard strings on and the other one is fitted with heavy gauge DE strings great for twang chuckle Musical instrument Guitar Musician String instrument accessory Guitar accessory

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
Never learned to play an instrument (and no one, no matter their sins, deserves to be subject to my "singing.") I did make an attempt, decades ago, to learn to play the bagpipes!! My goal was to be able to pipe the sun down from my boat at anchor - never progressed beyond the practice chanter.

My source - an elaborate audio system - Vinyl and CDs, high end (but not cult-like) electronics (I am not convinced that $100 litz wire mains cord will change the power available from a transformer mediated supply) and home built speakers - floor standing and weighing in at ~ 150 lbs each

While driving - rarely - don't like the distraction.

Genres? Now we get to the part where my atavism and intolerance emerges - my general attitude is captured in a line fromGilbert and Sullivan:

"Art stopped short in the celebrated court of the Empress Josephine"

In other words all manner of classical, baroque, opera, and romantic - fine Jazz - extensive collection from everything from Scott Joplin to Brubeck, "Pop" music, theatre and dance (big Sinatra, Piaf, Jacques Brel etc. fan) But - it all comes to a screeching halt ~ 70 years ago - although there are exceptions - some 60's balladeers, when it comes to rock, rock & roll, rap, country and western etc. I'd rather listen to a poorly shifted non-synchro gearbox. (and don't get me started on barely pubescent brats with microphones stuffed into their whining faces)

Have I left anyone unoffended?

EM

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm of the mind that there's no such thing as 'bad music', just music I don't care for - but if it floats someone's boat, good for them, as long as they don't play it in my earshot!

·
John Roche
4,202 Posts
Slot cars, guitars and motorbikes, the ideal number is how many you already have plus one :D

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
485 Posts
Google the YouTube video of the Stones playing "The Last Time" on the Ed Sullivan show. The difference between now and then in "Keef" is extraordinary! Probably the best example of ensuring that one lives a drug-free life I've ever seen...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Don’t know if those across the pond will be able to access this.

“St. Louis native Chuck Berry’s story will be told on PBS in an installment of the documentary series “In Their Own Words.”
The hourlong episode includes interviews with musicians Keith Richards, Slash, Robert Cray, Darius Rucker, Steve Miller and Steve Jordan, along with movie director Taylor Hackford, producer Marshall Chess, members of Berry’s family and others who unpack the rock icon’s life and career.
“In Their Own Words: Chuck Berry” debuts at 7 p.m. July 27 and will be available for streaming on ninepbs.org and on the PBS video app.”

Personally, I’m of the group that believes Berry would be nothing if it wasn’t for Johnny Johnson.
I was in a St. Louis club listening to Dave Edmunds when in walks Berry with a blond lady on his arm and his manager in tow. During a break, the manager had words with Edmunds, cajoling him into letting Berry up on stage.
All I can say is Dave Edmunds did Chuck Berry better than Chuck Berry did Chuck Berry.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don’t know if those across the pond will be able to access this.

“St. Louis native Chuck Berry’s story will be told on PBS in an installment of the documentary series “In Their Own Words.”
The hourlong episode includes interviews with musicians Keith Richards, Slash, Robert Cray, Darius Rucker, Steve Miller and Steve Jordan, along with movie director Taylor Hackford, producer Marshall Chess, members of Berry’s family and others who unpack the rock icon’s life and career.
“In Their Own Words: Chuck Berry” debuts at 7 p.m. July 27 and will be available for streaming on ninepbs.org and on the PBS video app.”

Personally, I’m of the group that believes Berry would be nothing if it wasn’t for Johnny Johnson.
I was in a St. Louis club listening to Dave Edmunds when in walks Berry with a blond lady on his arm and his manager in tow. During a break, the manager had words with Edmunds, cajoling him into letting Berry up on stage.
All I can say is Dave Edmunds did Chuck Berry better than Chuck Berry did Chuck Berry.
Saw Dave Edmunds a few times with his band back in the day and he was so underated a very good guitarist not a bad singer and could hold his own with anyone.
The boss wrote about when he was just coming along into the music industry , one of the gigs he did was to back Chuck Berry and on meeting him said Mr Berry what are we playing tonight , and Chuck just said do yiou know Chuck Berry , the boss said yes and Chuck said that's what were playing.
And i get that did not think Chuck was the greatest ever guitarist singer but he had the real deal the complete package and stage presence, when i was learning to play guitar did not play any particular Berry number , but just Chuck Berry once you had the riff you was away.
Little Richard was the same saw him and Chuck on tour many years ago now and he just played Little Richard and another one with stage presence , our keyboard player could play Good Golly Miss Molly which basically covered nearly every Richard song beat wise.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts