SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until 2 years ago, we lived in a house that had a large unfinished basement. My wife had bought the house during the economic crash in '08 (seem like grand times now!), and since she was only interested in the living spaces, her word to me was "you can do what you like" there. Being unfinished, it was quite cold most of the year, but I figured it was a step up (down?) as in the previous digs my mounted down and scenery decorated Revell track had to reside folded up in the garage, and due to 1:1 vehicles there, and the weather, really only saw use on balmy 3 day holidays. Very little hometrack running for 17 years. So in the new basement I decided to go crazy with all that plastic track we accumulate when all we really wanted was the one car in the sales box ("no, it's all or nothing; take or leave it"). Once I got lighting and a proper workbench up (situated under the lone heat vent!) it was time for track. First, down came the Revell on it's two 4x8 table sections. Was so happy I just ran cars continuously for 2 years before I remembered all the rest! So then, I scrounged as many table tops as I could: ping-pong 5x9, two 6 ft. folding, two cast-off dining tables, even a disarded door, arranged them in the room's center and did my best to level them all to each other. And for most of 2012, I sat and stared and moved sections of track around on it's surface. My goal: to have FOUR vintage plastic 1/32 tracks each of significant length to occupy basically the same (good-sized) space. Perhaps growing up and navigating the interchanges of Los Angeles helped, but I ended up with interwoven, up, over and around configurations that left almost no actual table top showing! Didn't even use a computer to lay it out. It helped that all the sets only had the common 14" radius curves so I could get into tight spots. The hard part was a joist support post right in the middle that had to be worked around. My daughter had recently bought all that Ikea kit furniture for her new place, so since I got to assemble that, I could keep all the styrofoam packing which served as risers for overpasses. So enough history; here's the rundown on the five, details, esp. track lengths are subject to bad memory:

1. My 34' REVELL has been permanently mounted to two 4x8 tables since 1987, the year said daughter was born. Arranged in an "L" it is fully sceniced (?). Has one overpass and a 7' back straight. Nostalgic since it is the actual track I purchased (and traded with a friend for more) back in the 60's. So buildings, pits, etc. are all vintage. Would do it differently today due to access to so much on the computer, but hey. .

BEST Feature: the interlocking "puzzle piece" track is superior to all in holding power and conductivity.

WORST Feature: apron fencing is delicate and breaks easily

The next four were temporary on the tables described above:

2. 55' MONOGRAM extended the full length of the tables, so afforded a 15' front straight. The favorite of guests due to probably that and it's smooth running surface (like the Revell). To fill in all the gaps, I was forced to use some of the curved chicane sections which I don't prefer.

BEST feature: again the easy, interlocking track system, but not quite as good as Revell. But I think I prefer the color.

WORST feature: original power pack and controls were wimpy, but then I just upgraded anyway esp. for the needed amperage for that length.

3. 44' STROMBECKER had to weave around and go up/down quite a bit to avoid the post and other track, but still could get in two decent straights at 7 and 9 feet. For a while I had a mix of the steel rail and one section of aluminum contactor, which made for exciting driving for my "magnet" friends! Under pressure I went to all steel.

BEST feature: I really like the grainy track surface which is very friendly to some of my 50+ year old tires! For some of my collection, really the only track they can circulate on, which has made it my choice for a 24' "test loop" in my new shop

WORST feature: a toss-up between the pretty sketchy inter-track connections and the shallow slot. It keeps me amused trying to keep it running!

4. 26' ELDON, was almost totally elevated into trestles, causeways etc. Used a Strombecker pack to get more amps for the length. With the Varney, another of those "toy" type setups.

BEST feature: really liked the "fold and lock" track assembly, which also gave mostly trouble-free conductivity.

WORST feature: another toss-up, this time 3-way between track joints that tear up braid (OK, that's the worst), no aprons, and no wiring for brakes!

5. 22' VARNEY, set up into an elongated figure eight, one overpass. For features, see my extensive comments under "ebay follies".

So Don, after all this you can probably deduce my favorite for several reasons is still the Revell. Made a wise choice as a 13 year old. In 2015 our club came over for a 50th birthday of the track's purchase and running.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I love the look of Monogram track. I still have a considerable amount of it. I was acquired the track over a period of 3 years in the hopes of building a large four lane. Had to leave it all on the east coast when I relocated.

I started with the 1/24 scale "Riverside" set and my collection grew from there. Great smooth surface and clean rubber or urethane tires grip really well. As you stated, the stock controllers are rubbish. I used parma controllers with gator clips on my layout.

Also, I had the Revell "Monaco" 1/24 layout and the 4 lane set as well. Nice track but the aprons are too narrow and the fencing is annoyingly brittle. Decent stock power supply and although the controllers are better than Monogram, that is faint praise.

Now,half my cars are vintage 1/24 so I gave in and bought Carrera with PM electronic controllers.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Interesting report Steve, not everybody can set up so many different tracks simultaneously. Here, we are tied to the standard Scalextric-Spain track (identical to the classical UK one), the only one really popular here, available used for small money. Not bad, but the old fences and shoulders broke as Exin's plastic gets weak with age. Also there are problems with some guides (Airfix, early Strombecker...) as the slot is narrow. Have some Strombecker track in the sets I have (Spanish and American) but never built a track with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts