SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our grand job lot of Scalextric goodies (see the thread about cleaning Scalextric track), we have unearthed a number of cars (some of which may be quite rare) - but sadly they have been painted by hand (I suspect using Humbrol paint) and this will have a negative effect on resale values.

John and I would like to clean the cars and sidecar combinations and sleds etc. to restore the cars to their original condition. Can anyone suggest the best way to remove the paint so as to restore them as near as possible to their original condition?

Martin

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for that. I'll pass the info on to John, who will no doubt do the more glamorous job of removing the paint whilst I clean track rails.

Martin

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
If you are hoping to remove the paint applied by hand and leave the original coat untouched I don't think that is going to be possible. You don't know what damage the hand paint job is covering. Your best bet may be to strip completely and respray in original colours. If you are worried about resale values I would point out that the time it takes to get the cars back to original can be considerable so it's a labour of love and not really a profit making activity!

The link to the Graymalkin site is useful and he has to be respected for the stunning models he makes.

There is a caveat that you need to be aware of - different manufacturers use different paint finishes and what works on one manufacturer will not necessarily work on another.

For example - Meths takes the tampo and paint off of Scalextric cars quite nicely. Meths doesn't touch SCX cars at all. Acetone (nail polish remover) made a real mess of one of my old Scalextric Porsche 935's - I ended up cleaning up the congealed goop using physical abrasion - not good.

In my experience (I have stripped and resprayed a few dozen slot cars) you need to try your various chemical options on a small part of the car to see if it has the desired effect.

Bearing in mind whatever was used to hand paint your cars may not respond to chemical attack and so you may have to use physical means (more on that in a bit).

I recently stripped a Super Resistant Porsche 997. I soaked it overnight in Methylated Spirit, wiped away the paint and soaked it again in the same solution to loosen the rest. You may find paint still sitting in panel lines etc. in which case gentle scrubbing with meths and a toothbrush (an old one!!) should clean it up nicely.

The same approach works for older Scalextric cars such as the Ford Taurus NASCAR of which I have stripped 4 to date.

Removing decals on old cars is simply a case of soaking it in hot soapy water for a few minutes and wiping them away. Tampo (printed decals) can be removed with meths on cloth wrapped around your finger but BE CAREFUL as it will remove the paint around and underneath it unless you exercise caution. For small areas of tampo use a cotton bud and be patient as nothing seems to happen for ages and then suddenly the tampo disappears. This trick can also be used to remove the printed car name from the current Scalextric crystal display case if you want to display a different car.

Don't forget before and after photos - it's always interesting to see

I haven't yet found the right chemical to remove SCX paint - acetone doesn't work, meths doesn't work and 99% alcohol doesn't work. If you find out - please let me know!!!

The physical method for removing paint that I use is to buy Astonish oven and cookware cleaner. It's a grey paste that is abrasive with quite fine particles. It's only about £1 for 500g and is enough to strip dozens of cars. Put the body in warm/hot water and use an old toothbrush to pick up the cleaning paste and scrub the body. Use a circular motion with light pressure, put on your favourite CD and deploy some patience. The results are a nice clean body which is perfectly keyed for your base coat of paint. You can remove mould flash lines and imperfections in the moulding by wet sanding with fine grit (I use 800 and 1200) wet and dry paper but be gentle because the plastic on some models sands away very quickly. Even if you use chemicals to remove the paint you can still use the paste to key the body for fresh paint - it gets into nooks and crannies that sandpaper can't so easily.

·
Phil B.
3,775 Posts
If I can chuck in my 2p, meths will strip SCX cars but you need to be patient, it will take three to four days or more, but eventually it will bemove the paint. The newer SCX cars which are lacquered are a bit more stubborn. I have a 131 in a tub soaking as we speak. I have found that meths won`t touch Ninco`s

Cheers - Phil

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Some SCX cars are different - this week i stripped a Volvo S60R in meths and the paint floated off in less than a day. This was one of the multi printed liveries so used a different tech to normal SCX cars. - Like others normal SCX cars can be very difficult to strip - the paint comes off easy enough, but the tampo remains.

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
QUOTE (Aberstone @ 13 Dec 2011, 12:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If I can chuck in my 2p, meths will strip SCX cars but you need to be patient, it will take three to four days or more, but eventually it will bemove the paint. The newer SCX cars which are lacquered are a bit more stubborn. I have a 131 in a tub soaking as we speak. I have found that meths won`t touch Ninco`s

Cheers - Phil

That's the one - a lacquered SCX NASCAR. I ended up using the oven & cookware cleaner - it did the job with a completely clean body after about an hour of scrubbing

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,

As ever, I am grateful for all the advice from experienced members of the forum. Will let you all know what happens.

Martin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts