SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Phil B.
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen - Can someone please suggest a safe way of removing Scalextric tampo`s prior to re-spraying a bodyshell?
I`ve been told that brake fliud will do the job but I don`t want to try that on a brand new shell without some sort of advice, oven cleaner cropped up in the conversation as well. Can any one offer advice please?
Cheers Phil B.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi Phil,

I used brake fluid successfully on a Scaley GT40 body.
I've also used oven cleaner (Mr. Muscle) for stipping bodyshells in the past without any problems...

best regards
Paul

·
Phil B.
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul - Thanks for the prompt reply, I`m going to give the Lister a brighter paint job, I`ll get it soaking right now! Cheers Phil B.

·
Alan Tadd
4,038 Posts
I'm with you two Guys....I always use fine finishing paper, you have to prepare the body to give the paint a key anyway.

If it's good enough for real Healey's it's good enough for slotties.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hiya, when I stripped the decals off my Scaley Focus, I used enamel thinners along with the abrasive side of a washing up sponge. Oddly enough, it did work!!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You ever seen those things your mum (or wife) keeps in the kitchen?

Yellow sponge with a gree scourer on one side.

I use the scourer side, it isn't too abrasive and it keys it up nicely.

I would like to get rid of tampo without harming the piant, 'cos I like plain coloured cars but don't like the extra weight on a couple of layers of paint. Dunno what these fluids do to the paint, any ideas?

Lotus

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Oi, Fergy...Leave it!!

Actually, I've used T-Cut on a cotton cloth. You know... T-Cut the car paint restorer?
Anyway, I used it on my brown Policar Ferrari 355 shell and with quite a bit of elbow grease it was a success
I made sure I washed the shell afterwards in soapy water etc. then I applied the UPS decals meant for a Porsche Supercup car, followed by some acrylic lacquer sprayed over the top. It now looks the business!

Hope this is of some use.
Mark.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I have used T Cut but I've had most success with Methalayted Spirits, by most success I mean that you don't have to rub too much as the meths attacks the tampo so quickly and a lot of it wipes off on a cloth without any effort.

David

·
Registered
286 Posts
I too have used T-Cut and found it works every effectively.

I needed a street version of the Scalex Beetle. The T-cut removed the tampos without damage to the body finish which after a wash in soapy water just needed a polish to make as good as new.

At the time I also removed the tampos from the windows - does any one an effective way to do this?
I eventually scrapped them off with my finger nail which surprisingly didn't mark the glass - but if there's a safer less risk method I'd prefer to use it in the future.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I puzzled for some time on how to remove tampo from glass sections asking various restorers etc all to no avail - until I mentioned it to my wife!!!
She suggested using her nail varnish remover, the type formulated for false nails.
It worked a treat.
From experience though if using it on a body, it will only work on the tampo and not on some of the larger painted areas.
As with any solvents though, especially any acetone based solvents, it is best to test them on a hidden section of the car first.

·
Jim Moyes
5,056 Posts
Ahh, Mr Nerfee!!

When I saw you commenting on this topic I fully expected you to suggest that racing a few times at Farnham was a good way to remove tampo printing, particularly from the sides of a vehicle!

But I was obviously mistaken!

Stand easy!

Mr.M

P.S. A bloke just jumped the barrier while you were reading this!

P.P.S. How do you restore a various? And how long has your wife been doing it?

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Mr M- you have clearly forgotten some of your Latin declining - your question should have been "how do you restore a varium?" (Various is the plural noun )

My other concern is that Mrs Nerfee has tampo printing on her body but the god news is that she now has a way to remove it.

It certainly looks a nce day for the British Olympic trials for Barrier jumping to take place - are you taking part?

J-c

·
Jim Moyes
5,056 Posts
QUOTE (j-c @ 23 Apr 2004, 09:27)Mr M- you have clearly forgotten some of your Latin declining - your question should have been "how do you restore a varium?" (Various is the plural noun )
Sorry sir

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE When I saw you commenting on this topic I fully expected you to suggest that racing a few times at Farnham was a good way to remove tampo printing, particularly from the sides of a vehicle!
Yes, that method could be used if one of your opponents is j-c (the original Farnham Nerfer) and another opponent is Farnham Nerfer (the young pretender). Then both sides of the car can be cleared at the same time.

QUOTE My other concern is that Mrs Nerfee has tampo printing on her body but the god news is that she now has a way to remove it.
What??? Methods of tampo removal are now detailed in the Bible?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why don't you try with Isoprophyllic alcohol? (spell liks this?)

It doesn't harm plastics nor glasses.

I usually do with the nincos: 3 days bath is isoprophyllic alcohol* and with just a look paint and tampo goes away...

* Sort of floor/surfaces cleaning alcohol...

·
Registered
16 Posts
LOL waheeeey lots of ideas - OK i will ask for advice and will be reeeeeal specific

I am going to redo one of my f1 cars - the Jordan 197 (the one with the snakehead) its the scaley one. So i need to strip everything off it - Logos , livery and also the yellow colour and then prep it for repainting / decalling.

I have absolutly no concerns about the weight of paint as it won't be a competition racer - just something to run at home. I've no idea where my nearest s/r club is anyway being in Bracknell LOL

So what should i strip it with ? something easily obtainable pref

What should I prep and undercoat with ? I am planning to use Tamiya coloured lacquers for the paint job (the predominant colour is going to be white anyway!!)

Lastly whats my bet bet for getting a set of F1 wheels with the up to date Michelins? I am not planning to spend 27 quid on one of scaleys latest (and quite superb) Toyotas, Renaults etc just to pirate the wheels !!

Gentlemen your advice and assistance is most welcome

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi Dikki,

I striped the tampos of a GT1 Porsche using Mr Muscle oven cleaner (the aerosol), I sprayed it on, left it there for about 5 mins and then rinsed it. I then just rubbed the tampos with my fingernail and hey presto! all gone.

Sheesh, don't ask about painting - I really screwed up the undercoat stage and I am trying to remove my awful handy work.... Others here are true experts on this though, so I'll leave it to them!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts