Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just picked a couple of Slop Gear Nissan GTRs for a few quid each and I could like to remove the logos but leave behind the rest of the paint and what passes for detailing.

If I immerse the cars in white spirit or similar will the paint remain? Would hours of cotton bud applications and scratching with a piece of wood be better/safer??

Thanks for any help - Greg

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
I immersed some 1990's Scalextric Ford Taurus cars in Bartoline "Clean Spirit" - a green alternative with low VOCs. After a couple of days all the tampo simply floated off the bodies leaving the paint completely intact. The stuff came from Wilkinsons (they are online if there's no shop near you).

One bath (just enough to cover a slot car body) of the stuff has de-tampoed 6 Taurus and 2 porsches (see below) so far so it's a cheap option for my Taurus production line!

I also did the same to a couple of Porsche 997's from the Triple Cup set (circa 2010/11). In both cases the chemical removed all tampo except the white !?! Paint was untouched although the gloss was down very slightly (I assume there was a clear coat over everything including the tampo).

I also know that good old Meths will remove the tampo from a new Scalextric crystal display case BUT that is tampoed onto plastic so I'm not sure what effect Meths would have if you rubbed the paint for too long.

Damn - more confusion!

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly what I needed ........... thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
[quote name='Mr Modifier' date='26 Apr 2012, 13:08' post='706051']
I immersed some 1990's Scalextric Ford Taurus cars in Bartoline "Clean Spirit" - a green alternative with low VOCs. After a couple of days all the tampo simply floated off the bodies leaving the paint completely intact. The stuff came from Wilkinsons (they are online if there's no shop near you).

Hi,

is it "clean spirit" really or "white spirit" - that´s what I found on Wilkison´s homepage.

Bets regards

Ulli

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Hi Ulli,

I am looking at the bottle right now. The brand is Bartoline. The label says CLEAN SPIRIT For Brush Cleaning & General Purposes.

There is a barcode on the back and it's number is:

5 010789 955021

Sorry - not near a camera right now.

Oh wait a minute - Google to the rescue

Take a look here - it should be available from a few places as it is not Wilkinson's own brand.

Click me

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just picked up a early 90's Bugatti EB110, blue with racing tampo's,
I want to convert back to "Blue" road car, should I remove tampos and
paint or just paint over all? SCX 1990's car.

ncng

1 - 10 of 10 Posts