SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've gotten the scratch build bug after seeing all these wonderfull cars here and now I'm embarking on a new project.
I've just bought a Renault f1 car from the late 70's early 80's but I'm not sure what type it is. The RS10/RS11 or RS12.

http://www.google.nl/imgres?q=polistil+ren...tx=53&ty=66

Can anyone identify it?

I've never worked with an Polistill car before so I'm not sure if it will fit newer parts.
If anyone has got more experience on working on these kind of cars let me know, I can really use your advice.

Cheers,

Danny

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Your Renault seems to be the RS01 in the Polistil "Champion 175" series, cat. no. A115. The website www.policar.info describes it as a 1979 car, though that may apply to when it was issued more than the 1:1 car year. The RS01 raced from 1977 to early 1979 and, as driver#8 says, its body shape changed. It ran with a variety of aerofoils, air intakes, engine covers, radiator bodywork, etc, so perhaps don't worry if the first photos you find show a different-looking car.
Can't help you on development. I have the Wolf in the same series but haven't done anything with it. They are attractive little cars, but the motor is a rather feeble old cube and, as usual on Polistils, the tyres are poor.
You may find something by using the SlotForum search box (up to the right), but don't be confused by what people have done on the earlier Polistil series with cars like the McLaren M23, Tyrrell 005/006 and Lotus 76. They are bigger cars with can motors and their rear wheel-axle unit can be easily replaced by a Scalextric unit and decent tyres are easily available.
Enjoy your project.
Rob J

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Hi Danny,

I have renovated several of the Polistil F1 cars. Rob summed them up, nice little cars by very under powered. Ortmann produce replacement rear tyres (35a I think) but I have not found a replacement motor that fits. They could also do with a little bit of weight to stop body bounce

Here are a couple of photos that have with the Renault in them:

Good luck!

Philip

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
There's a 2007 thread on these cars at http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25886
The "air tyres" mentioned were on the following series, "F1 Professional", as was the guide behind the front axle.
If you're keen on chassis building, Danny, one possibility would be a sledge like the original but with new parts all round (or front to rear).
If the originator of the 2007 thread did build a new chassis, I can't find a post of it.

I think I'll leave my Wolf as it is, apart from the tyres. That's a good-looking group you have, Philip.
Rob J

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've just got the car in, It's quite the right size, at least the wheelbase is around the same size as my other slotcars. But it still seems a bit small.
The other difficulty I found was finding the right version, I haven't found a single picture which displays the car that I have.
Sometimes the side is different and sometimes the nose, and other times it's the hood of the engine! It's incredible, I think the one most resembling the car is the first version in 1977. So that's the one I'm going to make.

Here's some pictures of the car.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I took this photograph of the RS01 at its very first race at Silverstone in the 1977 British Grand Prix.

David

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers David,

I've seen a lot of things that can easily be improved. Such as the engineblock, the front suspension the rear wing etc.
Also I'm thinking of changing the chassis to make room for a smal scalextric of fly motor. But that depends on how the car handles when I'm finished with it.
I was wondering, could an axle of a fly lotus 78 fit onto these cars? Then I would have the perfect tyres to go with it.

New pictures coming soon!

Greets

Danny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts