SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hoping for some help please.

I bought a Ninco car from a trader at the slot festival in may,but it has never worked properly. Unfortunately I didn't get a receipt or know the name of the trader to try and replace the car.

Anyway the car was sporadic and kept cutting out, or not working at all and causing the red led on the scalextric sport powerbase to do. When I have taken the car to bits and looked at the motor, it works when there's no load but stops as soon as I put it back in the chassis and alone the gears back up.

The motor is a Ninco nc-5 but looking around the online sites this motor is discontinued. So asking if anyone knows what is the best motor to replace the nc-5? I'm not a racer and just run my cars on my track in the garage so not looking for anything with loads of torque or anything fancy.

If anyone knows what's the best motor to get it would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Alan

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi Alan,
I could be wrong here but as I understand it the Ninco NC-5 motor is a type FK-180, in which case the NC-3 or NC-7 might be a suitable replacements ....

Greg.

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
If you want to buy a Ninco motor to replace it then the NC-14 is the motor Ninco makes that is closest to the NC-5, if you hunt around eBay or the forums you may find an NC-5 for sale as people replace them in the Ninco classic cars.

If you went for a new Ninco motor I find them to be expensive (you could pick up a whole car on eBay for the same price as a replacement motor). If you have a look around you should be able to pickup a Fk-180 style motor for about 1/3 of the price of a Ninco I will see what I can find and send you a PM.

You may be able to pick one up from an electronics hobbyist shop.

Specs on motors can be found here
http://slotcarnews.blogspot.com.au/2007/02...motor-list.html

The NC-5
NINCO NC-5 (FK-180) [16,216 RPM/12v] 20,000 RPM/14.8v

cheers
David

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
I have found that the Slotting Plus Rally motor is a great replacement for the NC5. Check out ebay,often on there for sale.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Alan
you say the motor works out of the chassis but not in it, if using a 9volt battery see if you can stall the motor, if you cannot do this then I would suggest there is nothing wrong with it and that there is something out of alighenment between the chassis and motor or a high spot on the gears. or a short in the wiring, nc5 motors are normally very robust, not to say it wasnt abused by the previous owner, you could run it in some battery or de-ionised water to see if there is any crud in it then check the axle is inline and straight with nothing binding, it could also be a mismatch of angle gears if you have a black pinion with a red gear or the other way round then the mesh would be sxxt and not work that well.
Zen

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Dump the NINCO and if you want to get similar performance go for a NSR Baby King. If you want more performance go for a higher spec NSR King Motor to suite your track layout.

Ray

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I believe the closest to original spec would be a JP Slot motor ( there is only one?)

Cheaper but more RPM and a little more torque a scaleauto SC-0011B

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for the info, i'll have a look at the different motors.
I bought the car brand new (well the seal was on the box) so think it may be a deffective motor with a fault on it.

Zendragon,
I can stop the motor with my fingers when it is spinning and it has started cracking like there is a short in it, and the gears all look alainged and i have tried an old scalextric motor on it and that works fine. It just doesn't sit in the housing and i'm not experienced enough to make it fit. Just after a nice replacement that will sit in the current housing fine.

Again thanks,

Alan

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
Hi Alan

Which Ninco car is it.

I glue the motors in on all my NC-5 powered Ninco cars - I find that they hop around too much as the torque in the motor tends to twist in the housing.

Is it really noisy? I have received a couple of 'new' ninco cars that didn't appear to have been run much if at all but the pinion on the motor was split which made them very noisy and a little erratic.

When you said it doesn't sit in the housing - can you post a photo - not sure why this would be, but wouldn't want you to buy a new motor and have the same problem

cheers
David

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Alan,

On the topside of the motor cut the pink wrapper with an Exacto knife around the oval hole in the motor. Then you can see inside. Maybe it is sparking like crazy? It just maybe some dirt in the commutator or something in the motor from manufacture? This may be remedied by simply running the motor in soapy (washing up liquid/dish detergent) water? It is worth a dunk! You can use a regular 9v battery across the braids.

If you have a digital volt meter or even a cheapo analogue one
connect it to the motor leads and rotate the motor you can measure the armature resistance. This won't cure anything but if one of the sections is open circuit then at least you know the motor is definitely toast.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
What a brilliant thread this has become .......

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Alan I wasnt asking if you could stop it spinning, I meant did it remain stopped or did it spin up again, if it does spin up then it requires running in the water as suggested, one thing I found with ninco mounts is that one of the motor lugs for the pickup cables sits on the framework causing the motor to ressonate and also cause misalighnment of the gears.
The JP slot motor is the best replacement engine although very slightly faster
Zen

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
QUOTE (GregK @ 18 Sep 2012, 11:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What a brilliant thread this has become .......

Agreed!
I'll keep watching, because I may need to replace a couple of motors.

I have replaced an MSC motor (Thunder2??) with a Ninco NC-2 which is the same size as the NC-5 - so the MSC motor will also replace the OPs NC-5. Another option there. There is an eBay sale with a couple of NC-2s, if the OP is interested. Not me selling (it's where I got my NC-2 from).

QUOTE (dangermouse @ 18 Sep 2012, 11:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I glue the motors in on all my NC-5 powered Ninco cars - I find that they hop around too much as the torque in the motor tends to twist in the housing.
I had this problem with a Ninco Focus. I had the car for six months and couldn't get to the bottom of it - I was on the verge of getting rid of it. This last weekend I noticed that the motor had been hammering against the underside of the interior, but somehow re-inserting itself into its chassis mount every time I took the car apart. I'm loathe to glue any of my motors, so I cured the problem with a couple of 1mm foam pads stuck to the interior. Problem solved!
The car is as sweet as a nut now, and I'm finally happy with it.

HTH

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
All posts suggest Alan has a pinion puller to swap the motor pinion over from old NC5 to his choice of new motor.
So shouldn't suggestions only be for motors with correct pinion already fixed? So what car car is is for?
Angle winder ir inline?
Steve A

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steve,
The car is a Ninco Lowes Acura Le Mans racer runing an Inline arrangement. Afraid i haven't got a pinion puller to remove the gear. It's a shame it wasn't anglewinder as i have a ninco porsche with an anglewinder setup and i could have just swapped the motors as the gears are the same

Think i might have to invest in a pinion puller as this hobby is slowly taking over my life.

Mike,
Thanks for the soapy water tip, i'll try that and i'll cut open the foil and have a look in.

Zen,
Yeah it ran when i let go of it and thanks for the PM, i'd spotted them earlier on that site when i searched for those motors in google and i'll make a call next week when it's pay day.

All thanks, and i'll let you know how the soapy water test goes later

Alan

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
QUOTE (Steve A @ 18 Sep 2012, 16:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>shouldn't suggestions only be for motors with correct pinion already fixed?
My NC-2 came with the pinion on.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 18 Sep 2012, 18:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My NC-2 came with the pinion on.

In keeping with required levels of etiquette, discussed recently on the forum.
ER ..... Yes. But it was important to establish which pinion. As a rally fan most of your cars will be in line, with 9 tooth 5.5mm brass pinion. The layout Ninco use to facilitate the four wheel drive bands.
Many of the Ninco GT cars are angle winder layout, fitted with conical red plastic pinions, the two are not at all compatable.
Alan if you are contemplating investing in a gear puller (and yes at the price of more than most cars, invest is the right word!),
Can I recommend the slot-it puller. One of those tools that gives pleasure when used ( boy that sounds wierd). As will all tools there are many on the market and will not doubt lead to more discussion again as to which is best. There are two versions of the slot it tool. The original with square section brass slider giving two faces, and the new one with hexagonal cross section brass slider offering three working faces.
Regards
Steve A

·
Registered
834 Posts
& yes, this hobby will be taking over your life, prepare to be immersed!

when you do buy tools, be sure to research & buy good quality ones, as a cheap tool leads to frustrating usage!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts