SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post so I hope you can help!

I was recently lured into buying a 1965 Monogram Ferrari on ebay. Although I have been collecting slot cars for a while this is the first car like this I have owned.

It looks fantastic and I love the brass chassis and although the car runs it needs a little bit of mechanical TLC to get it back to its best. Firstly the tyres are so hard that it is like running on ice! There is no way the tyres are coming off the rim so I am looking for replacement rear wheels and tyres to fit the axle which appears to be about 3mm and the wheels screw onto the axle. It also needs a new crown gear if it is going to run smoothly.

Who makes the spares I need? Thanks for you help.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

If you don't get any joy with Paul's excellent recommendation, try Electric Dreams they have almost everything related to old Slot cars.

http://www.electric-dreams.com/elecdrms-home.htm

In the UK you might try Phil Smith who has all sorts of goodies tucked away

http://www.philsmith.co.uk/

Nice to see you doing a restoration as well, these cars should be preserved, (and used).

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys it seems I am spoilt for choice! A good use of a quiet Friday at work - trawling the internet for spares!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

There were 3 versions of the car, I don't know which you had.

First version had a multi peice brass chassis with aluminum rims.

Second version had a simple stamped chassis

third had a plastic chassis with plastic wheels.

All of them can get the tires safely removed without harm.

The axles are 1/8th inch, not 3 mm.

In the DAY, I NEVER ran the stock gears and they were very fragile. Always replaced the crown with the Cox 25t gear. Indy Grips and Puma Paws make replacement silicone tires that not only usually work better but don't wear out.

Fate

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
As from 1st september I am launching a new obsolete and vintage slot car spares web site

scaleslotcarspares.com

You are welcome to have a look at progress on the site, but I will not be taking any orders until the 1st.
I have 1000,s of spares here to list and it will be a mammoth task, I even doubt if I will get everything listed by then!

Any comments, bug reports etc are welcome

Phil

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Excellent Phil...lokks very comprehensive.

I noticed a Section on E.J's there, does this mean you will be stocking the E.J Hobbies chassis and Wheels?

Regards

Alan

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I had a list of slot car manufacturers and ej was on it, the list you see won't be the final one, this is very much, at the moment, a work in process.

I really want this to be for obsolete and vintage cars, so it probably won't list any contemporary stuff.

As I said, I have so much stuff here to list that I am not really sure what I do have!, be patient and all will be revealed!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi

Phil the website looks brilliant. The sites already out there can be very confusing due to the amount of stuff they are trying to list. Your different search methods really make sense and should provide a brilliant resource. I had trouble locating the parts I wanted in the UK so maybe I will wait until your website is up and running!

I realise now that the axels on my car are 1/8inch. The chassis is a multi part adjustable type allowing you to adjust almost every aspect of the car set-up. This seems so much better than the basic plastic chassis I am used to. I am really looking forward to getting this car running. smoothly.

JS

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
It seems to me that all you need for your car are some good rear tyres, such as ortmans, and a better contrate such as a cox one.
I can sort these out for you, but need to know the size of the rear tyres, all you need to do is measure their width.
You do not need new wheels as you can easily cut the old ones off the wheels with a knife and then clean all the sticky rubber bits off the wheels.

I think that the prof has got it a little wrong on chassis types

1st type: 2 piece stamped brass adjustable, aluminium wheels

2nd type: brass and aluminium adjustable , drop arm, aluminium wheels

and the 'set car'/rtr' chassis, stamped metal, either steel or brass, non adjustable, fixed pin guide, plastic wheels.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really happy bunny now!

Got the Ortman tyres and Cox gear from Phil. This is a fantastic car to drive and much more competative than I had imagined. Gives my modern day Revell Monogram Shelby Cobra a run for its money!

Thanks for the help everyone, I can really recommend these vintage cars to anyone, especially those who like to tinker with their set-up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts