Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,

I recently acquired an old Scalextric Aston Martin which is in excellent condition apart from the rear bumper which has a bit broken off.

I want to replace that part, anyone familiar with this model will know that the bumpers are fitted to the base onto small pillar like fixings and then what look like to me 'melted' down to keep the bumper in place.

What I need to know is: How do I remove the old bumper without damaging the small pillar fixings, which are needed for the replacement part?

The way the bumpers are fitted is similar to the C69 Ferrari Berlinetta and probably other vintage cars from the 60's.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this fidgety task.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...Anyone?

It's a valuable green Aston Martin about 49 years old with lights (E3) and comes with it's the original box.

If I stampede into the model and damage it beyond repair then I'm doing it an injustice.

Please....?

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
hi, slotcar
It might help if you posted a pic of the bumper area and pillars. Personally, I'd like to help but have no idea what old Scalextric bumper fastenings look like.

John

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
On most old Scalextric cars, to remove trim, one just picks away on the swollen stem inside the shell with a sharp modelling knife, such as an X-acto or ProEdge, slicing tiny slivers off until it's loose.
I no longer have a sports-car with bumpers from that period, and I can't picture your "pillars".
Do you have your replacement bumper yet?
Rob J

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes, with a sharp knife, make accurate cuts, taking your time and letting the sharp blade do the work. Don't use excessive force like I often do, breaking the blade or the parts. And do NOT try to break the part off until you have cut it 100% loose.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (John Cahill @ 12 Feb 2012, 04:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi, slotcar
It might help if you posted a pic of the bumper area and pillars. Personally, I'd like to help but have no idea what old Scalextric bumper fastenings look like.

John

Thanks John for your reply, I wish I could put a picture on but I haven't a clue how to.

QUOTE (Rob J @ 12 Feb 2012, 04:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On most old Scalextric cars, to remove trim, one just picks away on the swollen stem inside the shell with a sharp modelling knife, such as an X-acto or ProEdge, slicing tiny slivers off until it's loose.
I no longer have a sports-car with bumpers from that period, and I can't picture your "pillars".
Do you have your replacement bumper yet?
Rob J

Thanks Rob, I obviously didn't explain it properly. You say 'swollen stem' that's probably what I meant, to me it looks like heat has been introduced during production and melted the fixing stems to hold the bumpers in place. Your suggestion along with Pertti jarla below in using a sharp modelling knife appears to be the only way to get it off, thanks for that.

No I haven't got the bumper yet, as it's the one with the small hole that was used for the 'Marshal' flag pole - I can get the other type 10 a penny but I'd rather replace it with an original if possible.

QUOTE (pertti jarla @ 12 Feb 2012, 08:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, with a sharp knife, make accurate cuts, taking your time and letting the sharp blade do the work. Don't use excessive force like I often do, breaking the blade or the parts. And do NOT try to break the part off until you have cut it 100% loose.

Thanks Pertti jarla, your advice is taken.

cheers
Billy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts