SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently working on an Ocar XJ12C and I have now reached the stage where I need to sort out the
windows. The kit comes with a vacform as you would expect but whilst the body is very good the vac
form is IMO a very poor fit and I wondered what other methods for marking out plus what materials
and fixing adhesive folk use??

I am thinking along the lines of cutting the front and rear screens individually.The side windows should
be easy as they are flat.

I did PM a member who posts regularly on here and he was kind enough to give me some advice and I
have had a bit of an experiment but my skill levels are no where near his.

Thanks

Cheers
Eric
 

·
Phil Kalbfell
Joined
·
3,373 Posts
The windows are best cut out and fitted as seperate pieces. Place the windows inside the body and mark out the window shape , then trim the window LARGER than required. The carefully retrim the window to fit the opening, take your time!
A emry board for nails is good to sand the windows.
I then use a PVA glue that will dry clear to fix the windows. Micro scale make a good product, but I have found some PVA craft glues are just as good and cheaper.
 

·
Nobby Berkshire
Joined
·
2,015 Posts
The vacform 'coke bottle' windows of almost every resin manufacturer do not fit well. Follow the advice given above. It's good. But I use 10 minute epoxy resin. Make sure you scratch off some paint first or your seal will be less robust.

You can also cut out better shaped pieces from plastic bottles and food packaging if you can get the right bits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Hi Eric,

I had the same problem with a Teamslot Manta, followed the advice from the helpful guys on here and my windows turned out really well. I used both PVC glue on half and then epoxy on the others just to see which was better. Both had their merits... One tip which was extremely helpful was to lightly bend the screens over a screwdriver handle or similar to shape it and that made heaps of difference. T'other Phil is spot on about using an emery board. He told me the same. Good advice.

Good luck

Phil T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,717 Posts
When I make the vac-form patterns for any master I do, I always make the windows to be moulded flat. I also don't make them until I have the first moulding back from the moulder (usually Steve Francis) in case of any shrinkage.

There is no way one of those "greenhouse" mouldings will ever fit properly except by complete chance. Since most of them don't fit it's best to cut them down each corner and along the top of each window. Throw away the rest. Lay each window inside the model and trim all round until they fit either from behind or in the aperture, whichever you're happy with, then carefully lay some of your chosen glue in from inside the model. let it run into the joint by capillary action and set aside. Do one at a time.

On a "greenhouse" unit the bottom edges are often flared where the vacuum didn't quite pull it in. In that instance the only answer is to make new flat windows from acetate/PVC/PTEG sheet and cut carefully to fit.

Don't despair.
And better still buy kits I did the master for<GG>

Cheers,
Martin
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
I went through all this and eventually decided to make my own vac-formed windows. It's a fairly big learning curve and quite time-consuming but if you really want a good job you sometimes have to rely upon yourself.

Cheers

Andy
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top