SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slotcenter brings the news from latest spanish fair.

The great news : Spirit will make the Oreca Dallara LMP ! A rough prototype is already on show. It's one of the car that belongs to the top of my "Most wanted cars" list, so I'm really overjoyed by that news !

Here's the link (text in Spanish, I'm afraid) :

http://www.slotcenter.net/fabricantes/1203salohobby.htm

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Tucked away in that report is this link

http://www.slotcenter.net/fabricantes/1203carreradigital.htm

about Carerra's digital system!

Coop

via Babelfish

RACE PRESENTS/DISPLAYS IN THE HALL THE HOBBY OF BARCELONA ITS NEW DIGITAL SYSTEM, RACE EVOLUTION PRO-X

Agreeing with the important presence of Race in edition 2003 of the Hall the Hobby of Barcelona, the German mark I present/display to the press its new digital system RACE EVOLUTION PRO-X, besides to announce some of the new features for the next year that already we advanced to you days ago.

This new product allows that in a track of two tracks they can compete at the same time up to 4 cars, allowing the advancements when arriving at tracks equipped with change of track.

This system is compatible with the previous material of tracks of Evolution Race being necessary simply to change the connection track to which the "black box" is added to him that controls the system and the tracks of crossing to be able to make the advancements.

Before initiating the competition, the first step that is had to make is the identification of the cars that will participate in her. To it each car has a selector that we will have to put suitable On guard so that it is controlled by one of the four controls connected to the track.

Once complimented that requirement we can go to the track with our companions of test. The behavior of the model in track differs very little from such traditional cars of the Germanic company/signature. The difference is that if we maintain pressed a button located in the base of the control when passing by the crossing track the car will change of track.

The tracks of single change allow the passage from a track to another one in a direction. When arriving the car with the button tightened from the change at the track, a sensor located before the deflection opens the change track and the car crosses until the other track, closing itself the right change when happening the car. The system has been designed so that a second "amorrado" car to first cannot "be strained" in the change of track.

The cars have a guidance system who allows them to make the change of track surely, in addition to the chip and system of identification that allows them to be recognized by the digital system. The cars of Pro-X can be used in the traditional tracks of Evolution without no problem, not being possible the compatibility in opposite sense.

During the minutes that we proved the system in the ample circuit mounted by race we could glimpse the possibilities that can offer this system in the future, being the same game to which to manifold and new possibilities are opened to him.

The Race Evolution Pro-X will put the next spring on sale, beginning the production with a simple circuit that it will incorporate only two cars, two controls and the switchboard for 4 users in addition to the system of crossings. As accessory one will commercialize revolution counters digital and all the new elements that will allow to the present proprietors of a track race to update themselves easily to the digital system.

The models of cars initially made will be you formulate 1. Ferrari 2002, Williams FW25, McLaren MP4/17 and the Sauber C21.

On the possibilities of future Race comment that create firmly in the standardization of the system with other marks and that in the future next will be made developments to make circuits of 4 digital tracks or elements like pit-stops, although at the moment they do not consider to pass digital system to the greater scale, the 1/24.

·
Registered
714 Posts
QUOTE beginning the production with a simple circuit that it will incorporate only two cars, two controls and the switchboard for 4 users in addition to the system of crossings.
Only two - that's literally one up for SCX, with their three cars and controllers in the first set!
This is all going to be VERY interesting as it unfolds.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the main questions remains : will they make a profit in the end ?

I would rather see new curves, new borders, new accessories (pit lanes) and more cars and that would bring them money.

With digital, some may win, but not all of them.

If I've got a right picture of the situation, I don't see a bright future in all of this. At the moment, you can have a Sport, Classic, Ninco, Carrera or SCX track and still race any model from all those makes (and others that produce only cars like Spirit, Vanquish, Revell, SlotIt, ...) . It means that all those makes make a profit even if we don't race on their track.

What will happen when (if?) digital becomes "de rigueur" ?

You will only be able to race cars of the same make than the track (if I have the right picture).

This will mean that the manufacturers will only earn money when they sell their track and when they sell cars to those who race on their track. It means a great deal LESS people and LESS car sales. If I am right, I fear some might simply disappear from the market ...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
very good point fast lucky. Manufacturers would do well to ensure some compatibility with each others digital systems, or relatively easy/inexpensive conversion kits to change other cars to their system

·
Registered
392 Posts
But the Davic system? I believe that it is compatible with all the previous cars and (almost) tracks ( see the last MasSlot Int.); what is the need for these SCX / Carrera uncompatible and different systems? More problems than solutions in the short time; in the future, who knows?
Ciao

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
One incompatibity problem arises where the lane changing system requires action from the CAR.

This is true in the case of SCX, where the signal for a car to change lanes actuates an effective 'lowering' of the guide blade so that it can engage with a deeper slot in the track section that then diverts the car. If the blade isn't 'lowered', then the car will go straight on. It's a good and apparently reliable method. If anything goes wrong with the car mechanism, well you can always run another car.

The alternative is to have the signal actuate a mechanism in the TRACK section and the difficulty here is that, because slot cars travel extremely fast, there is a distinct possibility of the car missing the change or of making it, but a closely following car also making it - against its driver's wishes! Also, and unlike the previous principle, if anything goes wrong with a track controlled mechanism, then no one can run anything on the track until it is fixed. it is also fair to say that the track changeover sections are BOUND to cost more than the SCX system.

On balance, I would suggest that SCX have made a good choice of system, though it remains to be seen how it performs in the longer term..

I feel there may well be ways of overcoming this particular incompatibility but at present, on the face of it, the problem appears to be there.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Agreed with Tropi on the benefits of SCX. I assume scalextric have ideas in the pipeline, and since this method uses a guide which gets deeper while the braid plate stays at the same height, I pondered their new guide system with a seperate braid plate and guide....

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Points gleaned from BFish er,Transloootion

1,Carrera system uses all Standard Carrera track,you just add the Controll section,and the crossovers.Points to Carrera

2,The Digital cars will run on Standard tracks,without all the digital stuff(but not the other way round).Double Bonus Points to Carrera.

3,I think it says,that only the switched car will change lanes,and a Following car will not.Tripple Extra Bonus Points to Carrera.

Now how do they look compared to SCX

·
Registered
714 Posts
At this point, I'm not sure, but doesn't the Carrera system, in principle, work similarly to SCX in having the mechanism in the car rather than the track? They may not be exactly the same, but I suspect are basically similar. SCX simply HAD to have a new track to enable a deeper slot. No way am I taking sides here, as I don't know enough detail and I suspect they will all be dismal commercial failures in any case!

This pessimism does not stop me from being EXTREMELY interested in the systems though.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
I had missed this thread - as it happens, your Lordships might find my "Prospects for Digital" thread of passing interest, as soon as some most excellent Moderator vets it

Beppe

G

·
would someone like to help me out and tell me what was said about the Pegosa
Z-102 model in the show's pictures as I can't read Spanish. Thanks RR.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Sorry if your post was held up Beppe - I was missing for several hours.
I just got back and I see it is showing now.

Jeff (RR) I don't read Spanish either unfortunately. But you can get half reasonable translations by pasting the address into Google and taking Translate this page - hope this helps a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.