SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my new 'Resilient Resins' shells from Douglas Haynes in the US. Three favourite cars of mine- Aston DBR1, Hussein and Scarab rear-engined sports. They seem to be very much on a par with Classic shells in terms of quality and finish, but MUCH thinner- almost transparent in places! Quite flexible and very light. There's a lot of meat around the front and rear though, where crash damage is likely to occur, and also where they need the most work to detail them- grinding out intakes and radiator grilles might get to be more risky on these lightweights than on Mr Fitzpatrick's models.
There are no extras, apart from vacformed windscreens (although you do very thoughtfully get a spare), as Mac Pinches gives you with his beautiful Pre-Add kits. No exhausts, driver, mirrors etc. A set of vacformed headlight covers would be a nice option for those of us who aren't really content to paint the fairings silver.
The Scarab is the most visually attractive of the three, to me anyway. But I havn't been able to find detailed dimensions yet to check accuracy. The DBR1 checks out fine- at last a proper 1/32 shell to replace the vintage Scaley model.
The Hussein is nice- Mr Haynes has wisely decided to omit the ugly circular air filter later cars had on the rear deck, but the shape looks odd. I checked it against an old vacform body in my 'collection' (Dubro? Pactra?) and it is much longer. I then found loads of plans on the internet, and all came out in favour of the vaccie, dimensionally.
Never mind. All three will drop easily onto a Carrera A6GCS Maser chassis, if you want to take the easy route. But three tasty models.
Me? A flexi-sidewinder or nothing!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE The Scarab is the most visually attractive of the three, to me anyway. But I havn't been able to find detailed dimensions yet to check accuracy.

Just so you can torture yourself some more howmet
, these are the dimensions for the 1959 Scarab Mk II:

length 168"
width 66"
height 42"
w/b 92"
f/t 52"
r/t 50"

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Howmet...I've also just got the Scarab and the Ferrari from Doug. Think I'm going to try the E.J chassis, looks pretty period.

I was also looking at the headlight, and my previous attempts at headlight glazing have been pretty pathetic, so I thought I might try to make some suitable decals.

Regards

Alan

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Howmett I used my Dupro Hussein for a mould and resin cast one,must build it one day!

Does any one know which of these bodies are out of scale?

Phil

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that JP (hunches over smoking adding machine, winding handles and sliding abacus beads...) That seems to work out fine.
Any good photos, JP? I love that colour scheme and the sexy white flashes on the nose. All I have is some B&Ws in my US sports car racing books.

As far as I can make out from accumulated data, measurements and plans, that Dubro vaccie Hussein (if that's what it is) is accurate. The 'Resilient' one seems to have grown 6-7mm, mainly in the nose, Pinnochio-like? The vents on the bonnet look a little exagerrated too, but what the heck- it too is one very funky car.

Sorry about the delay in the Xylon, BJ. Summer hols are here now- so I'll have even less time for other than virtual builds (like the ones above...)

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
No worries Howmet, (pathetic excuse tho').........

Russell has sent me (several!) shells and bits of shell....to complete one!......Why does he have that evil smile on his face?.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
So, the chickens have come home to roost Alan...

howmet, my Scary pics all seem to be b&w's too, apart from one featured in "Pro Sports Car Racing in America 1958-1974" (it is what it says on the cover!) by Dave Friedman - page 86 if you have it. The main colour detail that often seems to get missed is the red outline to the white roundels and flashes. Check this out:

Gearhead Droppings Sports Cars

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
"I was also looking at the headlight, and my previous attempts at headlight glazing have been pretty pathetic, so I thought I might try to make some suitable decals."

I'm not sure if you are referring to the Scarab, Beejay, nor whether this is the '59 car, but if it's the same as the Resilient body then you have no worries about the headlight covers:-

Sorry they're scary black and white piccies.... and I don't know if this helps you at all!

With kind regards

Russell

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
They will do just fine Russell......It wasn't so much the Scarab, but the Ferrari I was worried about, but I guess I could use some bits from the parts box to try and make some up.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isn't the lower one a Mk1 Chaparral? Nice shots of the Scary Scarab. What chance a new American sports car getting a a name with those last four letters these days? They'd probably get impounded in Gauntanamo....

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Yep...Resilient do one of those in 1/24th......hope they make a 1/32nd version.

Regards

Alan

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
"Isn't the lower one a Mk1 Chaparral?"

The pullover is in the mail to you, Howmet.... (insert embarrassed looking yellow disk with eyes and mouth here).

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
232 Posts
Gentleman,
if you want to see or order mor Resilient Resins here from/to Europe I can take care of that as I am taking care of Dougs bodys here in Europe. 1/32 and 1/24.

I have not updated my homepage yet with the 1/32 bodys yet, but they are availble already. I will also sell a few on ebay.de.

I started to build a Ferrari 250TR in 1/32 and I will be using a Slot.it chassis (inliner) with a reverse motor mount so that I can use a Fly standard motor.

Pic hopefully in one or two weeks.

Nico

http://www.grenzlandslot.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts