SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on my second body shell. This is going easier than the Porsche but I think I have made a big mistake in not including items like the exhaust system and filler caps etc. as part of the original cast. I had plans to make a few variations on the car so though that leaving these bits off would make things less complicated.

My current problem is with the resin. I've just had two attempts at casting some of the smaller items to finish the car off. As far as I'm aware every thing was clean and I mixed together correctly. The mixture looked the same at earlier casts I have done when I poured into the moulds. However when I returned it was as if the resin had turned to foam. It had bubbled up out of the mould and the cast parts were full of holes and fell to bits when I touched them.

Any suggestions as to what I've done wrong and how to solve.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The problem is not something that you did, it's with the nature of resin: it has a limited life span. After opening, it will absorb moisture from the air, causing it when mixed to turn foamy. That's why your first several casts were good, then after waiting-what? between several weeks to a month- your other casts are bad. Ettore

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ettore

That would be it. I 've been casting a lot in the past two months mainly because I understood resin only had a 6 months shelf life and I did purchase early last year.

I have a order for new stuff on its way so looks like I'll have to dump the old.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Jak,

It depends on the resin as to it's shelf life. I use Vagabond's, and I know for a fact my first 45 Firebirds were out of a bottle that was 3 years old and had been opened.

As for the foamy look - maybe there is a shelf life on the resin you are using.

Sorry to hear about that - this is frustrating at times for sure!

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Foamy resin has less to do with age/shelf life than moisture contamination.

Pour what you need,and the,close the lids imediately.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Al,

Good point! On mine, I keep XX amount in a squeeze bottle in the fridge. It's an A&B mixture. I use the squeezes until empty before refilling from the master jugs. Those, I keep tightly sealed.

Of course, in Colorado, we don't have any moisture!

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
QUOTE Of course, in Colorado, we don't have any moisture!
Certainly not in the Winter time Eh!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Nah, it's a DRY powder! Hence the dang draught we've had the past few years, and the static shock I get everytime my dog walks by (between you and me, I think she purposefully drags her paws on the carpet!).

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
QUOTE (between you and me, I think she purposefully drags her paws on the carpet!).
I bet it ain't her paws she's draggin across the Carpet.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Daryl,

Thanks! It's been a fun project. The 510 looks good on paper and as soon as I knock out a few other bodies, it's going to start getting roughed in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts