SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

_saab1_00.jpg

This is my Saab thread in english language. I have once owned a Saab 96 and here in Finland this car is well loved classic. Many people have asked for the Saab 96 bodies and the only option has been very poor and very hard to get Ocar Saab 96 body.

_saab1_08.jpg

The Ocar Saab 96 body is very poor quality body. It has air bubbles, is very heavy and some dimensions are wrong, the body is too short. Still it has some nice basic forms of the Saab so I decided to use the Ocar body as basis for my new Saab 96 body.

The first thing was to stretch the Ocar body to correct dimensions. I cut the body in half and added filler. At background you can see 1:43 Saab as visual reference.

_saab1_01.jpg

Next a mould was done with this first master. In this way I can pull candidate bodies for the final master body production. The new master candidate bodies have uniform material and I cast them with Axson F1 polyurethane which is easy to sand and tool.

This body will become the final master

_saab1_02.jpg

This body has donated windows for final production

_saab1_03.jpg

With LOTS of sanding glueing and material forming the final Saab 96 master body is produced.

_saab1_04.jpg

_saab1_05.jpg

The Saab body will have ready to use M2.5 thread body mounting posts.

_saab1_06.jpg

The master body is now ready for mould production. I will make 2-part mould and aim for very thin and durable fiberglass re-enforced resin bodies.

... to be continued ....

Cheers!

Julius

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi!

Dunno abot the master, maybe I have too much time on my hands.

I have already used resin-fiberglass methos with my earlier cars, Lada 1200 and Ford 1934. Saab will be even easier body for this technique since the Saab body is very round and smooth.

I have already pulled couple of bodies out of the Saab 96 mould. This body is resin-fiberglass composite as described earlier. Use of fiberglass enables me to make the body very thin compared to other resin bodies without compromising strength. You can drop this body on the floor or slam your car to a wall after main straight and this body will not break.

_saab1_09.jpg

_saab1_10.jpg

While the body is in good shape I can concentrate on chassis. For chassis design I scan the body. This way I can get everything in place for the first time.

_saab1_07.jpg

I have been told that the Saab has to be front wheel drive so here is the first scetch for the chassis.

_beltsaabv00.jpg

This design proposal did not get good comments, people are less than enthusiastic about belt (rubber band) drive.

... to be continued ...

·
re member
4,162 Posts
Love it when a man cuts up a classic only to reassemble it later on.

I am following this closely.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I like this kind of scratchbuilding, the final body is very nice.
How did you scan the body?
The divetrain is - let's call it exotic - and I don't see any advantage in this concept. I would either mount a small motor with conventional drivetrain in the front or use a standard sidewinder setting on the rear axle.
Best regards
Thomas

·
Registered
986 Posts
This design proposal did not get good comments, people are less than enthusiastic about belt (rubber band) drive.
In other threads in years past you've shown tidy belt drive & cdrom-motor projects. I'm fairly sure I've found them all now via Google, but if you ever devoted a full thread to these, I've missed that and I'd very much like to read it.

Also if you've any thread-links handy that are in Finnish, I can try my luck with Google translate.

IF I am remembering rightly (that's a big IF) I also followed dead links to an old site of yours, & tried them in the wayback machine. But no luck because archive.org didn't have the images to go with those pages.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Julius, This is a much needed addition to the slot catalogue,and so much better than the Ocar…

I will follow this build with immense interest - Well done!

Regards - Bob

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi again!

Thanks for positive comments! Sorry if anyone has encountered dead links. I have lots of stuff here at SF and my images should still come from Photobucket???

Back to the Saab...

Since belt drive was not liked design (exotic indeed) I did more traditional frontal sidewinder chassis with a small Mitsumi motor. Mitsumi is like a shortened version of the small FF motor used with slotcars. One special feature is the drop-arm system. Idea is to separate wheel pressure and guide pressure from each other. The front wheel drivetrain is demanding concept. Transmission is 8/30 with cheap chinese modulus 0.5 toy gears.

_gearsaabv00.jpg

The design consists of flat planes since I wanted to use Chinese PCB manufacturers for my chassis production. Basically the chassis is a printed circuit board.

In order to transfer the design to PCB software I have to lay every component flat on a single plane and do some dimensioning.

_gearsaabv01.jpg

This is how the chassis components look like in PCB design software. I use KiCad for PCB design. 3D has been done with Rhinoceros. For 3D laser scanning I have Roland LPX-60.

_gearsaabv02.jpg

Here are the chassis components straight from China. One PCB is one unassembled chassis with everything you need for a car. Cost is about $8 for one chassis PCB. This was test order of 20pieces, the price drops if I order more.

_gearsaabv03.jpg

... to be continued ...

Reactions: MarcusPHagen

·
Registered
986 Posts
Thanks for positive comments! Sorry if anyone has encountered dead links. I have lots of stuff here at SF and my images should still come from Photobucket???
No problem!

Only to explain, I followed this old post

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

but autorata is dormant.

http://www.autorata.net/

but it is in Wayback...

https://web.archive.org/web/20050728142001/http://www.autorata.net/

& Wayback can be translated by Google... but Wayback kept no images... & Wayback performed badly on these old CGI sites. (IE, if there are pages 1, 2, 3, etc, then you can only see page 1.)

So I chased my own tail. But that's okay. As you say, "Back to the SAAB"

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Your divetrain concept is still exotic but very, very interesting. Obviously you have all the computer and 3d skills and it would have been simple to create a 3D printed chassis instead. I love those approaches which are different to the mainstream. I would expect that this professional 3D scanner has been bought not only for the hobby.
Best regards
Thomas

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi!

Autorata.net was our old site ten years ago. Since then all the content has been transferred to:

https://finslot.net/kotirata1/artikkelit.html

I am not sure if ALL the content has been transferred.

I prefer PCB chassis over printed one for several reasons. PCB manufacturing is very cost effective industrial process. I can order any number of chassis components and they arrive within one week from order. PCB is very cheap. 3D printing would take a long time to print a chassis. I have extruder and I have printed a chassis for the Ford 1934. While chassis itself was good - producing it was difficult. I made a silicone mould of the printed chassis and produced a chassis consisting of fiberglass and resin. I had problems with warping and durability of these chassis(ses?). PCB on the other hand is non-warping, extremely rigid and easy to assemble. I will stick to PCB unless someone can present significantly better alternative.

... back to SAAB ...

At the picture below you can see all the chassis components firstly separated and then soldered together. Motor holder will be soldered with the motor to its place. Rear plate requires some 2mm bolts. Front bearings are HO-model train 2mm brass bearings. Oh, I did not mention before that I use mainly 2mm stuff with my resin cars.

_chassis01.jpg

Fully assembled chassis below. Drop arm seems to be working nicely. Rims are my special production run from a local CNC shop. They turned 1000 pcs for my projects. This rim is in use with my Lada and Ford 1934 models as well. Wheels are Vytaflex 40 polyurethane rubber. Motor Mitsumi 13000rpm so very low power.

_gearsaabv04.jpg

To be continued...

Cheers!

Julius

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Wow! This is a whole new world of slotting for me. I like that Saab 96 very much too - I'm old enough to remember Eric Carlsson.

Thanks for posting

Andy

·
Registered
258 Posts
Beautiful work. No criticism about your chassis at all. I do print myself my demand with ABS and typically I don't have stability issues.
How does your car behave on the track with this configuration?
Best regards
Thomas

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, ABS is more durable than PLA. I find it harder to print ABS than PLA though. I am always open for suggestions for better techniques.

Here is the Saab body painted in red. Front grille is aluminium tape, lights are chromed half-pearls with UVgel lenses. Side chrome strips are chrome nail art tape. All in all the painted body looks very nice. I am still missing the interior and windshields.

_saabkori1.jpg

_saabkori2.jpg

And finally the body mounted on chassis. Drive feel was very good. Even though the car is front wheel drive there is no problems with either traction or power pickup. Front wheels press sturdily on the track and the guide is pressed down just enough with the motor cables. I feared that I would have to do some spring system to the guide but apparently it works as is. I like this, I like simple solutions - motor cables act as a downward pressing spring for the guide.

Negatives is, and this was apparent, that the Mitsumi motor is somewhat underpowered. I would say that speed is sufficient enough for a curvy hometrack but the car feels underpowered at big club-track. For now I will still keep this chassis design and test electrical and motor options for more speed. I know that some people just want the Saab 96 and will never ever drive it on the track, they just want to keep the car as a shelf queen.

_gearsaabv05.jpg

This is all I have for now, I will concentrate on windshields and interior - maybe some Monte Carlo decals.

Cheers!

Julius

..... to be continued ....

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
dribble.gif
what a job ! Following your work with interest ......as with are watching for a V4 Saab 96 ( scale 1 ! ) my wife and I ....

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi!

Thanks!

Just finished first front and rear bumpers and attached them to the first test bodies. Bumpers look good but maybe I will tweak them a little bit more

_bumpers.jpg

Still no windows, but I am hopeful...

Cheers!

Julius

Reactions: Andyslot

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,791 Posts
Hello Julius

I am very interested the chassis design. I have a lot of old style 1/24 bodies (Tamiya reproductions, resin and plastic kits) that I am wanting to turn into slot cars. The biggest hold up for me has been finding a suitable (and affordable) chassis.

Where can I find more details of where you get the chassis made?

Thank you
David

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi!

Presently I have three chassisses which I use for Lada 1200, Ford 1934 and Saab 96 -60.

All chassis are PCB (printed circuit board) chassis. My favourite manufacturer for PCBs is: https://www.pcbcart.com/

But you will have to produce manufacturing files with PCB software such as KiCad: http://kicad-pcb.org/

I have noticed that several people has the same problem as you do so lets discuss this at separate thread here: https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=185177

Cheers!

Julius

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi all!

This is a story about windshields.

To start windshield production I poured some hard resin into the Saab mould. As a result I got ultra lowrider Saab. This half-body will provide the templates for the windshields.

_glasses01.jpg

I mounted the windshield templates to the 10mm bolts for ease of handling and started sanding.

_glasses02.jpg

Template pieces will provide a tool for me to press-form windshields. Here I test fit the template to the body.

_glasses03.jpg

At the picture below ready templates for front and rear glasses

_glasses04.jpg

I do not own a proper vac-form device and that's why I will press-form front and rear glass with the templates. I also feel that separately produced front and rear windows will fit more accurately than one complete vacuformed window piece.

_glasses05.jpg

For side windows I trace the required shape with Rhinoceros 3D and print multiple copies to a transparent film.

_glasses06.jpg

Side glasses

_glasses07.jpg

Saab bodies fully equipped with glassworks

_glasses08.jpg

Next I should concentrate on interior

Cheers!

Julius

---- Saab continues ....

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.