SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a product, process or technique to restore the "new look" shiny finish on plastic bodies?

I have a few cars in good condition, not missing mirrors, wings or any other body part, but I would like to restore as much as I could the shiny finish....any ideas?

Cheers

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Cesar,

Just a friendly reminder: for this kind of question it often helps to say where you are located, since products and product names differ from country to country...

Some products may be global, but go under different names, while others only exist in certain countries, or may have different chemical formulas.

Of course, if it's just something like "wash with soap and water", that's pretty universal!

Don

·
Rich Dumas
3,545 Posts
The easiest thing to use is probably what was called "Future" in the US. The product has been renamed "Pledge with Future Shine" for the US market. In other countries the name "Klear" has been used. The maker is S. C. Johnson. The product is water based and can simply be brushed on. Future has been known to cause some types of white paint to yellow, so you might want to test that.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
If these are cars without paint, just plastic, then you can use any plastic polish or simple Colgate tooth paste. This works especially well on old 60's cars if you want to restore the body and remove scratches. Afterwards you can clear-coat as RichD recommends if desired.
You can use something like toothpaste or fine car polish/wax on painted bodies but be very careful. For example, I removed the "weathering/mud effect" from a car using this method and didn't damage the Tampo underneath. If your more specific as to which cars you want to restore maybe a more exact answer can be provided.

Jimmy

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I have found a buff up with a duster is fine ..... sometimes a bit of window cleaner if it is very dusty or gruby.

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
You could try T-Cut (I use the cheap alternative from Wilkinsons - it does the same job). Try it on an inconspicuous bit first if you are unsure. Then finish off afterwards with an automotive polish.

·
Registered
627 Posts
i picked up a job lot of rather sorry looking cars which several of which have come up beautifully using autoglym super resin polish. the f40 came up to the point that enzo himself would have been wetting his pants (or what goes under them if you are based in the usa). go very careful around any tempo though , i just started to eat into it on the 959 ever so slightly. so if you have any un-liveried cars , i would personally go with this or a similar non-agressive polish. i would steer away from any cutting compounds. the autoglym has a very , very gentle cutting action which also makes it great on clear plastics.

·
Registered
998 Posts
As long as there is no tampo on a car then any car polish will be fine to use...if it's got tampo printing on then I would not receoomned doing that as they have fine abrasives in them that can take the tampo off.

·
Registered
627 Posts
i guess any automotive trim shine product with silicon in it would shine a shell up for a while without being "aggressive" to the materials.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I asked this question a while back and at the time "Klear" was the suggestion I went with.
It work fine, I cleaned off any dirt and grim with a clean cloth and then just dipped the "body only" in to a bowl of Klear and then just left it to drip dry, brought the bodys up a treat.

cabbyman

1 - 14 of 14 Posts