SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Last Place is my Place
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people.
I have alot of Scalextric sport track with some being 6-7 years old, with most peaces rusting,and on some rails in the track so badly bent that its going o be a hell of a job, also ive got a wire brush drill bit which is made for removing rust will this work on the track? and scrubbing the the track to make it look new, What do i use?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Get rid of any track that is past the point of no return, use the yellow/green scours you find in the kitchen. You only want the green scour part but if you just go and buy the green scours from your local shop they for some reason don't work as well as the yellow foam/green scour combo's. I use scissors and cut strips off the width of the rails and use these in 3cm lengths. Give the rails a scrub and add WD40 to the mix, once clean and shiny use Inox on the rails to protect them from further rusting. I'm slowing cleaning up some old classic track that is coming up a treat and have used the same method on a few pieces of sport track.

Matt

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Matt,
Will the green scour strip the protective coating (as well as rust) off the rails? I have read that there is a coating on the rails that is removed if one used harsh methods like sand paper. Also, the INOX does not dry fully, as I understand it, so did not know how it would act as a permanent protectant.

Please advise where I may be wrong.
Thanks.
Cheers!

·
Registered
454 Posts
G'day Sealevel,
On the old classic track that has rust on it I'm pretty sure that the protective coating is already gone so it takes a bit of elbow grease but the pieces I have cleaned so far have come up nice and shiny. For the extra rusty pieces I really don't bother but have had a go at a couple of these and they do come up shiny but if you look close enough you can see where the rails are pitted from the rust. On my sports track layout I have used the green scourer on heavily tarnished pieces with a little WD40 and they have also come up nice and shiny, from what I can tell the scourer doesn't remove the protective coating and I'm not applying the same pressure to the rails as I have on the classic track. The scourers are more like a plastic material and therefore not as harsh as sandpaper.
When I first set my Sport track up in the Garage/shed a couple of years ago I found that during the winter months some of the track had started to form a little surface rust. Since cleaning and applying Inox I have had no more problems with rust whatsoever and no problems with power issues either. I usually give the track a good clean once a month, a quick vacuum, wipe down with damp rag, WD40 the rails to remove any other dirt and finally a thin coat of Inox to the rails. You are correct in saying that the Inox doesn't dry completely but you don't need to use a heap, when I first used it I was quite surprised as to how much smoother the cars seemed to run on the scaley track. I use it on the braids of the cars as well by applying it with a small brush to the braids only, my mates laughed at me until they saw how well the power improved.

cheers

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts