SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title is a bit premature as I still have 3 weeks to go but most of this post will be what the title says.

Up until a few weeks ago the last cars I had built from scratch were back in the early 1970's.

I have started a couple of threads in the scratch build and vintage forums in the last few week but have decided to bring all builds together here.

First new build was this Hawk Lotus 30 kit built using a SCR chassis...

Input device Cutting mat Space Electric blue Engineering

link to full post https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=196261#entry2343547

The completion of this will be covered here.

I'm also in the process of giving some vintage Airfix/MRRC body kits and authentic finish..

Link to posting here https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197045&p=2355315

and I will continue to update those here as well.

I also have this George Turner Ferrari

Automotive lighting Automotive design Electric blue Space Submersible

and this will be the subject for my next posting

Attachments

·
Gordon Steadman
6,916 Posts
All my builds are retirement builds!

Eight years in, my wife still has other ideas about how I spend my time
smile.png

Bit unfair that but I thought it sounded good. Ronnie is very understanding and allows me out for at least an hour a day.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm lucky as the wife doesn't really push to get jobs done at home although I think there will be a lot of can we got out somewhere today. Not complaining to much about this as | can get a bit of photography done. Still will have lots to do though as I've been putting things off for a while. To be honest the most time consuming thing will be getting my website up to date.

Then need to clear the shed and start on the latest version of my track.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the Ferrari 801 secondhand as just the body kit with chassis.

Sky Rotorcraft Automotive design Helicopter rotor Electric blue

and as in the above photo I was going to use mainly Scalextric running gear that I had in the spares box. However having built the Lotus I thought I would try and do something better.

In the end this has become almost a kit build as I ordered most of the parts that are listed on the GTM website for this model from Pendel's.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font World Automotive exterior

Product Blue Tire Automotive tire Wheel

Product Font Automotive tire Gas Electric blue

Only parts I already had was the guide and braids.

Gas Electrical wiring Audio equipment Machine Electrical supply

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wood Flooring Gas Automotive exterior Countertop

Wood Flooring Gas Automotive exterior Countertop

The car sits very nicely on all four wheels and runs quite well on my Airfix track.

Next I needed some paint

Water Green Liquid Azure Rectangle

And in this case no approximations but the real thing, not only for this build but some more to come.

the colours are from left to right..

Ford Ermine White

Ford Spruce Green

Team lotus Racing Green

Ferrari - Maserati Rosso Corsa

Aston martin Verde BRG

So here we are with two coats of the Rosso Corsa

Land vehicle Car Tire Wheel Vehicle

Land vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Toy Motor vehicle

Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel

While I was in Painting mode the Airfix lotus got my attention.

This is how it arrived, a standard Airfix body kit.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

The body primed

Gadget Electric blue Plastic Input device

And now two coats of the Team Lotus racing Green

Electric blue Gadget Fashion accessory Plastic Gloss

Decals for both the Lotus and other cars have been ordered from Patios. The Lotus 24 will get a authentic finish but as already stated only the standard Airfix running gear and no extra detailing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another body got a coat of primer yesterday..

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Toy

Have a guess what the Ford Ermine White is for. The green detailing should be in Sherwood Green but no one seem to produce this in a spray can,although I believe it is available from Dupont. So I will be using the Ford Spruce Green which from the colour charts is slightly darker.

This will be another simple build being a MRRC body kit that takes the MRRC/Airfix high speed running gear.I will however be getting some Patios decal which are on order.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
had a few decal sheets arrive the other day from pattos so time to do some more spraying me thinks.

Sets received are..

Vanwall F1s

Matra F1s

Jim Clark Lotus Cortina

BRM F1s

Eagle F1

Ford GT40s

Ferrari 250LMs

Honda F1s

Lotus 30 & 40s

So now time to complete the Lotus 30. After a checking the fit of the main decals I will have to go with a simple finish as the diamond nose decal doesn't fit the hawk body properly. Yes I could mask the body up and paint the yellow but as I don't have my spray both up and running or my airbrush at the moment and need to get some practice in I'm going for decals. So the car of choice is the car Jim Clark race at the 1964 Goodwood Tourist Trophy meeting which also means I can also do a few other cars from this same meeting. This means I can also do the 250LM and a GTO or two and the Airfix E-Type seems quite easy to convert to the Lightweight.

Clothing Trousers Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Little up date as I've had a few more bits arrive and added some decals to the Lotus 30

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Toy Hood Wheel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting, I hit the wrong button and posted after the first 2 photos then went back in to edit but it wouldn't let me post it but look like the photos have been added but not the words.

so again..

Little up date as I've had a few more bits arrive and added some decals to the Lotus 30

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Toy Hood Wheel

Tire Automotive lighting Toy Motor vehicle Vehicle

Only thing missing as not included in the Pattos decals is the word Driver Jim clark behind the roundels

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Just need to get into the detail work now, but will be leaving that for a while. just waiting to here back from Darthobbies so I can order the accessories he has done for his copy of the Hawk Lotus 30 which includes windscreen and a driver that fits.

One small point of confusion at this time is that some phots reputing to be from Goodwood in '64 show two single exhaust as per my build and some appear to have two double exhaust.

I bought this on ebay

Car Tire Vehicle Toy Automotive design

This is the MRRC Ferrari 275P, what I really need is a 330P but these seem to be in very short supply in the slot world. However checking on the official Ferrari website the only difference would appear to be the change of engine and increase in weight all body and chassis details appear to be identical so I was going to do a repaint as the Graham Hill car that also ran at Goodwood in '64.

Then I found this on ebay, arrived from Portugal in four working days.

Product Automotive design Rectangle Table Red

So I will be using this instead as it will save having to strip the RTR car.

Also received two sets of these from Spain, again in four working days.

Gas Font Circle Electric blue Engineering

Bought mainly for the wheels as the front ones are quite narrow and are handy to use with my various SRC sidewinder chassis.

A new build is also under way, although not a lot to show yet

Started with one of these, SRC Lola T600 chassis. Got three of these for 0.99 euro so if it all goes wrong not the end of the world.

Gas Auto part Wood Metal Electric blue

made a few adjustments to get to this, still need to adjust the wheelbase

Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

I was going to use the wheels from the kit but while trying to find the right size rear axle form the assorted Porsche 906 packs I again got from SRC, 8 axles in a pack for 2.10 euro, I managed to break one of them so for the moment it's got MRRC Porsche 904 wheels as they are the correct size. If I fit the kit hub caps they should look fine but we shell see.

Can't show the body as it's in the shed waiting for the weather to improve so I can primer and top coat, but here's part of the interior

Toy Motor vehicle Automotive tire Machine Electric blue

Went for a sidewinder again so I can use hopefully the full interior. I should really change the front seats at the very least and add a roll cage but want to keep it as close to the kit as possible so I'm going to build it as the standard road going car but with race numbers.

if you can guess what it is good, if not you will have to wait till the body is painted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok not a lot has happened but as the strong winds over the weekend have died down and after other jobs were done I had a little time before it got dark so got the primers cans out.

Airfix kit

Automotive design Hood Toy Plastic Electric blue

Car Toy Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle

This is a resin body I printed designed by forum member NimROD

Toy Plastic Electric blue Gun accessory Aircraft

Toy Rectangle Plastic Electric blue Wood

And this is the car that the above chassis is being adapted to fit and will hopefully have a full interior so I'm also painting the interior.

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Toy

Vehicle Hood Car Toy Motor vehicle

Bumper Automotive design Electric blue Automotive exterior Rectangle

It needs at least one more coat of primer, white over dark green not good

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had a little box of bits turn up from Spain to day that I ordered last week.

Back in the 69' / 70' at my school club I was running a Mk1 Capri vac body, bought from Wonderland, with a Revell ladder chassis. I have been trying to find a vac Mk 1 body for a while now, so I could rebuild this car, without any success. The Wonderland body was a fairly plain Mk 1 and was probably modeled on the standard road car but could have been a RS, memory fails a bit after all these years.

So instead I'm going to do a representation of the original car using modern parts.

So first item in the box

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

and the chassis to go with it

Brown Publication Rectangle Font Fashion accessory

Although I didn't order it they have also sent me this plain chassis.

Brown Eyewear Rectangle Glass Box

So I now have choice of side exhausts or standard.

Being a sidewinder, and as I already have some spare SRC sidewinder chassis, I ordered 3 motors

Material property Rectangle Font Plastic Transparency

and a few gears as well

Eyewear Display case Artifact Font Art

A couple more chassis, designed for the Ferrari 312

Toy Machine Rectangle Engineering Font

Some assorted wheels, 2 packs Ford Type, 2 packs Porsche/VW, 1 pack Porsche 914 and 4 packs Minilite

Clock Auto part Font Publication Audio equipment

Eyewear Food Wood Font Cuisine

Brown Vision care Material property Font Goggles

Food Product Eyewear Material property Cuisine

And another freebee, these decals

Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car Tire

May have to get another Capri body now just to use these.

Look like the next complete build will be the Capri as I already have the paint for it and it will be a fairly simple build.

The Zodiac got it's third coat of primer today and I think will be ready for it's top coat but need to sort the chassis first. Not planning on any real car at the moment. Although this might change if I can find some suitable photos of a white car, there are to many in green. The only one I've found so far is from down under in Auz in the 60's. So at the moment just a generic British Saloon Car Championship entry.

Also get the primer on a few more bodies today as the weather was reasonable, not topcoat weather but ok for primer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As I said got some primer on a few more bodies

Airfix Beetle

Toy Car Automotive design Hood Classic car

Revell Beetle

Car Hood Vehicle Toy Automotive design

and a resin Gordini 44

Electric blue Beige Engineering Plastic Fashion accessory

The Beetles will probably get either a PSR or MRRC inline chassis but not sure about the Gordini yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Beardy

If you're intending to fit the standard running boards (moulded into the chassis platform) to the Airfix Beetle body, I strongly advise that you stick the entire chassis to the body's underside. Leave it for several hours to ensure that the glue is dry, and then very carefully cut the chassis out with a dremel, thus leaving the running boards in their correct position.

All other methods will try your patience beyond endurance.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts